Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Bold Prediction

vCash

Bold Prediction

Looking at what we did on offense the end of this year and the fact that the defensive pickups we made today I think will allow us to stop some people and have the ball a little more next year, I'm gonna predict we finish top 2 in the SEC in scoring offense.

Is that a stretch?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Looking at what we did on offense the end of this year and the fact that the defensive pickups we made today I think will allow us to stop some people and have the ball a little more next year, I'm gonna predict we finish top 2 in the SEC in scoring offense.

Is that a stretch?
    Not at all. If these guy can adjust quickly & we can find a right tackle, reliable center, & a kicker, this team has a chance to be legit. 2018 is setting up to be a monster year if we can avoid NFL draft problems after this one.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash

Is that a stretch?
    Well ... there's Bama. They don't lose much on offense. Then the rest. I guess I think it depends on Oline development and cohesiveness and another WR or 2. And Fitz not getting hurt. I will say tho that it is not a total stretch.

vCash
    You will never catch me being negative about state but I don't think we will be Bama as long as Saban is there. Hell LSU hasn't beaten them in how many year? Ole Miss had to cheat to do it.

vCash
    I almost went real crazy and said the MSU Auburn game would feature the top 2 scoring offenses in the SEC. I don't think that's a stretch considering what Auburn returns and getting the QB they just did.

Bama doesn't lose much but they faced some trashy defenses this year. I think they taper off some next year because the defenses they face get better. They were favored by double digits in every game this year I believe. That won't happen next year. They will still be good, but I don't think they will average over 40 points like they did this year.
    Last edited by MetEdDawg; 12-15-2016 at 06:59 AM.

vCash
    If we can find a decent RT and C we will be lethal offensively. On defense we need some DL depth, the JUCO guys have to be ready to play but I expect us to be much better simply because of the fact we will know what the hell is going on. Our defense didnt know whether to shit or go blind all this year. I wish we were replacing some skill positions instead of in the trenches on both sides but we are what we are. We should be good next year. 7-8 is the floor, 10 plus if we catch some breaks and stay healthy

vCash
    Watch out for Arkansas' offense. They return 4 olinemen, Allen, Williams, Cornelius, and just signed Martin and #1 juco te

vCash

Is that a stretch?
    We are replacing 3 starters on the O-line and losing our best WR.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Fred was great but Gray, Mixon, Dear, Couch, Todd, Mitchell, Thomas all can ball. Plus our TEs can play and we have several of them. Add in Ravian Pierce and that is plenty of weapons. So if you're on defense obviously you know you have to take away the run, our QB and weapons are plenty good enough to beat you or at least give us a shot.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    RT is my main concern. Feel pretty good about fixing interior oline. Gray 1 more year of experience, pierce (fingers crossed), Guidry (fingers crossed), and fitz improving passing should offset ross.

vCash
    I'm concerned with center. Toughest position and has to be the best communicator. I tend to think that communication has been some of our problem over last 2 years. All getting on the same page pre-snap.

vCash
    Do they tackle or do they whiff? Just saw the highlight video of Rivers. i hope he can disrupt plays like that against sec olines,

vCash
    It’s hard to say because health is an unknown for everyone in the league. One thing that I think makes it favorable is the fact that our back-up QB’s leaving means more time for Fitz likely, which means he will probably play a little more against people like Charleston Southern and UMass which in turn could lead to more points. Finding the spots on the o-line is a concern- I think we have four that are solid in Rankin, Jenkins, Calhoun, and Story. My guess is Calhoun ends up at center but it certainly could be Moon or someone else. Missing on Hayes hurts us at RT but we’ll see how they handle that. I guess they will probably either go with Eiland and if it were me with our TE depth I would move Jordan Thomas there. Which I think will work out better than Rufus Warren because I think he is a more talented player and we can use the TE’s like Justin Johnson and Farrod Green to help him out some with blocking assignments. Plus being a RT he won’t be going up against the other team’s top pass rush guy. Maybe Champion and Philips will get a long look there as well. I know both played tackle in JUCO even though they both profile like guards to me.

Our special teams will be fine I think when Graves and Cooke get healthy. They were both fine before they got hurt. MSU fans are notoriously hard on kickers and punters. Unless you are Scott Westerfield.

But we do have a lot of key pieces in place- a QB, a good quality SEC back in Aeries and Lee and Gibson have looked pretty good to me when they’ve played. Guidry should help out a lot and Gray will be a senior and then you have Dear and Mixon. Couch and Todd should progress and I would like to see us move Gray to the slot as I have said many times. See his TD on the screen pass in the Egg Bowl as exhibit A. But I doubt Dan does it. At least it’s not Holloway up the middle. I think Pierce will add a huge new dimension to our offense as well and we might see some two TE stuff with Pierce and Green that could be pretty lethal. I’m excited to see how Dontae Jones has progressed as well.

I don’t know if we will finish second in the league in scoring offense or not, but we should be awfully good. A lot of weapons and some more experienced players should equal a pretty good offense.

vCash
    I almost went real crazy and said the MSU Auburn game game would feature the top 2 scoring offenses in the SEC. I don't think that's a stretch considering what Auburn returns and getting the QB they just did.

Bama doesn't lose much but they faced some trashy defenses this year. I think they taper off some next year because the defenses they face get better. They were favored by double digits in every game this year I believe. That don't happen next year. They will still be good, but I don't think they will average over 40 points like they did this year.
    I think you're probably right, Met... I can see our O improving by 7/Game, but opposing defenses improving a bit more...

I'd be cool with 38-40/g average...
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    The kool-aid is flowing like vodka in a Russian bar

We will be average at WR
    We are replacing 3 OL starters- including our Center

Alabama
    Auburn
    UPig
    OM still has weapons- but could also implode

Top 5 would be a good goal

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post

We will be average at WR

Alabama
    Auburn
    UPig

Auburn will be replacing 3 olinemen also

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post

We will be average at WR

Alabama
    Auburn
    UPig

I kind of agree with this. Hate to be the downer but Nick still needs to show he can move the ball through the air before I get on board with being in the top 5. This is the same guy everyone wanted benched until about 3/4ths of the way through the year.

That being said, if he improves the way Dak improved from his Soph year to his Jr year then look out.

vCash
    Yea, need to slow the roll a tad. There is some potential there but we will need some OL to really step up again next year from the get go. Defense should be improved just from having a year in a new system and getting comfortable out there.

vCash
    Shit, I'd take just plain ol' average SEC defense next year. With our offense and an average D we'd win 8 next year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Watch out for Arkansas' offense. They return 4 olinemen, Allen, Williams, Cornelius, and just signed Martin and #1 juco te
    We could lose our center Frank Ragnow early to the draft, but he'll probably be back. We'll still have a lot of WR/TE production to replace and the OL and defense are still big question marks, but we'll see how switching to a 3-4 defense does. Thought for sure we'd be getting a new DC but maybe not.

We probably have more 4* TEs on the roster than total LBs lol
    Last edited by WPS; 12-15-2016 at 11:30 AM.