Thread: Kayak Trolling Motor Questions (Size, Battery, Rigging, Etc...)

vCash

Kayak Trolling Motor Questions (Size, Battery, Rigging, Etc...)

I got a KC Kayak that I'm going to rig with a transom mount minn Kota trolling motor and I've done a lot of reading but any input would be greatly appreciated. It seems that every decision is a trade of of some sort.

1) The motor- I'm getting an Endura 30lb or 40lb thrust. One advantage of the 30lb is a 30 inch shaft while the 40lb has a 36 inch thrust. I've read many people say buy the biggest motor possible but that will impact my battery decision later. I'll be using the motor more to increase my range than true trolling so I think the 30lb is plenty enough power.

2) The battery- Any opinions on here will be appreciated: 24 or 27 class? If I go 40lb thrust motor I have to go bigger. Is there a gold standard battery under $200? In pics of other folks rigging, I see plenty of exposed batteries. I'd prefer it fix a box like this:

3) The charger- I assume buying the minn kota charger I'm including a pic of would be fine but should I get a 7-stage charger instead?

4) Rigging- internal wire the battery to the front of the yak or can I get away with cooler/ice/drinks in the front to balance the weight? The simplicity of battery box in the back is attractive. Any feedback?

5) I'll be using more in freshwater with a handful of MS marsh trips a year and a LA marsh trip or 2 a year. As long as I thoroughly wash the shaft and remove the prop and rinse after each salt use, I should be ok right? Not really worried about warranty stuff since it's such a cheap motor.

Thanks in advance and here is a pic of yak for visual reference.

vCash
    I have a Minn Kota Endura 30 that I use on a 14ft Jon boat for piddling around some lights in PC occasionally. I don't do anything more than hose it off with everything else when I get back and it's been great. Salt water hasn't been a problem. Also, I bought a deep cycle Everstart from wal mart for ~$75 and it's still going after almost 3 years. I just keep it on a trickle charger at the house most of the time. I would be a little worried about the weight of both in the back, but I've never been in a KC.

If you want to take a test drive in it down here with these two and see what works, it would be fine with me. They're just sitting around the garage most of the time anyway.

Last edited by SpeckleDawg; 01-02-2017 at 08:29 PM.

vCash
    Thanks speck. That 27 class everestart might be the ticket for now. Good to know that it can stand up to the salt.

vCash
    24 should be fine, but I'd go with the 27, unless you are concerned about the difference in weight. I'd also go with the 40Lb thrust. You never know when you'll need that extra 10 lbs of thrust to get out of something... It doesn't matter if it's a jon boat, or a full blown bay boat, ALWAYS go with the biggest trolling motor / battery you can. I would have a 36 volt 108 on my 18 ft bass boat, but I don't have room for the 3rd battery. (using 29 series) I've got an 80# 24 volt, when that 40 would probably push it.
    ETA: that box is nice, but a milk crate works fine, if you can get one... also more room to put some stuff in it...
    cautiously optimistic

vCash
    A poster on TD showed me the nucanoe plug and play packages. I'll be using these for sure.

http://www.nucanoe.com/plug-play-kits/

vCash
    cadillacin'
    cautiously optimistic

vCash
    I'd go with a 27 with the most reserve capacity. It'll show as RC 150 or whatever. Make sure battery charger is compatible with the battery AGM or lead acid otherwise the charger can ruin the battery.