Thread: Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread

vCash

Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread

I'll kick this off with my weird experimenting for Thursday lunch. I smoked a turkey on Sunday and wanted to polish off the leftovers today. I diced the remaining smoked turkey. Threw it in a skillet with diced red onion and some onion butter. All that is, where I work we sell saut?ed onions. I steal some butter from the pan. Then when the onions where translucent, I added a little bbq sauce and mixed. Put it on a bun and topped with swiss. Call it a holiday sloppy joe

vCash
    May not be doing any cooking until Sunday. I have HS roundball tonight and tomorrow. This shit never ends. I do have some leftover smoked butt that I'm going to use to make Grumpy's BBQ nachos tomorrow night.

vCash
    Picked up some good daily drinkers at the ABC store today. The Eagle Rare and BT are single barrel selects for the AL ABC chain. Last time they did these, those bottles were amazing.

vCash
    Didn't take any pics but fried some tenderloin off a doe I got opening weekend, rice and gravy, and some homemade biscuits.

vCash
    Had a couple tries of fish & chips (second one was sweet potatoe with a "curry mayo" dipping sauce). Propeller Brewing porter is solid. Stopped by the Nine Locks brewery and it was pretty meh. Granite Irish stout isn't bad.

John's Lunch and Freddie's Fantastic Fish are supposed to be the best 2 fish and chip locations in Nova Scotia. John's is a hole in the wall old house, but makes some great food. Ate there with a Brit and he was impressed as well.

vCash
    Dude that's awesome speck. Love some beer batter fish n chips

vCash
    Just got the word that it's chili night at inlaws house. Whiskey night it is

vCash
    Chili here tonight. Elk and beef short rib. This is my favorite chili method this far...fatty, meaty, flavorful without terrible spicyness. Since my gals dont like very spicy food, I omit the jalape?o and substitute the ground chipotle with ancho.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chili_con_carne/

Last edited by SapperDawg; 12-03-2016 at 09:13 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Dude that's awesome speck. Love some beer batter fish n chips
    I'm pretty picky about the quality of fish, but it has been great up here.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SapperDawg View Post
    Chili here tonight. Elk and beef short rib. This is my favorite chili method this far...fatty, meaty, flavorful with terrible spicyness. Since my gals dont like very spicy food, I omit the jalape?o and substitute the ground chipotle with ancho.

http://www.simplyrecipes.com/recipes/chili_con_carne/

That looks great. Nice work

vCash
    Speck - there are some pretty good Canadian ryes with some age on them. You had a chance to run into any of that during your stay?

vCash
    Did you fry the sweet potatoes? I've tried every method to get crispy, non fried sweet potato fries.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SapperDawg View Post
    Speck - there are some pretty good Canadian ryes with some age on them. You had a chance to run into any of that during your stay?
    I have not, but need to do some reasearch now...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
    Did you fry the sweet potatoes? I've tried every method to get crispy, non fried sweet potato fries.
    They came from a restaurant, but they were fried. Dang good too.