Quote Originally Posted by BulldogBear View Post
I use my grandfather's Woodsmaster 30/06 with iron sights under the scope, which I also had handed down to me. It's a little strange though in that the barrel is about an inch short. In his later years he had it modified where most of the energy went out the barrel. I don't know what the science of it was but the end of the barrel looked like some kind of military weapon!! Anyway, the result was that it didn't kick hardly at all but was EXTREMELY loud...as in wear ear protection! It was modified back to normal and given to me when I was about 20. I've never missed with it, not even a running deer. They all die. I also use the 180 grain bullet. I decided years ago that tracking wounded deer was for suckers!

My dad also had a Woodsmaster 30/06 but without the iron sight setup under the scope. He has Parkinson's and a couple of years ago made a trade with my son, who had a Youth .708 single shot. So, my son now also has his grandfather's rifle, and smaller weapon is much easier for my Dad to handle! I've only been able to take him (Dad) once this season but he nailed a nice doe. I set him up in a mostly natural blind and I got into a stand about 12 feet away with my binoculars. The funny thing is that when the deer came out I could see them long before he could. But he had nodded off. If you've ever seen the Three Amigos where Lucky (Steve Martin) is on top of the wall trying to get the attention of the others two Amigos down below, that is somewhat how this played out. I was tapping on the stand, using a sawmill whisper, and generally trying to get his attention. Two yearlings came first followed by a doe. By then he had woken up and I got to see the whole scene play out from above. She had immediately known something was wrong and kept creeping up for a closer look. Her eyes were on the blind and every time she'd put her head down and take a step or two he'd slowly raise the weapon. He's still got it!
That is a great story. Love it.