Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Austin Williams signs Fin Aid with State

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    Looks like a possession WR or a TE to me. IMO 40 times are always exaggerated meaning that he's probably slower than the 4.58. That doesn't necessarily mean he can't be pretty good but it doesn't look like he will stretch the field much, which is what we really need IMO.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Looks like a possession WR or a TE to me. IMO 40 times are always exaggerated meaning that he's probably slower than the 4.58. That doesn't necessarily mean he can't be pretty good but it doesn't look like he will stretch the field much, which is what we really need IMO.
    Also looks like a gritty player with a high football IQ

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gordon Gekko View Post
    Also looks like a gritty player with a high football IQ
    Those a good traits to have and you want those in your team makeup, but how can you tell that from a profile?

IMO you need upper tier athleticism as well as those 2 traits to get open against Bama's D and secondary.

ETA: I'm thinking of Bear Wilson. While he burst out of the gates, once teams became aware of him later on he really struggled to get separation down the field ... and he had some elite athleticism in his height and size. He didn't have much of an impact as a go-to target against the upper tier D's in the SEC, especially his senior year.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 12-13-2016 at 07:55 AM.

vCash
    Way to go... Austin hasn't even put on the maroon and white yet and you've already belittled him.

vCash
    Those a good traits to have and you want those in your team makeup, but how can you tell that from a profile?

IMO you need upper tier athleticism as well as those 2 traits to get open against Bama's D and secondary.

ETA: I'm thinking of Bear Wilson. While he burst out of the gates, once teams became aware of him later on he really struggled to get separation down the field ... and he had some elite athleticism in his height and size. He didn't have much of an impact as a go-to target against the upper tier D's in the SEC, especially his senior year.
    Of course Wilson didn't play his senior year... but hey, why let facts get in the way of your early morning negativity.
    MSU = Check Collectors

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Way to go... Austin hasn't even put on the maroon and white yet and you've already belittled him.
    Nothing wrong with being a possession receiver, especially if he can block real well. I was more like asking a question ... I don't know much about him. Just looked at his profile.

I do know that we aren't stretching the field against the better SEC Ds at all the last 2 years. I personally would sorta like to see some upper tier speed and exceptional cutting ability out there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Turfdawg67 View Post
    Of course Wilson didn't play his senior year... but hey, why let facts get in the way of your early morning negativity.
    I'm sure another year would've given him another 0.3 sec off his 40 times.

vCash
    Can we not dissect a player, bring up rankings, and get into recruiting debates about what we should be bringing in on a Congratulations post to the newest member of our family. Let's do that for a change

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Can we not dissect a player, bring up rankings, and get into recruiting debates about what we should be bringing in on a Congratulations post to the newest member of our family. Let's do that for a change
    Sure.

ETA: I didn't and don't know much about him. I was sorta inquiring about him somewhat. He's probably a great kid I'm sure.

So I'm looking at his profile again. I looked at his offers. So we're excited about a white WR with average at best speed with no Power 5 offers? Maybe he can go to Harvard, but are we giving athletic or academic scholly's??

Not trying to dog him and I'll stop here. I'll wait 3 or 4 years when he's getting dog cussed in game threads as to how he's a bust and why did we ever give him a scholly ... and by some of the same sunshine guys (that are trolling me now).
    Last edited by dawgday166; 12-13-2016 at 08:37 AM.

vCash

Height and size don't equal elite athleticism. If bear had been an elite athlete he would have been a 1st rounder. Not that it really matters now but I would say he was maybe a touch above average as far as athleticism goes at WR in the SEC. Donald and Fred are both much better athletes then DW was IMO.

vCash
    Sure.

ETA: I didn't and don't know much about him. I was sorta inquiring about him somewhat. He's probably a great kid I'm sure.

So I'm looking at his profile again. I looked at his offers. So we're excited about a white WR with average at best speed with no Power 5 offers? Maybe he can go to Harvard, but are we giving athletic or academic scholly's??

Not trying to dog him and I'll stop here. I'll wait 3 or 4 years when he's getting dog cussed in game threads as to how he's a bust and why did we ever give him a scholly ... and by some of the same sunshine guys (that are trolling me now).
    Really? You ETA that crap and claim you are not dogging him? I seem to remember the same kind of talk when we signed several players over the past few years. But you couldn't just let it be for the kid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    I don't know man. Go to a state school further south, take easier classes, bang hotter women, enjoy better weather, and the degree can get you to pretty much any profession a Harvard one could.
    Totally hate this, but NYC, DC professional jobs will look down on State grads. I was once asked in an interview how it was possible that I got into my graduate school from State.

edit: don't get me wrong, this would be viewed the same from any non-Vandy SEC school though. not a problem particular to State.
    Last edited by Virgil Caine; 12-13-2016 at 07:52 PM.