Thread: Hell of an article by Stephen Godfrey on how MSU turned OSU into a running threat

vCash

Hell of an article by Stephen Godfrey on how MSU turned OSU into a running threat

http://www.sbnation.com/college-foot...sissippi-state

That Godfrey is OK even if he is a rebel. He is a helluva writer.

vCash
    Good article and good analysis. Some of the stats given confirm our D did very well, considering our lack of O.

Banned
    vCash
    I've always been hard on Godfrey, but that was a well-written article. He usually tries to be clever and cute, and fails miserably. That article was informative and well-done. Good job Godfrey. It shows what he can do when he doesn't try to be so internet cool.

Banned
    vCash
    I would love to read a similar article, but an in-depth look at our offense's plan and performance. It would probably be one short paragraph....

vCash
    The problem with that article is that it's not exactly accurate.

On the other site, Godfrey's thread title states that the "Bulldogs created a 'diamond' OSU offense". Oklahoma State has been using the diamond package as a part of their running game for several years. Here's a video of them running it in 2011:

www.youtube.com/embed/FmSK6F3DN0E

They have been using the formation for a long time. It's not something we forced them into. They were going to run that regardless of what we did.

Also, Oklahoma State has been a strong running team for a while. Some people, including myself, tried to tell you all that before the game. Showed stats of how they ran for 200 yards per game last year. How they ran more than they passed last year. Yet, some people still see OSU as a high powered passing team when that is not an accurate description of their offense at all.

Sometimes perception is not reality.

vCash
    Maybe you didn't read it.

"It was on tape, somewhere, but that's the only thing the two coaching staffs could agree upon. Oklahoma State's sudden departure from one of the most potent passing offenses in the country to a triple-option running attack had some precedent. Just where it came from is the debate.

"We saw their offensive coordinator run it at … California, was it? Ship? I knew it was one of the Pennsylvania schools," Mississippi State head coach Dan Mullen said in the post-game press conference

It's often called diamond or full house. Yurcich and the Cowboys call it trey. Saturday's iteration featured two tailbacks and one fullback aligned in a triangle around mobile quarterback J.W. Walsh. In his first game coaching at the FBS level -- for a BCS title contender and the preseason favorite to win the Big 12, to boot -- Yurcich deflected credit.

"We didn't run any trey package [at Shippensburg]. We've had that formation as part of our offense here at Oklahoma State
    ," Yurich insisted. He did concede that OSU's most successful play of the day, an inside zone read, was new to OSU when run out of the diamond.

Also: "(146 yards is the lowest passing total for Oklahoma State since 2009)" and " But Walsh is still primarily throwing the ball, and OSU's two quarterbacks are a combined 8-of-15 passing for 25 yards with 3:49 remaining in the half. By contrast, the Cowboys had 324 total yards passing against TCU last season, the best statistical defense they saw in 2012."

The point is they usually throw for 300+ yards, while also running for a lot, but not as many as they did Saturday. The point of the article was that we did a great job of preparing for their traditional offense and forced them to go an unplanned and atypical route (for them).

vCash
    It is sad that our defense may have played their best game of the season and we lost by 18. I love coach Collins.

vCash
    Excellent article.

Collins seems legit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post
    It is sad that our defense may have played their best game of the season and we lost by 18. I love coach Collins.
    I feel like the defense will get better and better as the year goes on. I don't think the offenses will get better except maybe for aTm.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I feel like the defense will get better and better as the year goes on. I don't think the offenses will get better except maybe for aTm.
    My point, was that our defense most likely held an opponent to a score that will be much farther from the mean than the rest of our opponent. OK state will end up averaging over 35 per game pretty easily. Can't believe our offense pulled that crap last week. I'm not drunk still.... But I'm still as mad as when I left that stadium..

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bo Darville View Post
    I've always been hard on Godfrey, but that was a well-written article. He usually tries to be clever and cute, and fails miserably. That article was informative and well-done. Good job Godfrey. It shows what he can do when he doesn't try to be so internet cool.
    When he is on H to H, he a Cross are homers and I always turn the radio channel. He makes me sick to my gut. Notice how he manage to get Ole Miss in the article. Needed not to be mentions to make his point. He's a homer no matter what he is doing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post
    My point, was that our defense most likely held an opponent to a score that will be much farther from the mean than the rest of our opponent. OK state will end up averaging over 35 per game pretty easily. Can't believe our offense pulled that crap last week. I'm not drunk still.... But I'm still as mad as when I left that stadium..
    35 if they average our game in. If not I think you will be able to add another 10 points in the average.

vCash
    Watching the GIF's, just pisses me off again. Deonte Skinner got killed all day on those runs. He kept running into McKinney in the inside gap instead of playing the outside gap (QB/RB). If he plays that right, we lead at the half 3-0.

Of course, if Tyler throws the ball to the wideout instead of to Perkins, and ANY of our 5 guys actually block for Calhoun, we lead 17-7 even with Skinners mistakes.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    I feel like the defense will get better and better as the year goes on.
    You think it will if the offense continues to suck their thumbs? I don't know, I just see the D cashing it in at some point if Mullen and Koenning can't figure something out quick.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BossDawg View Post
    You think it will if the offense continues to suck their thumbs? I don't know, I just see the D cashing it in at some point if Mullen and Koenning can't figure something out quick.
    Well as bad as the offense was we still led in TOP. What killed us was 3rd down conversions. If we can start converting 3rd downs at a higher percentage, I think our defense could go from good to great. So to answer your question, yeah the defense will need some help from offense.