Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: So did Mullen ever explain why on Fourth and 4..

Banned
    vCash

So did Mullen ever explain why on Fourth and 4..

When Fitz lost his helmet and got banged up he did not:

A. Kick the 39 yard FG

B. Call a TO and give DW a chance to loosen up and call the correct play, or

C. Call a TO so Fitz could go back in the game

I haven't heard yet and wanted to know why he chose neither of these three options.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Dog View Post

A. Kick the 39 yard FG

I haven't heard yet and wanted to know why he chose neither of these three options.
    I don't know if Dan ever was asked or if he was what his answer was but C was not an option. Fitz couldn't come back in for 1 play because his helmet came off.

vCash
    Does a TO let the player get back in without sitting out a play? Seems like if so that takes a lot of fire out of the rule.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    Does a TO let the player get back in without sitting out a play? Seems like if so that takes a lot of fire out of the rule.
    Yes if you call a TO he can come back in.

vCash
    Even with a TO, Fitz wasn't coming back in. He limped off the field on that play and was sitting on the training table for the 4th down play.

TO still would've helped DW get loose or given Dan time to call a different play, though.

vCash
    Mullen doesn't call TO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TXDawg View Post
    Even with a TO, Fitz wasn't coming back in. He limped off the field on that play and was sitting on the training table for the 4th down play.

TO still would've helped DW get loose or given Dan time to call a different play, though.
    I was actually kind of surprised that Fitz came back in to take a knee on the last play. Based on that I assume he was not hurt too bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Dog View Post

A. Kick the 39 yard FG

I think the answer to A is pretty easy. I'm kind of surprised at how many people are questioning how come we didn't attempt the field goal even though Graves made one earlier. The guy was horrible this year. No need to push our luck.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    He was saving the timeouts bc he knew he would need them to block the field goal

vCash
    The media rarely asks good questions.

Mullen out-leveled everyone. He knew if we made the FG that Miami would go for the TD. We couldn't keep them out of the endzone but we could block the FG. Mullen is a genius.

Honestly though, Mullen shit the bed. It was a mind-boggling poor decision. I guess he wanted to be sure Graves ended his career on a make. I've said it a million times going for it there and not going for it on 4th and 1 at mid-field are the kind of decisions that make me pull my hair out and question Mullen's game management.
    Last edited by HoopsDawg; 12-26-2016 at 09:17 PM.

vCash
    — On Mississippi State’s late fourth-down play, Mullen said the Bulldogs had the look they wanted, but they just didn’t execute. They considered a field goal, but Mullen said he felt comfortable with the fourth-down play. “I guess I don’t look as dumb as I could have looked,” he said.

vCash
    ? On Mississippi State?s late fourth-down play, Mullen said the Bulldogs had the look they wanted, but they just didn?t execute. They considered a field goal, but Mullen said he felt comfortable with the fourth-down play. ?I guess I don?t look as dumb as I could have looked,? he said.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    The media rarely asks good questions.

Mullen out-leveled everyone. He knew if we made the FG that Miami would go for the TD. We couldn't keep them out of the endzone but we could block the FG. Mullen is a genius.

Honestly though, Mullen shit the bed. It was a mind-boggling poor decision. I guess he wanted to be sure Graves ended his career on a make. I've said it a million times going for it there and not going for it on 4th and 1 at mid-field are the kind of decisions that make me pull my hair out and question Mullen's game management.
    I actually thought Graves was just a JR? Is he a SR?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    I don't know if Dan ever was asked or if he was what his answer was but C was not an option. Fitz couldn't come back in for 1 play because his helmet came off.
    Yes he could; From what I heard the ESPN radio guy say, because of the Targeting call Fitz was not required to sit out the play. I want to say I heard the ref say it as well.

If this was explained differently on TV, I don't know because I was driving and listening on XM. The ESPN radio announcers sucked ass, by the way. I bet they were from Nashville*

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjones View Post
    Yes he could; From what I heard the ESPN radio guy say, because of the Targeting call Fitz was not required to sit out the play. I want to say I heard the ref say it as well.

If this was explained differently on TV, I don't know because I was driving and listening on XM. The ESPN radio announcers sucked ass, by the way. I bet they were from Nashville*
    That was two different plays. The targeting call was earlier in the game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by maroonmania View Post
    I actually thought Graves was just a JR? Is he a SR?
    He's a junior but he is moving on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    That was two different plays. The targeting call was earlier in the game.
    Ok, thanks for the correction. I must have missed the play in question.

Banned
    vCash
    Mullen absolutely brutalized that call he shoulda used a timeout. Damian Williams doesn't overthrow a 6 yard pass and we never question it tho.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    He's a junior but he is moving on.
    Jesus. Another dental school departure or something? Why in the hell can't we retain kickers throughout their eligibility? I mean Graves wasn't an All SEC kicker or anything, but he was the best we had and was pretty dependable before the back injury (USA nonwithstanding).

vCash
    I can see why Mullen went for it. However the execution was just not good with fitz being out. The fg was the more logical call but he saw a td as sealing the game for sure