Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hevesy at it again ...

vCash

Hevesy at it again ...

http://mississippistate.247sports.co...-prep-49716608

He be having fun playing with the pieces of his Oline. Moving folks all over the place.

Let's have a crapload of average versatility from average to slightly above average Oline athletes, as opposed to possibly having above average to elite play because the athlete hones his skills at one position enough to where he's thinking less and assignments are automatic.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post

He be having fun playing with the pieces of his Oline. Moving folks all over the place.

Let's have a crapload of average versatility from average to slightly above average Oline athletes, as opposed to possibly having above average to elite play because the athlete hones his skills at one position enough to where he's thinking less and assignments are automatic.
    Did you read the whole thing?

Q: How have the redshirt freshmen done in bowl camp?

JH: “They’re learning. They’re getting grinded right now. Stewart (Reese) has been getting more reps with the twos and he’s been up a little more than (Dareuan Parker and Greg Eiland) have. These days are valuable to get them going. I told them walking off the field that before practice starts you have to have an understanding of the base scheme so before spring practice it’s not everything’s new.”
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 12-13-2016 at 08:05 AM.

vCash
    There are plenty of things to be unhappy with Hevesy about. This isn't one of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Did you read the whole thing?

With the freshmen do you just stick with one position or move them around this early?

“I try to get them at one position just so they’re not mentally locked. As they mature and grow, then you move them around. Elgton was at left and then he played right. Then we had numbers at guard with guys getting hurt, well someone has to go. He had to get reps and when I said it to him he didn’t bat an eye. Now he’s got to learn the difference in game situations. The last game he was much more comfortable. He’s developed well in there now he’s just got to go learn center.”
    I'm fine with those guys. It was Rankin and Jenkins that I didn't like. I'm not a college Oline coach. I have watched our Oline play the last few years. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember moving around the 2014 Oline much except when Day got suspended for 1 game. I don't know for sure what Hevesy did in the 2013 - 2014 off season tho.

vCash
    I'm fine with those guys. It was Rankin and Jenkins that I didn't like. I'm not a college Oline coach. I have watched our Oline play the last few years. Maybe I'm wrong but I don't remember moving around the 2014 Oline much except when Day got suspended for 1 game. I don't know for sure what Hevesy did in the 2013 - 2014 off season tho.
    If we had stuck the starters in position, we would've never seen Jenkins blow up at LG down the stretch

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BulldogDX55 View Post
    There are plenty of things to be unhappy with Hevesy about. This isn't one of them.
    Definitely. I don't see any problem with teaching guys on the line basics at other positions (which another thread complained about) or with young guys getting more reps early in bowl practice. Both of those are good things, not bad things. It means that he expects Reese, Parker and Eiland to compete for playing time next year and he is taking these early bowl practices to see how they mesh with the rest of the rotation.

vCash
    It posted the wrong question and answer for some reason

Q: With the freshmen do you just stick with one position or move them around this early?

JH: “I try to get them at one position just so they’re not mentally locked. As they mature and grow, then you move them around. Elgton was at left and then he played right. Then we had numbers at guard with guys getting hurt, well someone has to go. He had to get reps and when I said it to him he didn’t bat an eye. Now he’s got to learn the difference in game situations. The last game he was much more comfortable. He’s developed well in there now he’s just got to go learn center.”

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    If we had stuck the starters in position, we would've never seen Jenkins blow up at LG down the stretch
    I agree but that move was also due to injury. Rankin might could be a very good tackle too. I hate that we are once again looking for someone to snap the ball who will move into that position next year for the first time. Oline certainly looked better down the stretch this year, but do we struggle next year for 6 or 7 games before they gell again?

We have 2/5 of an Oline (the left side) that are working well now. Maybe Hev has no choice, but I would try to keep them together and focus on the parts that aren't in place yet with the other Olinemen ... at least to start with.

vCash
    Me personally every lineman should be able to play at lest two other o-line positions. This helps build deepness.

vCash
    I think our OL development has been good. They were a lot better the second half of the season than the first half. They don't get better overnight, but the progression seems solid.

Now if that dude would just recruit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    I think our OL development has been good. They were a lot better the second half of the season than the first half. They don't get better overnight, but the progression seems solid.

Now if that dude would just recruit.
    I said it before but a lot of our O-line problem was running backs. I don't think that our o-line go better after switching to Williams.
    Last edited by Jack Lambert; 12-13-2016 at 09:29 AM.

vCash

There is absolutely nothing wrong with that. In fact I'd be upset if he WASN'T doing it. Complaining about his recruiting to his unit is valid. Complaining about his coaching of what he has isn't. He does a good job there.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 12-13-2016 at 09:13 AM.

vCash
    He said Jenkins is very competitive and doesn't like to be wrong. Seems like Jenkins is the mold of what he's looking for in a lineman. I like those qualities of course, but I would like to add one more...."the David Stewart" approach. "I don't care who is across from me, I'm going to stomp their ass into the ground on every play." I didn't play with him, he was younger, but I was told that he was a tough, mean SOB. Love that shit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Me personally every lineman should be able to play at lest two other o-line positions. This helps build deepness.
    I kinda was in this camp too. But it took Rankin almost 2 years to develop coming out of Juco. And when he comes out of his stance almost a full second late while a DE flies past him, this kinda leads me to believe he's having to think too much.

The last 2 years our Oline hasn't been that great to me. Maybe that was due to the RB situation too.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    I said it before but a lot of our O-line problem was running backs. I don't think that our o-line go better after switching to Williams.
    Listen to this guy. 1 finger Holloway would make Bama's line look like they weren't blocking well.

vCash
    Hevesy isn't a bad coach. He's just lost in identify good OL recruits. He gets a hard on over guys like Hayes who was never going to help us. Our inability to identify quality OL has been what's killed us there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooterpoot View Post
    Hevesy isn't a bad coach. He's just lost in identify good OL recruits. He gets a hard on over guys like Hayes who was never going to help us. Our inability to identify quality OL has been what's killed us there.
    I lean in this direction too.

vCash
    I lean in this direction too.
    I don't lean in this direction. Urban Meyer was correct at Florida when he moved him from OL coach to TE coach. We need a better OL coach and a better recruiter for the OL.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDawg View Post
    I don't lean in this direction. Urban Meyer was correct at Florida when he moved him from OL coach to TE coach. We need a better OL coach and a better recruiter for the OL.
    Well, I'm not going to argue with Urban too much. It's pretty obvious he knows what he's doing most of the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by NCDawg View Post
    You do realize Hevesy was with Meyer at Bowling Green, Utah, & Florida right? You also realize he was still involved in the play calling at FL after the move to the TE coach and he remained the OL assistant coach. He wasn't moved because he couldn't coach.