Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: Pro scout that knows Mullen claims Dan put proposal together for Oregon

vCash
    Landry has good info but he can also have some disdain with dealing with individual insiders with opposite information. Can come off arrogant with his opinion and will not change his stance even in the face of multiple good insiders with conflicting information. Likes to pop off with how much of an insider he is, getting info from both sides, etc. But with all that info he hardly breaks any of the coaching searches before anyone else. But loves to break down "what really happened" after the fact and can be harsh if he feels one side screwed up or like in the LSU case really went after their administration. Roasted them for spinning the Jimbo and Herman turning them down. He also didn't lead with Oregeron getting LSU HC job but used good logic about what was happening in real time. When Herman was leaked as being named LSU coach, he along with several on this board at the time, said it was the agent trying to spur Texas into making a move or else he was going to LSU. Well no kidding, that wasn't exactly soothsaying.

He is connected and gets some good info and his experience allows him to make good educated guesses. Many speculated Frost was on Oregon's short list, him included but that was never the case and Frost removed himself immediately. He never knew Fleck was not an option for Oregon and not sure he ever had him as a candidate. He did say he didn't think McElwain was going to go there but claimed that if he did Stricklin was going to likely pull Mullen to Florida. Well a lot of people from the outside would make that connection and be wrong as long as Foley is still around. Mullen and Foley (and make no mistake their issues in the past were on both of them) don't get along. A lot of what he does is using 1st and 2nd degree seperation and infer what is happening. His connections are good enough that his guesses are better than many and he does get info right but not necessarily any sooner than many of other sites writers or national media. I've seen him then use the, he had to sit on the info but knew about it days ago. Maybe he did but we've all read enough message boards that we have that used as a deflection as to not really having info that much in advance of others. Nearly everything he is really accurate about is info that many have.

He has also had issues with plagiarism in the past with his blog and got busted and fired from the sports company he was with at the time. Not sure what the final settlement happened on that. He was also fired as a scout with the Titans I believe for selling their scouting reports to other teams or selling his services while under contract. Something like that. His trustworthiness is short to say the least and he has a schtick to drive his site hits.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 12-08-2016 at 12:01 AM.

vCash
    Sounds like the money wasn't right, if true. Taggert I think got a little over 3M, maybe 3.2. Mullen may have been chewing on about a 1M paycut. But, I still find it difficult to believe that Oregon wouldn't do a bit better for him. Just thinking out loud.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Sounds like the money wasn't right, if true. Taggert I think got a little over 3M, maybe 3.2. Mullen may have been chewing on about a 1M paycut. But, I still find it difficult to believe that Oregon wouldn't do a bit better for him. Just thinking out loud.
    Teams pay according who they hire. Bielema was payed just over 3MM when he first took the UPig job and he had 3 Rosebowls under his belt. Oregon had no need to pay Taggart 4MM....they would have paid Mullen had he been the choice

vCash
    "Dan has so far shown a penchant for doing things that will lose a game or two each year that we shouldn't."

You keep throwing out this false narrative. The old rebel trick, tell a lie enough ...

List them. Games Dan lost that we were favored.

2009 -
    2010 -
    2011 -
    2012 -
    2013 -
    2014 -
    2015 -

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingRabbit View Post
    "Dan has so far shown a penchant for doing things that will lose a game or two each year that we shouldn't."

You keep throwing out this false narrative. The old rebel trick, tell a lie enough ...

2009 -
    2010 -
    2011 -
    2012 -
    2013 -
    2014 -
    2015 -
    And you keep ignoring the fact that I've said, it's not about being "favored"...it's about games we've lost where Dan wasted a drive or two or 3 in a close loss.

It has absolutely nothing to do with pre-game predictions. IT has to do with in-game decisions that have cost us big.

Off the top of my head, stepping off the gas too soon at AU. Pulling Fitz from the S. Bama game. Running LP up-the-middle over and over and over for little-to-no gain. It's about doing the same damn thing with Holloway. It's about running Dak up-the-middle into the teeth of a Bama defense when it was stuffed every time. It's about trotting a mentally shot kicker out there over and over and over when he's proven multiple times he's going to choke. It's about doing the same damn thing with another kicker n another year. It's about getting the ball back with 50 seconds and all 3 time-outs in the first half, then taking a knee. It's about having a game plan that is working great...hasn't been stopped....then killing a drive because he just had to get "cute" or show his imagination.

I'm not going to try and find game film to point out the precise games and plays I'm talking about just to satisfy your ass. That would take hours upon hours. I suspect you know damn well what I'm talking about. If you don't plenty of others do.
    Last edited by blacklistedbully; 12-08-2016 at 12:08 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by blacklistedbully View Post
    or C. They decided Taggert has completely turned around 2 programs in short order, and is a better recruiter, so thought he was a better fit.

We don't know, and probably never will know the truth...but let's not pretend there was no other option. The same things that have frustrated a whole bunch of us over the years would be exposed by an in-depth search done by anyone looking to invest millions and their immediate future on a coach.

Nike money wants a coach that can compete for the NC. Dan has so far shown a penchant for doing things that will lose a game or two each year that we shouldn't. At MSU, the good news is the great stuff he's done has moved us up from the basement, and got us to 10 wins and a NY6 game.

But at Oregon, Nike's not going to be happy with 1-2 losses they shouldn't have.
    It's like people just repeat things with zero knowledge. Look at CFB Matrix's breakdown of Taggert. At WKU or USF he didn't increase their recruiting rankings at all. In fact they decreased slightly. There is no evidence of him being some recruiting guru. They are saying WT is Larry Fedora 2.0. Completely uninspiring hire. Regardless of Mullen.

vCash
    And you keep ignoring the fact that I've said, it's not about being "favored"...it's about games we've lost where Dan wasted a drive or two or 3 in a close loss.

It has absolutely nothing to do with pre-game predictions. IT has to do with in-game decisions that have cost us big.

Off the top of my head, stepping off the gas too soon at AU. Pulling Fitz from the S. Bama game. Running LP up-the-middle over and over and over for little-to-no gain. It's about doing the same damn thing with Holloway. It's about running Dak up-the-middle into the teeth of a Bama defense when it was stuffed every time. It's about trotting a mentally shot kicker out there over and over and over when he's proven multiple times he's going to choke. It's about doing the same damn thing with another kicker n another year. It's about getting the ball back with 50 seconds and all 3 time-outs in the first half, then taking a knee. It's about having a game plan that is working great...hasn't been stopped....then killing a drive because he just had to get "cute" or show his imagination.

I'm not going to try and find game film to point out the precise games and plays I'm talking about just to satisfy your ass. That would take hours upon hours. I suspect you know damn well what I'm talking about. If you don't plenty of others do.
    That's what I thought. You're just Monday-morning quarterbacking and like to bitch.

Dan has his faults. Half of this season just sucked. But, he does a lot of important things the right way. Things that have nothing to do with wins and losses.

He's probably about a top 20 coach but has that possibility of getting us into the playoff because of his QB coaching. I don't think he'll be here forever, but I would love to see him make a couple of runs over the next 4-5 years.

Between the OM indiscriminate cheating and Saban sitting 80 miles away, I don't blame him for listening to offers. He probably sees one of those thorns in the side is about to go away, and with Fitz coming on and Thompson coming in things are looking up.

Dan Wolken was asked the other day, who is the 2nd best coach in the SEC. He said Mullen. But he thinks Dan should move on to a "program that could contend". I would like Dan to stay here and change that perception.

vCash
    Who in the hell wants the stinking Rev. Hugh Freeze? Too many Ole sissy trolls posting bs. ******* getting an extension to his contract and Ole piss is getting a huuuuuge extension from NCAA and they'll are gonna be made to like it!
    Last edited by anubus; 12-08-2016 at 02:33 AM. Reason: misspell like ole piss graduates do

vCash
    I'll say it- Dan would not be wise to leave after this year. He went 5-7 but he has a lot of talent coming back including a legit SEC QB and RB. If he can fix the defense we could be back to 2014-15 win totals pretty reasonably. That would potentially make him pretty attractive to someone like Notre Dame which I imagine he would rather be there than Oregon. And I'm pretty sure Jimmy Sexton is telling him the same thing. Stay at MSU another couple of years and kick ass, become the winningest coach in school history and then get paid.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    Love how the same guy that talks about how Ole Miss's strength as a fan base is their ability to pull the rope in the same direction....is the very one trying to split our fanbase apart with stuff like this.
    He is confirming to everyone that feeding his ego and riling up the masses takes priority over what is good for MSU. We just completely dominated the Egg Bowl and OM is in the middle of a shit storm with the NCAA, yet his focus is on trying to spread the word that Mullen wants out of Starkville.....and he is doing this right before the mid year signing period. Pushing this narrative can do nothing but harm the football program. But hey, at least he is generating some page traffic....

vCash
    That's what I thought. You're just Monday-morning quarterbacking and like to bitch.

Dan has his faults. Half of this season just sucked. But, he does a lot of important things the right way. Things that have nothing to do with wins and losses.

He's probably about a top 20 coach but has that possibility of getting us into the playoff because of his QB coaching. I don't think he'll be here forever, but I would love to see him make a couple of runs over the next 4-5 years.

Between the OM indiscriminate cheating and Saban sitting 80 miles away, I don't blame him for listening to offers. He probably sees one of those thorns in the side is about to go away, and with Fitz coming on and Thompson coming in things are looking up.

Dan Wolken was asked the other day, who is the 2nd best coach in the SEC. He said Mullen. But he thinks Dan should move on to a "program that could contend". I would like Dan to stay here and change that perception.
    Then you shouldn't think. Don't be so stupid that you actually think I'm gonna invest hours to answer your question in detail. You know it would take me forever to do it. I gave you plenty of examples that would ring true to you if you were being honest.

Most of everything else you've said is what I've been saying all along. In a nutshell, that Dan has done some great things here. Dan has weaknesses (I've simply listed most of them). I'd like the old Dan back, but with some changes that would allow him to realize his potential, and ours.

And as I've said before, those faults/weaknesses can be directly tied to losses. Les Miles did some good things at LSU...but his unwillingness to adapt and work on his weaknesses ultimately cost him and LSU.

IMO, Dan is a good coach...perhaps the best we've had since McKeen. But he won't be a great coach until he stops stepping on his own dick. And for $4.3 mill + I do expect him to work on the stuff that will make him great, thus maximize our potential.

vCash

2009 -
    2010 -
    2011 -
    2012 -
    2013 -
    2014 -
    2015 -
    I will agree there haven't been many, but he also doesn't win hardly any games where he's the underdog. I will say tho that he's had the bullets at times, regardless of what the Vegas bettors think. I don't go by whose favored all the time.

2016 - USA, BYU, KY, and Arky (other than USA not sure who was favored in each of those games, but we should've won them); 2015 - none as favorites (shouldn've beat LSU & A&M tho); 2014 - (OM & GT; I thought we should've beat Bama too although not favored .. had the bullets); 2013 - Auburn (I believe we were favored and should've beat them); 2012 - OM; 2011 - None; 2010- None.

vCash
    RP does this with every coach at MSU if they are here long enough. Slowly start to turn on them and it becomes pathologic. Stans, Cohen, currently Mullen. Howland will be next over the coming years. He will never be satisfied because he's looking for the perfect coach who would do everything exactly like he would.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by chef dixon View Post
    who would do everything exactly like he would.
    It's a wonder how one person can be such an expert in so many things....

Banned
    vCash
    or C. They decided Taggert has completely turned around 2 programs in short order, and is a better recruiter, so thought he was a better fit.
    Please present one shred of evidence that Taggart is a better recruiter than Mullen. Where is Taggart's NFL MVP candidate that he recruited and mentored? What is USF's recruiting trend over the last 4 years? How many 4* and 5* players have they signed under Taggart?

This is getting silly. Some of yall just have to be trolling.

vCash
    Delete entire thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'll say it- Dan would not be wise to leave after this year. He went 5-7 but he has a lot of talent coming back including a legit SEC QB and RB. If he can fix the defense we could be back to 2014-15 win totals pretty reasonably. That would potentially make him pretty attractive to someone like Notre Dame which I imagine he would rather be there than Oregon. And I'm pretty sure Jimmy Sexton is telling him the same thing. Stay at MSU another couple of years and kick ass, become the winningest coach in school history and then get paid.
    And if he does leave in a year or two, so be it. We would have enjoyed more success under him than under any other MSU HC. Plus we would have a pretty good foundation to build from, no longer will other potential coaches look at our school as some place you just can't be successful at. But you never know how things will go......if Mullen does have decent success over the next couple of years he would probably get another good raise making it even more difficult for him to move on.

As always.....time will tell the tale.

vCash
    Alright. this crap is dead. Mullen is our coach for another year. Everyone get behind him and enjoy the ride.
    Anything more is just hurting the program.