Thread: Food Plots for 2017-2018 deer/turkey season

vCash

Food Plots for 2017-2018 deer/turkey season

Got about 40-50 acres that needs a food source and wanted to get you guys' opinion. Maybe about 1/3 of it is plantable (rest is pine and hardwoods). What would you plant for deer and turkey? Have had corn and winter wheat a few years ago but wasn't able to get anything in this year. Location is NE MS.

vCash

Definitely get some white clover. Turkeys and deer can use almost year round

Are you saying you have about 15 acres to plant on 40-50 acres? If so, plant half in a white clover. I prefer ladino. It's a perennial so you can plant once & maintain from year to year.

Plant the other half in annuals. Winter mix of oats, wheat and crimson clover. Throw in some sugar beets or purple top turnips if you want to add some leafy winter mix.

vCash
    Yeah. I have about 15 acres to plant

vCash
    Just a suggestion but before you plant, take the time to pull soil samples of the soil you're going to be planting. This will take a little bit of time in the beginning but it could save you a lot of money in the long run and help you produce a top notch food plot. Seed and fertilizer cost too much, along with your time, blood, sweat and tears to not get the most out of your plot. A little bit of time spent on the front end can save you a world of heart ache and more money when it comes to planting a quality plot. You might be one of the few Hunter's that already does this and if so please disregard all the above.

Although I don't plant food plots, I did graduate with a turf degree from State. It doesn't matter if it's a golf course, ball field, yard, Ag field or food plot. It's always best to know what nutrients your soil is short, over or on par with. One other thing. Even though I'm a State guy, I'd suggest sending these samples to an independent lab for analysis vs. sending them to MSU. Good luck and let me know if I can help you with anything.

Edit: if test come back with the pH being low and requires a ton of lime and this is the only thing you can afford to put out then do it vs slinging 13-13-13 or any other fertilizer on it. If your soil has a really low pH it doesn't matter how much fertilizer and water you put on it the plot isn't going to germinate very well and really flourish. Most important thing a low pH soil needs 1st is lime then it's fertilizer.

This comes from a guy that sells fertilizer for a living but doesn't sell lime. Always, lime 1st then fertilizer 2nd when you plant anything anywhere.

** Unless you are planting something that thrives in a low pH soil. So research pH levels for the forage you wanting plant and go from there.
    Last edited by InTheIttaBenaHotSun; 01-04-2017 at 07:01 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by InTheIttaBenaHotSun View Post
    Just a suggestion but before you plant, take the time to pull soil samples of the soil you're going to be planting. This will take a little bit of time in the beginning but it could save you a lot of money in the long run and help you produce a top notch food plot. Seed and fertilizer cost too much, along with your time, blood, sweat and tears to not get the most out of your plot. A little bit of time spent on the front end can save you a world of heart ache and more money when it comes to planting a quality plot. You might be one of the few Hunter's that already does this and if so please disregard all the above.

Although I don't plant food plots, I did graduate with a turf degree from State. It doesn't matter if it's a golf course, ball field, yard, Ag field or food plot. It's always best to know what nutrients your soil is short, over or on par with. One other thing. Even though I'm a State guy, I'd suggest sending these samples to an independent lab for analysis vs. sending them to MSU. Good luck and let me know if I can help you with anything.

Edit: if test come back with the pH being low and requires a ton of lime and this is the only thing you can afford to put out then do it vs slinging 13-13-13 or any other fertilizer on it. If your soil has a really low pH it doesn't matter how much fertilizer and water you put on it the plot isn't going to germinate very well and really flourish. Most important thing a low pH soil needs 1st is lime then it's fertilizer.

This comes from a guy that sells fertilizer for a living but doesn't sell lime. Always, lime 1st then fertilizer 2nd when you plant anything anywhere.

** Unless you are planting something that thrives in a low pH soil. So research pH levels for the forage you wanting plant and go from there.
    Fantastic advice. As for what to plant.. as stated above clover is great for both deer and turkeys. A strip or two of chufa in your plot is also killer for turkeys, deer won't have too much to do with it but the turkeys absolutely love it.