Thread: Rogue One

vCash

Rogue One

I plan on seeing it Saturday. Who else is psyched?

vCash
    Going to see it Saturday, too, with my son. Bought tickets online this week for the 3D version.

vCash
    Going to IMAX 3D on Tuesday night. Going to Dallas to watch Dak this weekend so have to wait a few days.

Senior Member Intramural All-American's Avatar
    vCash
    Awesome movie. It ties everything in perfectly, and it was just a really enjoyable movie altogether. I would definitely recommend going to see it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Intramural All-American View Post
    Awesome movie. It ties everything in perfectly, and it was just a really enjoyable movie altogether. I would definitely recommend going to see it.
    Going tonight! I've seen every Star Wars movie during the first weekend after opening since Empire. I won't be missing this one.

Senior Member Prediction? Pain.'s Avatar
    vCash
    I'm fairly geeked out about it too, but I'm probably going to wait till I can see at our local IMAX, which will get it later in its run. I saw The Force Awakens there and I was not sorry that I waited. Dual 4k laser projectors on a 66' x 89' screen with 12-channel sound + Star Wars = a near-religious cinematic experience.

On a related note, did y'all catch J.J. Abrams' take on the best venue possible for watching Star Wars? He was apparently blown away by the 3D laser-projected version:

“As someone who really hasn’t been the most vocal advocate of 3D, the strangest thing happened to me on this,” Abrams told The Associated Press. “When I was watching the reels in 3D, there were a number of shots — and I know this sounds insane — that I hadn’t understood in the three-dimensional space quite the way I did when I saw them in 3D. I actually felt that there were things that were playing better in 3D. I had never felt that before. And if people have access to a theater that has laser projection, it is shockingly better.”

“You cannot compare a traditionally projected image with a laser image,” he continues. “The blacks are true blacks. It’s almost as if you have to adjust to it.”
    http://io9.gizmodo.com/heres-the-tin...ake-1747326488

If any of y'all are anywhere near an IMAX with 4K laser projectors that's showing Rogue One, you should give it a whirl. It really is awesome. (Here's a current list of those IMAX theaters: http://www.imax.com/news/imax-laser-here

vCash
    I'm going to go it on a limb here....

My son is a huge, huge SW fan. Walking out of the theater last night we both agreed that from a total movie perspective, Rogue One may be the 2nd best of all the films. We agreed that Star Wars was the most impactful of the movies, and like RO, it is great as a stand alone story, but that the best overall movie is Empire. Rogue One came in second for a terrific stand alone story line, by far some of the best acting in the series, and effects that blended old school and CGI flawlessly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    I plan on seeing it Saturday. Who else is psyched?
    Going after work tonight with wife and friends!! I didn't have time to watch all of Clone Wars and Rebels this week, but I did watch Episodes I, II, and III. We can't wait.

Then tomorrow after church we are smoking some boudin and playing Rebellion (otherwise known as Star War OT in a box):

http://www.boardgamegeek.com/boardga...wars-rebellion
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    In my seat now for XD. 30m to go.
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!

vCash
    Saw it today. Some spoilers below....but not serious ones....

It's got some flaws, but damn....as the third act came to a close, I was very satisfied. The first two acts are a little long, and it didn't really feel like a 'STAR WARS' film (and that's not necessarily a bad thing, just something to note). I mentioned the ending.....Vader.....unfortunately he's not in the movie much, but his scenes are very good. One scene, in particular, at the end, had me literally shaking. It was chilling. Chilling, but bad ****ing ass at the same time. It was epic.

Also, the use of motion capture CGI for character faces was very good. You get to see two major characters from New Hope. Also, some original X-Wing pilots make appearances, and that was cool, too.

I'm still processing. I'm going to go see it again, and post a better, more encompassing, review later.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeardoMSU View Post
    Saw it today. Some spoilers below....but not serious ones....

It's got some flaws, but damn....as the third act came to a close, I was very satisfied. The first two acts are a little long, and it didn't really feel like a 'STAR WARS' film (and that's not necessarily a bad thing, just something to note). I mentioned the ending.....Vader.....unfortunately he's not in the movie much, but his scenes are very good. One scene, in particular, at the end, had me literally shaking. It was chilling. Chilling, but bad ****ing ass at the same time. It was epic.

Also, the use of motion capture CGI for character faces was very good. You get to see two major characters from New Hope. Also, some original X-Wing pilots make appearances, and that was cool, too.

I'm still processing. I'm going to go see it again, and post a better, more encompassing, review later.
    Good off the cuff post Beardo. I'm gonna see it again to when my son is home on leave from Army the week after Christmas.

It got me fired up to watch episode IV which I fell asleep doing last night. It made the ep4 Crawl more interesting for sure for now there was a context for all those words and their more or less general/vague description of events prior to A New Hope.

The ONLY thing I was SLIGHTLY dissapointed in was the score. Each movie has had its own touch but I felt there wasn't enough familiarity and that may have led to some early scenes not really feeling like a SW movie as Beardo said. Like him, I agree Vader's scenes were grrrrreat and he might even make a newbie uneasy. He could be chilling. In reference to score, I'm glad we got familiar Imperial themes during his scenes.

The most important thumbs up for this movie is NO mention of 17ing metbschlorihorsehockeyans.

My favorite line/exchange:

SPOILERS BELOW SPOILERS BELOW

Imperial officer: "May I help you?"

K-2SO: "That won't be necessary."

Wump!

It's hilarious because the droid's politeness is actually genuine. He has no filter and also the taking out of the Imperial is completely unrelated in his mind to the previous exchange. Yes, we need to remove the man but there's no reason you can't give him an honest and courteous answer first!!

vCash
    The final Vader scene had me about to jump up and start yelling! Awesome. I think this was one of the best of the Star Wars films
    Wrap it in Maroon and White