Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Freeze's Keys to Beating Bama

vCash

Freeze's Keys to Beating Bama

Just for laughs, thought I would post this.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/ho...012853773.html

According to the "anointed one", this is all you have to have or do to beat Bama:
    1) You have to have a good quarterback.
    2) Maintain the appearance of balance.
    3) You will not beat them unless you find a way to make explosive plays. You've got to be willing to take some shots, even if some of them don't work and you go three-and-out.
    4) Defensively, Freeze said the key is Alabama freshman quarterback Jalen Hurts. If Hurts is forced to make a high number of quality throws, the Tide is susceptible. "You've got to make that quarterback beat you with the pass" Freeze said. "That was our gameplan, and it was beautiful for a quarter. I don't think he can beat you throwing," Freeze said. "But he's one heck of a competitor, and he can run."

Seems simple enough right? I'm sure Washington has already picked Freezus' brain, since everyone knows what a great football coach he is....

vCash
    Did he do the break down while getting his "haircut" at High Cotton Salon?

vCash
    He left out the most important point: play them early in the year before they've gelled on defense and are most susceptible to gimmick, 50/50 ball-centered offenses.

vCash
    There is no cookie-cutter formula. You have to get breaks, and Ole Miss has gotten tons of them against Bama over the last three years. For all of the talk on Chad Kelly's numbers against the Tide, how many of those completions were ill-advised throws or 50-50 tosses where receivers made plays or caught bobbled/deflected balls? And he mentioned the appearance of balance, which is funny coming from a team that doesn't run the ball. A large number of his teams rushing yards came from the QB scrambling. Even the wooliest Ole Miss fan has to acknowledge that they have been extremely lucky against Alabama, from when they play them on the schedule, to fluke-ish plays being made, to poor officiating.

vCash
    I know he's not super popular but are you guys so naive as to think this model is NOT how to beat Bama? Sheesh. Look at Clemson, this is exactly how they played Bama toe to toe last year. It's also why I think Washington will play with Bama.

We had some of these except taking shots down the field vs them. Also one thing that helped OM was having a guy stretch the field between the hashes (Engram) and get mismatches in the middle of the field. I saw Mullen do it in one game....when we had Malcolm or when Fred was in the slot it revealed the weaknesses of their defensive scheme. You've gotta go vertical between the hashes. That's where the big plays are. You rarely will beat them deep in a conventional sense (outside with the Y or Z receiver).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach 57 View Post
    I know he's not super popular but are you guys so naive as to think this model is NOT how to beat Bama? Sheesh. Look at Clemson, this is exactly how they played Bama toe to toe last year. It's also why I think Washington will play with Bama.

We had some of these except taking shots down the field vs them. Also one thing that helped OM was having a guy stretch the field between the hashes (Engram) and get mismatches in the middle of the field. I saw Mullen do it in one game....when we had Malcolm or when Fred was in the slot it revealed the weaknesses of their defensive scheme. You've gotta go vertical between the hashes. That's where the big plays are. You rarely will beat them deep in a conventional sense (outside with the Y or Z receiver).
    In theory you are correct, but this is not really how Ole Miss played against them. Engram created mismatches in the middle and they were able to stretch the field, but there weren't a lot of five and seven step drops by the QB. Most of the time, Kelly scrambled and broke down the defense, and then hit a receiver on the run. I give him credit for making plays with his feet, but they also got a ton of breaks on 50-50 balls, and I would've liked to have seen a flag for linemen downfield on a couple of those plays, particularly in the game year before last.

vCash
    I completely disagree. Even when Bo was there they had the same game plan using Engram & was no where near the running threat Kelly was plus Kelly had a lot bigger arm. Go back and watch the games, Freeze although not the most popular coach to our fan base has the best formula to defeat Bama.

Most teams try to out Bama....Bama but you can't. You have to force them to play YOUR game. It's hard, and as you said above you've gotta make use of miscues on thier part (which is tough because they normally don't mess up) and have the ball bounce your way but that's the only way to beat them. Force them to defend the WHOLE FIELD not just 3yds & a cloud of dust but from sideline to sideline. And utilize 2 step drops, Washington won't be given time to make too many deeper step drops. Gotta make them play from sideline to sideline.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coach 57 View Post
    I completely disagree. Even when Bo was there they had the same game plan using Engram & was no where near the running threat Kelly was plus Kelly had a lot bigger arm. Go back and watch the games, Freeze although not the most popular coach to our fan base has the best formula to defeat Bama.

Most teams try to out Bama....Bama but you can't. You have to force them to play YOUR game. It's hard, and as you said above you've gotta make use of miscues on thier part (which is tough because they normally don't mess up) and have the ball bounce your way but that's the only way to beat them. Force them to defend the WHOLE FIELD not just 3yds & a cloud of dust but from sideline to sideline. And utilize 2 step drops, Washington won't be given time to make too many deeper step drops. Gotta make them play from sideline to sideline.
    I agree that it helps to be able to have explosive plays against them (which we haven't really had that ability). But check out this link and box score. We got thumped but mostly due to not being able to score in the red zone. Dan needs to get more creative down there. It helps to have a smart QB like Dak too.

http://www.espn.com/college-football...meId=400603933

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Lol this is the game plan to beat any team in America with a pulse.

vCash
    Don't forget to have 5 turnovers at your own 20 yardline.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Lol this is the game plan to beat any team in America with a pulse.
    Agreed. He doesn't have a scheme that beats Bama.

The last point about Hurts is a moot point, because Freeze has never beaten a Bama team with Hurts as the QB.

My favorite part was that his plan worked for a quarter...problem is that there are 3 other quarters in a game and with Bama's defense - relying on luck and big plays won't get the job done.

vCash
    I laughed when I read that article.
    Let me try;
    1) play them in the first 3 weeks
    2) play them when they have no idea who their starting QB is
    3) play them while their OC is trying to figure out what type of offense to run

Summary; Play them early!!!!

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    Just for laughs, thought I would post this.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/news/ho...012853773.html

According to the "anointed one", this is all you have to have or do to beat Bama:
    1) You have to have a good quarterback.
    2) Maintain the appearance of balance.
    3) You will not beat them unless you find a way to make explosive plays. You've got to be willing to take some shots, even if some of them don't work and you go three-and-out.
    4) Defensively, Freeze said the key is Alabama freshman quarterback Jalen Hurts. If Hurts is forced to make a high number of quality throws, the Tide is susceptible. "You've got to make that quarterback beat you with the pass" Freeze said. "That was our gameplan, and it was beautiful for a quarter. I don't think he can beat you throwing," Freeze said. "But he's one heck of a competitor, and he can run."

Seems simple enough right? I'm sure Washington has already picked Freezus' brain, since everyone knows what a great football coach he is....
    #5: Pschye them into fumbling two kickoff returns in a row at some point in the game.
    #6: Instruct your QB that when he is about to be demolished on his blind side, just throw the ball up for grabs. Something good will happen.
    #7: Roll out the QB and send the OL blocking 8 yards down the field like its a running play. Then hit a wide open receiver. Don't worry about that pesky "ineligible receiver downfield" rule. It's more of a guideline that doesn't really get enforced.
    #8: If you have a free shot at the QB from the blind side and could cause a fumble, go ahead and go helmet to helmet as hard as you can. It's worth it if the QB might fumble. Then on the return, hold the shit out of them to make sure the guy scores. Remember that actual football rules are like recruiting rules, the refs are like the NCAA and they aren't going to catch everything, amirite?!?
    #9: Offseason mission trips to Haiti to win the favor of the Lord as you engage in battle against the Prince of Darkness Saban himself. AND DAVID PICKED UP THE STONE AND SLAYED THE PHILISTINE!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    #5: Pschye them into fumbling two kickoff returns in a row at some point in the game.
    #6: Instruct your QB that when he is about to be demolished on his blind side, just throw the ball up for grabs. Something good will happen.
    #7: Roll out the QB and send the OL blocking 8 yards down the field like its a running play. Then hit a wide open receiver. Don't worry about that pesky "ineligible receiver downfield" rule. It's more of a guideline that doesn't really get enforced.
    #8: If you have a free shot at the QB from the blind side and could cause a fumble, go ahead and go helmet to helmet as hard as you can. It's worth it if the QB might fumble. Then on the return, hold the shit out of them to make sure the guy scores. Remember that actual football rules are like recruiting rules, the refs are like the NCAA and they aren't going to catch everything, amirite?!?
    #9: Offseason mission trips to Haiti to win the favor of the Lord as you engage in battle against the Prince of Darkness Saban himself. AND DAVID PICKED UP THE STONE AND SLAYED THE PHILISTINE!
    #10: Have your alumni spend hundreds of thousands of dollars building your roster

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by parabrave View Post
    Don't forget to have 5 turnovers at your own 20 yardline.
    And buying enough 5 and 4 stars to pull it off.

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    He forgot: Play them in late September / Early October
    No Signature

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    This ALL DAY LONG! The single most important contributing factor in UNM's 2 wins over Bama was DUMB LUCK and multiple mostly unforced turnovers. Without those, UNM gets hammered just like everybody else.

vCash
    Say what you want guys but the preacher with the great haircut did it twice and was up 3(?) td?s this year. Something they do BOTHERS Satan......throws off their gameplay or something. I agree with with early schedule......but there is more to it.
    Last edited by lastmajordog; 12-27-2016 at 05:07 PM. Reason: ADHD

vCash
    Here is Bear Bryant's JR. response.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z9ALiADrJro

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
    There is no cookie-cutter formula. You have to get breaks, and Ole Miss has gotten tons of them against Bama over the last three years. For all of the talk on Chad Kelly's numbers against the Tide, how many of those completions were ill-advised throws or 50-50 tosses where receivers made plays or caught bobbled/deflected balls? And he mentioned the appearance of balance, which is funny coming from a team that doesn't run the ball. A large number of his teams rushing yards came from the QB scrambling. Even the wooliest Ole Miss fan has to acknowledge that they have been extremely lucky against Alabama, from when they play them on the schedule, to fluke-ish plays being made, to poor officiating.
    No bearshart fan I've seen even remotely thinks they were the slightest bit lucky in any of the W's over Bama. none. They believe they were the better team. I'm Not joking.