Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Deer Rifle

vCash

New Deer Rifle

Starting to save some gift cards/money for my next deer rifle. Wanna buy new, bolt action with a synthetic stock and standard barrel. Would really like to stay under $400 and get a caliber with light recoil. Give me your suggestions. Right now I'm leaning towards a Ruger American or Remington 700 in a 7mm .08 but would consider a .308.

vCash
    I wouldn't do a Remington, they're quality has really gone down and their higher end rifles had a major recall recently. Savage Axis or Ruger American. I would get the 308 simply because ammo is easier to find, especially if you're in a bind and need your specific ammo, wherever you go is much more likely to have it. Some Savage rifles will come with a Nikon scope which is a big plus. I won a Ruger American predator in 25-06. At the time they only made a limited amount in that caliber. Nice gun for what it is and a really nice round, just the availability of the ammo I use is my only complaint.

vCash
    Well I can tell you I bought my wife a Savage 7mm 08. Has light recoil with Federal less than 40% recoil ammo. I've been impress with it as it will knock down any North Animal. I have no problem. I've had no problem buying ammo.

Me myself I'm a Browning lover. I mostly shoot .270

vCash
    Ditto what the others have said. There is probably not a better deal on the market right now than the Savage Axis XP II. Make sure you get the XP II as it comes with the Accutrigger, which is much better than the previous Savage versions. You can literally take this rifle combo out of the box and head to the range for about $380.

https://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/...+22+w%2F+Scope

Now, if you are considering doing something other than deer hunt, while the 7mm-08 will kill an elk, many prefer the .308 as a more versatile/available big game cartridge. My next rifle will be a 7mm-08.

vCash
    Savage with the Accutrigger for sure. Got one for my son back when they first came out. Possibly the best out of the box trigger you can find. I'd get it in either 7mm 08 or 6.5 Creedmore.

vCash
    For the amount of frogskins, I think it's gonna be hard to beat a Savage (with Accutrigger) if you want to go "new"...

My best advice is to get the most expensive optic you can possibly afford and slap it on whatever rifle with the remainder of your budget... even if it's a used rifle....

regarding suggested calibers and recoil, I'd need to know more to advise...

if it's strictly for whitetail inside 350-400 yards, it's going to be hard to beat the .243...

if you can really shoot well, the 223 should not be overlooked...

260, 7-08 are also worth consideration...

Myself, I find the 270 is the best combination of ballistics per recoil energy for anything Elk sized and below...

Lastly (and again) GET KILLER OPTICS!!!!!
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    Well I can tell you I bought my wife a Savage 7mm 08. Has light recoil with Federal less than 40% recoil ammo. I've been impress with it as it will knock down any North Animal. I have no problem. I've had no problem buying ammo.

Me myself I'm a Browning lover. I mostly shoot .270
    I'm an A-bolt 270 HO!

Atop the rifle rests a (old version) Leupold Vari-X III 4.5x14x50 AO w/ target turret... It's FUH LAT....

No.

vCash
    Strictly whitetail within 300-400 yards. I have a Simmons Aetec that will go on it temporarily. Then I'll save my money for a good Leupold. I want new because I will keep it and pass along to my son. I want to be the only owner.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Snowman79 View Post
    Strictly whitetail within 300-400 yards. I have a Simmons Aetec that will go on it temporarily. Then I'll save my money for a good Leupold. I want new because I will keep it and pass along to my son. I want to be the only owner.
    Simmons Aetec may be one of the best scope for the money, unrated scope IMO as I have one on another rifle.
    Leopold bought Redfield which use to be the scope in its Day way back when. Again for the money Redfield is a good buy.

I have a Nikon on a couple of rifles. Also Vortex has good optics.

Good luck.

vCash
    My Opinion:

Savage Axis w/ Accutrigger chambered in 243... 100 grain Fed. Prem. Sierra GK BTSP.... has the least amount of recoil of the calibers mentioned and delivers >1000# at 400 yards...

also, the MPBR in this configuration is +/-3" to 300 yards with a 25/250 zero*

you mileage may vary based on sight height, temperature, humidity, elevation, etc.

No.

vCash
    Ruger American in 7-08. I have one and it is accurate. Mine has a 3 x 9 Swaroski, but you can get by for less. Do put your money in a good scope, if you can't see it you can't kill it. And as a hunter you owe the animal a clean kill, not wounding them. Pet peeve about people using cheap scopes, do it right or don't do it.

vCash
    I shoot a 7mm 08 and a 270 short mag. As far as brand I shoot a browning 270 short and the 7mm08 is a remington if I remember correctly been a while since I have pulled it out. I love my 270 short though light recoil and one of the flattest shooting guns I have shot.

vCash
    Obviously everyone has their own opinions. I have a browning xbolt 7-08 that I absolutely love. Little to no recoil and will absolutely do the job on any big game animal. I also have a model 7 Remington 7/08 that I plan on giving my son. I recently bought a bergara 30/06 just to have another rifle to play around with.

vCash
    Recoil Table for applicable calibers

Cartridge (Wb@MV) Recoil energy
    .223 Rem. (62 at 3025) 3.9
    .223 WSSM (55 at 3850) 6.4
    .243 Win. (100 at 2960) 8.8
    .243 WSSM (100 at 3100) 10.1
    .25-06 Rem. (120 at 3000) 12.5
    7mm-08 Rem. (140 at 2860) 12.6
    .260 Rem. (120 at 2860) 13
    .270 Win. (130 at 3140) 16.5
    .280 Rem. (140 at 3000) 17.2
    .30-06 Spfd. (150 at 2910) 17.6
    .308 Win. (165 at 2700) 18.1

243 likely has best "terminal ballistic energy/recoil" for your application... but all of those listed above will smoke em....

No.

vCash
    Tusk you seem quite knowledgeable on the subject. Each year I hunt northern whitetail that are often 200lbs and larger. The guys I hunt with up there scoff at .243 because they say it doesn't have the knockdown power needed for up there. They say .270 bare minimum and most shoot a 7mn mag, .30-06, or .300 mag

vCash
    Location Location Location, if you hit them right they will die. Now, in saying this knock own power is important.

I think the caliber depends on what you are shooing and who is shooting.

vCash
    Tusk you seem quite knowledgeable on the subject. Each year I hunt northern whitetail that are often 200lbs and larger. The guys I hunt with up there scoff at .243 because they say it doesn't have the knockdown power needed for up there. They say .270 bare minimum and most shoot a 7mn mag, .30-06, or .300 mag
    What Basedog said...

The next time one of those ass clowns says that, tell him this: "The ability to shoot accurately and ethically is often inversely proportional to caliber"... drop the mic, then mix a drink...

A larger caliber mitigates poor marksmanship and adverse shooting conditions (high wind).

The "standard" accepted amount of energy to "knock down" a whitetail is 1000#... IMO, that's for a "poorly placed round"... As one's ability to put said round EXACTLY where they want, that number drops exponentially... I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a (static) deer at 250-300 yards (in no wind) with my 223 (500-600# at 250-300 yds).

Off the top of my head, my 270 round crosses the 1000# mark at about 600 yards, the 243 at about 400 yards... Additionally, as recoil decreases, accuracy increases for most people...

I used to broker hunting/fishing trips in the western hemisphere and I asked one of my outfitters (Colorado) about shooting Elk with 270... He laughed and said "That's plenty of gun. We ask our guests to bring 7 mags and 300s because we don't know if they can shoot, or not."

I am fortunate that I grew up in the woods and shot stuff all the time growing up, learned additional skills in the Corps and currently have my own rifle range in my "back yard"... I shoot a fair amount. I also zero weapons for a lot of people and teach a little bit... All of that shooting increases confidence, and "confidence" is the real "killer", imo.

Short answer: If you can shoot, ride that 243 pony until it flips over, tits up.

I love talkin' 'bout this shit... feel free to ask anything; if I can help, I will.

No.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    What Basedog said...

The next time one of those ass clowns says that, tell him this: "The ability to shoot accurately and ethically is often inversely proportional to caliber"... drop the mic, then mix a drink...

A larger caliber mitigates poor marksmanship and adverse shooting conditions (high wind).

The "standard" accepted amount of energy to "knock down" a whitetail is 1000#... IMO, that's for a "poorly placed round"... As one's ability to put said round EXACTLY where they want, that number drops exponentially... I wouldn't hesitate to shoot a (static) deer at 250-300 yards (in no wind) with my 223 (500-600# at 250-300 yds).

Off the top of my head, my 270 round crosses the 1000# mark at about 600 yards, the 243 at about 400 yards... Additionally, as recoil decreases, accuracy increases for most people...

I used to broker hunting/fishing trips in the western hemisphere and I asked one of my outfitters (Colorado) about shooting Elk with 270... He laughed and said "That's plenty of gun. We ask our guests to bring 7 mags and 300s because we don't know if they can shoot, or not."

I am fortunate that I grew up in the woods and shot stuff all the time growing up, learned additional skills in the Corps and currently have my own rifle range in my "back yard"... I shoot a fair amount. I also zero weapons for a lot of people and teach a little bit... All of that shooting increases confidence, and "confidence" is the real "killer", imo.

Short answer: If you can shoot, ride that 243 pony until it flips over, tits up.

I love talkin' 'bout this shit... feel free to ask anything; if I can help, I will.
    ^ one hell of a post and hard to argue any of that. I'm a bowhunter these days, but actually broke out the ole .270 today and took it to the range. I might have to give it a whirl next weekend.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    ^ one hell of a post and hard to argue any of that. I'm a bowhunter these days, but actually broke out the ole .270 today and took it to the range. I might have to give it a whirl next weekend.
    What round do you shoot, Speckle?

No.

vCash
    I picked up some 140gr Nosler ballistic tips today. I used to shoot cheap Winchester, but went with something maybe a little better this time.
    Last edited by SpeckleDawg; 12-18-2016 at 04:28 PM.