Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What is our perception nationally

vCash

What is our perception nationally

Compared to the rest of the sec? Where would our potential to win be slotted, historically speaking (modern era/post 1980)?

Bama, Lsu, fl, uga

Auburn, Aggie, Tenn

Uscw, ark, om

State, mizzou, ky, vandy,

I know there may be spots to nitpick, but this is why some think Mullen is the most underrated coach in cfb (see link below).

What would you think of mark stoops if he took ky to 7 straight bowl games and a #1 ranking, albeit briefly? Mullen is flawed, but he is largely viewed as having done an incredible job by those outside our fan base

http://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-foot...-cfb/67488822/

vCash
    There is always that Bama guy in those threads.

vCash
    The national perception of our football program is like the run down, falling apart, off the beaten path BBQ restaurant that is sneaky good & finally made enough money to build a brand new, state of the art, building & kitchen, but because it's off the beaten path, many don't realize that a new restaurant has been built.

MSU has a perception problem, not a reality problem.
    CAN'T PUT A SADDLE ON A MUSTANG

Quit Your Bi$&$&?!, He's Not Going to Run the Ball More

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    The national perception of our football program is like the run down, falling apart, off the beaten path BBQ restaurant that is sneaky good & finally made enough money to build a brand new, state of the art, building & kitchen, but because it's off the beaten path, many don't realize that a new restaurant has been built.

That's a good way to put it.

vCash

Good analogy.

vCash
    Perhaps we should ask that question of the Miami folks who are visiting here.

vCash
    Changed a lot for the better in 2014. And Dak at the Cowboys is helping just as much. People recognize my MSU hat way more often after that.

vCash
    Bowl Games since 1980
    UGA 33
    Bama 32 (includes extra playoff last year)
    UF 31
    TN 30
    AU 27
    LSU 26
    a&M 25
    Ark 25
    OM 17
    USC 17
    MSU 16
    MO 15
    KY 11
    Vandy 6

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    They can't tell the difference between Mississippi State and Ole Miss.
    No Signature

vCash
    I live in Alabama and most of them respect us and think Mullen does a good job. Most Bama and Auburn fans think Mullen is a good coach and that we would be hard pressed to find a better coach. But they never like playing us. Nationally we are a nothing burger in football and that won't change for another 8-10 years until we perform at a level above our past 8 years. Dak is going to help some, especially in some of the NFL cities up north, but national recognition won't come for a while. But I would say we are a respected team.

Everyone I've heard that's not an MSU fan has said MSU had a down year this year, which means they at least know that we've been better during Mullen's tenure. So that's good.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    I live in Alabama and most of them respect us and think Mullen does a good job. Most Bama and Auburn fans think Mullen is a good coach and that we would be hard pressed to find a better coach. But they never like playing us. Nationally we are a nothing burger in football and that won't change for another 8-10 years until we perform at a level above our past 8 years. Dak is going to help some, especially in some of the NFL cities up north, but national recognition won't come for a while. But I would say we are a respected team.

Everyone I've heard that's not an MSU fan has said MSU had a down year this year, which means they at least know that we've been better during Mullen's tenure. So that's good.
    Good post

I think if we get to the top 5 or top 10 again, the perception will begin to change.

i think much of our #1 run is chalked up to fluke & Dak. Do it again and people would have to realize we are a damn good program

vCash

So basically we're Gus's Fried Chicken? I can live with that.

vCash
    Hillary Clinton won the popular vote. Starkville and MSU never had a chance...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg-gone-dawgs View Post
    They can't tell the difference between Mississippi State and Ole Miss.
    And University of Mississippi.

vCash
    One of the Miamians here. While I'm a diehard football fan who follows it all, I don't have any ties to the SEC that I can think of other than a good buddy of mine that went to Georgia. I consider Miss St to be a solid program that is above the Kentucky and Vandy level, but not at the Alabama, LSU level. Basically, a middle of the pack SEC program, which makes it a pretty damn respectable program overall at the national level. People recognize that the SEC West is a serious division, so even the teams that finish with ho-hum records tend to command respect.

Obviously, your in-state rival has a more storied history, and receives more attention, but while I (and I believe most people) always considered them to be a good football program with great traditions, the last few years my respect for them has plummeted due to a lot of the slimy things that have come out in the media. Hugh Freeze is starting to look like the next Art Briles.

Miss State, meanwhile, has often struggled throughout my lifetime (although I can remember them fielding some good teams under Jackie Sherrill back in the day), but Dan Mullen has done an awesome job for you guys, and I think plenty of people around the country recognize that. I vividly remember watching that bowl game a few years ago when you guys thumped Michigan and shut down Denard Robinson, and came away impressed.

Even though you had a down year overall this season, that young QB Fitzgerald looks really impressive, so with a year under his belt, I'll bet you'll be back over .500 next season. Plus, you whooped your arch rival this year, so losing record or not, the season was a success. At least that's how I usually feel when we beat Cincinnati and Ohio, although I almost forget when that last happened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by profholt82 View Post
    One of the Miamians here. While I'm a diehard football fan who follows it all, I don't have any ties to the SEC that I can think of other than a good buddy of mine that went to Georgia. I consider Miss St to be a solid program that is above the Kentucky and Vandy level, but not at the Alabama, LSU level. Basically, a middle of the pack SEC program, which makes it a pretty damn respectable program overall at the national level. People recognize that the SEC West is a serious division, so even the teams that finish with ho-hum records tend to command respect.

Obviously, your in-state rival has a more storied history, and receives more attention, but while I (and I believe most people) always considered them to be a good football program with great traditions, the last few years my respect for them has plummeted due to a lot of the slimy things that have come out in the media. Hugh Freeze is starting to look like the next Art Briles.

Miss State, meanwhile, has often struggled throughout my lifetime (although I can remember them fielding some good teams under Jackie Sherrill back in the day), but Dan Mullen has done an awesome job for you guys, and I think plenty of people around the country recognize that. I vividly remember watching that bowl game a few years ago when you guys thumped Michigan and shut down Denard Robinson, and came away impressed.

Even though you had a down year overall this season, that young QB Fitzgerald looks really impressive, so with a year under his belt, I'll bet you'll be back over .500 next season. Plus, you whooped your arch rival this year, so losing record or not, the season was a success. At least that's how I usually feel when we beat Cincinnati and Ohio, although I almost forget when that last happened.
    Really good post. This is about how we view ourselves.

We are a mid-tier SEC program that every once in a while can accumulate enough experience & talent to make a run. What's interesting though is how many prominate MSU players that are stars in the NFL right now. We don't have as many as LSU or Alabama, but one could argue that our quality is just as good

Just so you know, Ole Miss does have a better tradition, but since integration both programs are fairly equal & since 1990 MSU has a winning record in the rivalry. Due to that, most 40 & under MSU fans have an expectation of beating OM & believe our program is better than theirs.

Freeze has only finished ahead of Mullen in the SEC standings one time, & we traditionally push Ole Miss' shit in in every other sport
    Last edited by ShotgunDawg; 12-07-2016 at 11:57 PM.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by confucius say View Post
    Compared to the rest of the sec? Where would our potential to win be slotted, historically speaking (modern era/post 1980)?

Bama, Lsu, fl, uga

Auburn, Aggie, Tenn

Uscw, ark, om

State, mizzou, ky, vandy,

I know there may be spots to nitpick, but this is why some think Mullen is the most underrated coach in cfb (see link below).

What would you think of mark stoops if he took ky to 7 straight bowl games and a #1 ranking, albeit briefly? Mullen is flawed, but he is largely viewed as having done an incredible job by those outside our fan base

http://www.secrant.com/rant/sec-foot...-cfb/67488822/
    I'd move both us and Mizzou up to that 3rd tier and drop UGA down to the 2nd tier. Otherwise I'd say it's about right. I'll still never understand where this idea comes from that OM is somehow a tier above us in the pecking order. You see it from fans and national media alike. It is as if the on-field results from the last, oh, quarter century don't mean anything.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    I'll still never understand where this idea comes from that OM is somehow a tier above us in the pecking order. You see it from fans and national media alike. It is as if the on-field results from the last, oh, quarter century don't mean anything.
    I don't get it either.

It must be purely based on a perception caused by recruiting rankings. Problem is the OM cheated for that, so where does that leave them?

vCash
    We have a losing record. Regardless of bowl outcome. That doesn't help ones perception.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    I'd move both us and Mizzou up to that 3rd tier and drop UGA down to the 2nd tier. Otherwise I'd say it's about right. I'll still never understand where this idea comes from that OM is somehow a tier above us in the pecking order. You see it from fans and national media alike. It is as if the on-field results from the last, oh, quarter century don't mean anything.
    I think it goes back to the early 60s, and maybe even farther back, when OM had a powerful football program and we sort of were a basketball power in the SEC. Then along came the legendary Archie ... nuff said there. And even though Peyton didn't go to OM, he still gave positive national attention to OM. And then there was Eli. Then we have the past few years with those outstanding recruiting classes ... but the shine is beginning to dull with all the reports of cheating.