Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey Dan, give Charlie a call...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Have you guys not noticed that when we play well defensively Dan doesn't take the credit and when we don't play well, Dan takes the blame. That's called leadership. Dan doesn't meddle near as much as this board thinks.

There's only so much you can do defensively and we have had different schemes from Collins to Manny and now to Sirmon. If we hired a good DC like a Jim Leavitt, Dan would let him do his job.

"That's just absolutely pathetic," Bulldogs coach Dan Mullen said. "That's a terrible job by our defensive coaching staff." -- Dan Mullen, post-Egg Bowl 2014.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GTHOM View Post
    This is just false
    You're a typical fanatic so I know you can't comprehend what I posted. Mullen was accountable for the horrific 1A/1B, he thought he had innovated something. That atrocity was on him and it's a reason we lost our last 3 games of the season.

He also had a habit of dressing down his assistants on the sidelines. If you notice this year, he hasn't chewed out Sirmon or any of the defensive staff so I think he is trying to learn from past mistakes. He's the head coach so he is responsible for all aspects of the program, but he let's his coaches coach.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    "That's just absolutely pathetic," Bulldogs coach Dan Mullen said. "That's a terrible job by our defensive coaching staff." -- Dan Mullen, post-Egg Bowl 2014.
    It was. He was right. Does that sound like a guy who was calling the defensive plays?

vCash
    You're a typical fanatic so I know you can't comprehend what I posted. Mullen was accountable for the horrific 1A/1B, he thought he had innovated something. That atrocity was on him and it's a reason we lost our last 3 games of the season.

He also had a habit of dressing down his assistants on the sidelines. If you notice this year, he hasn't chewed out Sirmon or any of the defensive staff so I think he is trying to learn from past mistakes. He's the head coach so he is responsible for all aspects of the program, but he let's his coaches coach.
    Haha ok. One big reason he hasnt chewed Sirmons ass on the sideline is because he's just as involved in the D as he is. But continue to dig deeper in the sand

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by bluelightstar View Post
    ''Well we probably wouldnt have made the playoff anyway'' Dan Mullen 2014 post game presser

vCash
    Haha ok. One big reason he hasnt chewed Sirmons ass on the sideline is because he's just as involved in the D as he is. But continue to dig deeper in the sand
    I know you hate Dan. You have made that abundantly clear with your last 500 posts. But I'm pretty confident I know more about the program than you. Dan doesn't want to be hands on with the defense, but if they aren't getting the job done, he will step in. What I would like to see is Dan find someone he trusts so Dan can focus on the offense and running the program. Dan really had to swallow his pride when he brought Manny back, but he thought it was best for MSU. Of course, I can't remember which game it was but he completely chewed him out on the sideline and I knew at that point Manny was gone.

vCash
    I know you hate Dan. You have made that abundantly clear with your last 500 posts. But I'm pretty confident I know more about the program than you. Dan doesn't want to be hands on with the defense, but if they aren't getting the job done, he will step in. What I would like to see is Dan find someone he trusts so Dan can focus on the offense and running the program. Dan really had to swallow his pride when he brought Manny back, but he thought it was best for MSU. Of course, I can't remember which game it was but he completely chewed him out on the sideline and I knew at that point Manny was gone.
    Listen dude Im not gonna get in a pissing contest with you, I have my connections just like everybody says they do on this board. Mullen will Mullen. Mullen is a micromanager and the reason he had to get Diaz is because nobody else would come. We are not going to sign a good DC because no good DC wants to bow to Mullen. Just telling you the truth. Deny if you wish but the proof is on the field. Mullen has called defensive plays at times this year or had a big hand in them.

vCash
    Listen dude Im not gonna get in a pissing contest with you, I have my connections just like everybody says they do on this board. Mullen will Mullen. Mullen is a micromanager and the reason he had to get Diaz is because nobody else would come. We are not going to sign a good DC because no good DC wants to bow to Mullen. Just telling you the truth. Deny if you wish but the proof is on the field. Mullen has called defensive plays at times this year or had a big hand in them.
    Yes, of course he has. Mullen made the wrong hire. He was caught off guard by Manny leaving. If you ever posted anything of substance other than "fire dan" then maybe I could take you seriously.

vCash
    Have you guys not noticed that when we play well defensively Dan doesn't take the credit and when we don't play well, Dan takes the blame. That's called leadership. Dan doesn't meddle near as much as this board thinks.

There's only so much you can do defensively and we have had different schemes from Collins to Manny and now to Sirmon. If we hired a good DC like a Jim Leavitt, Dan would let him do his job.
    Different schemes same philosophy.

vCash
    Did we offer Tom Allen last time? I feel like I remember him as a candidate.

vCash
    Yes, of course he has. Mullen made the wrong hire. He was caught off guard by Manny leaving. If you ever posted anything of substance other than "fire dan" then maybe I could take you seriously.
    Jesus. Mullen tried to leave with Manny. All hail HoopsDawg bringer of knowledge and insight

vCash
    Strong has 2 more years on his contract that will pay him $10.2 mm if he doesn't accept a job offer within that period. Surely he's not going to piss off that money for a DC position.

vCash
    Jesus. Mullen tried to leave with Manny. All hail HoopsDawg bringer of knowledge and insight
    It's not personal bud. Mullen meddles with the D but not as much as everyone thinks. Go back and read my original post, it's not directed at you but what has become accepted as fact in this board.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Thick View Post
    Strong has 2 more years on his contract that will pay him $10.2 mm if he doesn't accept a job offer within that period. Surely he's not going to piss off that money for a DC position.
    That money's only offset by whatever he makes at the next position

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbite View Post
    All our DC's are one year wonders. They are here for one year and we wonder if they know what the heck they are doing!
    Actually, Sirmon is only the second one like that, with Torbush being the first. And Torbush was 10x the DC that Sirmon is. That is what is scary.

Banned
    vCash
    Honestly, how could this even be possible? In 8 years he's only had 2 DC's return for year 2 and none for year 3. And the guy you say "caught him off guard" had already left once before. How could he have been even remotely surprised? And even if he was, how is that an excuse for him to hire a 35 year old inebackers coach instead of a seasoned DC?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    Actually, Sirmon is only the second one like that, with Torbush being the first. And Torbush was 10x the DC that Sirmon is. That is what is scary.
    True. We are also exactly 10 points per game worse this year than last year in conference games. 36 points per game vs 26. Torbush was 29.4

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    My list would be Tom Allen, Tim DeRuyter, Appalachain State head coach, and a chicken. All would be upgrades over Sirmon.
    I was for Allen all the way last year.

As my man Trump would say......Sirmon as DC, bad,bad hire. Not good judgement!!!
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    Honestly, how could this even be possible? In 8 years he's only had 2 DC's return for year 2 and none for year 3. And the guy you say "caught him off guard" had already left once before. How could he have been even remotely surprised? And even if he was, how is that an excuse for him to hire a 35 year old inebackers coach instead of a seasoned DC?
    Employees that are pissed off at their boss and want to stick it to them do stuff like leave covertly all the time. Usually it's in the form of leaving without a two week notice. But in the coaching world leaving the equivalent is just leaving suddenly. Heck, Cannizaro just did that to Manieri a few weeks ago.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    I was for Allen all the way last year.

As my man Trump would say......Sirmon as DC, bad,bad hire. Not good judgement!!!
    I think Allen would probably be the best choice. He knows Ole Miss's offense inside and out. He has stopped Alabama and Kiffen before. If it were me, I'd overpay for him and give him a million dollars plus the associate head coach title. I know that would piss Dan off, but I don't really care at this point. He needs a fire lit under his panties or whatever they wear in the north. It probably would end up like Ditka and Ryan with better offensive production relatively speaking to the league that we are in. I think DeRuyter would be a better "fit" because I think he and Dan would get along better. DeRuyter to me is basically a poor man's Charlie Strong but maybe a better DC. I like his SEC history and his history of turning around defenses. I think Dan would respect him. Appalachain State's head coach is more like what we have had the most success with- Sun Belt DC who has had a lot of success in that league. His name is Nate Woody for those wondering. Our two worst DC's under Dan were former power five assistants with no DC experience- Wilson and Sirmon. Manny and Geoff Collins were the Sun Belt guys and they both were much better.