Thread: Looking at Kayak upgrade (Sharing my research)

vCash

Looking at Kayak upgrade (Sharing my research)

Already have an Ascend and it's fine but I'd like to upgrade and have another for a guest. The 2 I'm looking at are the Vibe Sea Ghost 130 and the Perception Pescador Pro 120.

First the Vibe

Love the layout and the simplicity. It retails for $899 but comes stock with seat, rudder, and paddle. That's a great value. All reviews are good and looks to be a quality made boat. I know a certified retailer so I may be able to swing a small discount on this one if I go this route but nothing earth shattering. Haven't put my hands on one but I'm considering a drive to Hatty to do so in the near future.

Pescador Pro

This is my dream layout. Retails for $829 so I'd have to come out of pocket for paddle and whatnot. This is my dream layout. Incredibly simple and built like a tank. It maneuvers well enough that you could put this on a creek with some moving water and feel comfortable. The genius of this boat is it's pre fitted to mount a lowarance depth finder/chart plotter. The compartment in the console is the battery housing and right in front of it in the tank well is a scupper that is specifically for the lowrance transducer and the battery housing console has holes drilled for easy wiring. Just mount the display on top of the hatch. It's genius design.

I looked at a few more Kayaks and I'll share what I learned.

Pelican Catch 120

Pelican jumped in the decent entry level kayak game with this and the layout is nice. Looks like a solid, comfortable yak. I did some research and found out that there is already some design concerns with this boat such as terribly placed scupper holes and the overall quality being average. Being an Ascend FS 128 T owner, I'd like to warn you about the rollout model of a line. Don't get generation 1. If this looked like a boat for you, I'd come back and see what Pelican tweeks next year due to complaints. If Pelican is serious about this line of kayak, they'll make it better every year.

Field and Stream Shadow Caster 123

Love the look and the layout. This is a fine looking boat. I went up to Dick's to really push and prod on this thing and the first thing that jumps out is the flimsy plastic very similar to that of my Ascend. The next thing that jumps out is the weight at 98 pounds. You'll definitely have good stability but it will be like paddling a barge, much like the Ascend. Love the skid deck being stock. And just like the Pelican, I'd wait until generation II rolls out with this one so they can fix a few things. I'm partial to a bow tank well in in leu of the hatch but that's just my preference.

Updated 2016 Ascend 128 T

The biggest thing I like about this yak is that Ascend listened to feedback and fixed the issues from the model that I have. The biggest issue they have is that the hatches sat on the floor and when water got in the yak, it would leak to the hull via the hatch seals. You have to seal and reseal the old model to keep it dry in the hull. It's not a huge deal more than it is a reoccuring annoyance. In the 2016 model they raise both the hatches an inch of the deck to prevent that. Genius. They also reinforced the floor where you stand to be much more study and put a non skid deck. That reinforcement led to a weight increase to 96 lbs. The plastic is still flimsy in the 2 tank wells and but they fixed where it counts the most. The hull rigidity feels exactly the same to me (which is a little soft). The 12 T also has the raised hatches and is a great value at $649. I thought I'd love the swivel seat but I really never use that capability. All in all, of the last 3, this one is the best by far. Ascend listened to their customers and fixed some issues. Of the 3 big box stores, this is the best entry level kayak in my opinion.

vCash
    Guests that don't have their own kayak and don't fish much usually get something like this:

Seriously though, that Pescador Pro is a sweet looking rig. I am not in need of a new kayak, but would take a hard look at that one if I were.

vCash
    Those are nice, but a bit too heavy for me as I load/unload off the top of my Tacoma camper shell. I need my yak to be around 50lbs, as I also carry it up to 100 yards or so when launching...depending on the area I am fishing/hunting.

Next upgrade for me will be the Ultimate 12 FX @ 52 lbs.

vCash
    Went and looked at a KC today. Above my budget but sexy boat. Had the seat upgrade and trolling motor mount akready installed. The most open deck I've seen. Great marsh boat.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SapperDawg View Post
    Those are nice, but a bit too heavy for me as I load/unload off the top of my Tacoma camper shell. I need my yak to be around 50lbs, as I also carry it up to 100 yards or so when launching...depending on the area I am fishing/hunting.

Next upgrade for me will be the Ultimate 12 FX @ 52 lbs.

That's a cool boat. That's light as a feather. I'm sure it paddles like a champ. How is the stability? Just from layout, it looks like it should be stabile.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    That's a cool boat. That's light as a feather. I'm sure it paddles like a champ. How is the stability? Just from layout, it looks like it should be stabile.
    Very stable - the tunnel hull really helps. The raised seat on the fx models is a vast improvement as well, I have a diy mod to get mine up.

vCash
    I'm not much for fishing, more of a "let's see what is around the bend" type but my latest upgrade was to a Wilderness Ride 115 and as long as weight is not an issue it's a great ride

vCash
    Yall forgive me; I'm just an West Alabammy Redneck... But I'm tryin' to get a grasp on this "Kayak Fishin'" thingy...

Where do you put this?:

beer.jpg

Where do you mount this?:

phone.jpg

lastly, is there seating for this?:

chick.jpg
    "It is not courage to resist TUSK; It is courage to accept TUSK."

No.

Easy there buddy. Tusk is...well Tusk is Tusk. Tireddawg 12.20.17

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TUSK View Post
    Yall forgive me; I'm just an West Alabammy Redneck... But I'm tryin' to get a grasp on this "Kayak Fishin'" thingy...

Where do you put this?:

beer.jpg

Where do you mount this?:

phone.jpg

lastly, is there seating for this?:

chick.jpg
    #1- I usually put mine in a cooler in the rear tank well. I also have a hatch at my feet to the hull and sometimes I put a soft side in the hatch with my drinks.

#2- LOL

#3- I usually keep my face clean

vCash
    Went to the local Academy to see if they had a Pescador Pro I could put my hands on and they did not but they did have the 12 foot pelican enforcer which is the less tricked out version of the catch 120. I see the complaints on the setup as far as the scupper placement. I'd definitely keep a sponge on board. I also don't like the bungee paddle keeps. They dry rot. I liked the huge rear tank well, the seat looks amazing, and the floor is sturdier than my 2014 ascend fs 128t. If you can see in the pic, the seat is folded down but there is an additional lumbar support strap behind the back of the chair. At $549 this yak is great bang for your buck. Not perfect but good deal.

vCash
    The only knock on the pelican sot I have (basic boat, not pro) is that it needs weight in the rear well to track well.