Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hey Dan, give Charlie a call...

vCash

Hey Dan, give Charlie a call...

I wouldn't mind a one year wonder at DC right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    Yes.. And then stay the **** down.
    Last edited by Ari Gold; 11-20-2016 at 07:03 PM.

vCash
    Pipe dream. Mullen won't do it. We need to pay a million or more to get him and Dan won't allow that.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Pipe dream. Mullen won't do it. We need to pay a million or more to get him and Dan won't allow that.
    No we wouldn't. He is going to go where he wants to go and not worry about money because UT will have to pay out the remainder of what he is owed off of his current deal.

vCash
    My list would be Tom Allen, Tim DeRuyter, Appalachain State head coach, and a chicken. All would be upgrades over Sirmon.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    No we wouldn't. He is going to go where he wants to go and not worry about money because UT will have to pay out the remainder of what he is owed off of his current deal.
    Which would save us money. LT would be so proud.

vCash
    What do you mean Dan won't allow it?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    What do you mean Dan won't allow it?
    Don't you think that if we wanted a big name DC we would have gotten one by now? Every other team in the West outside of OM has made big time DC hires in the last 5 years or had big time DC hires already. We haven't and I think there's a reason.

I'm not in the know, but there's a reason to me that we not only keep some of our staff around that should have been gone a while back, but we have had opportunities to bring in big time DCs and we haven't. Doesn't even seem like we've tried. If someone knows different set me straight but I get the feeling Dan wants a DC he can meddle with and an established DC won't allow that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    I guess it'd depend on his UT contract, but normally wouldn't whatever he makes at a new job be deducted from the $5M/yr that Texas will have to pay him for some time (whatever his contractual period is)? So as far as he's concerned, he'd be working free.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    I guess it'd depend on his UT contract, but normally wouldn't whatever he makes at a new job be deducted from the $5M/yr that Texas will have to pay him for some time (whatever his contractual period is)? So as far as he's concerned, he'd be working free.
    Correct say we pay him 500k ut would normally have to pay 4.5mm

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    All our DC's are one year wonders. They are here for one year and we wonder if they know what the heck they are doing!

Banned
    vCash
    Please get off the Fire Sirmon thing for now. It's his first year as DC and he definitely has had a lot to learn. But Dan also needs to back off and let him coach. Sirmon is a top recruiter and we don't need to be starting this shit for now.

vCash
    Or we could contractually defer his salar until his severance is fully paid out

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    My list would be Tom Allen, Tim DeRuyter, Appalachain State head coach, and a chicken. All would be upgrades over Sirmon.
    DeRuyter would be excellent. I mentioned this the day he was fired at Fresno.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Dog View Post
    Please get off the Fire Sirmon thing for now. It's his first year as DC and he definitely has had a lot to learn. But Dan also needs to back off and let him coach. Sirmon is a top recruiter and we don't need to be starting this shit for now.
    Strong has been a top recruiter at Florida and Louisville. Simmons has no feel for the game adjustments you can't coach that

vCash
    Don't you think that if we wanted a big name DC we would have gotten one by now? Every other team in the West outside of OM has made big time DC hires in the last 5 years or had big time DC hires already. We haven't and I think there's a reason.

I'm not in the know, but there's a reason to me that we not only keep some of our staff around that should have been gone a while back, but we have had opportunities to bring in big time DCs and we haven't. Doesn't even seem like we've tried. If someone knows different set me straight but I get the feeling Dan wants a DC he can meddle with and an established DC won't allow that.
    I thought you were saying that Dan keeps their salary low for a reason.

I think Dan's meddling is the main reason we can't get one. But I'm not sure that means that he doesn't want one.

I don't know that Dan knows what he really wants on defense to be honest with you which I think is one reason why he was so puzzled during the postgame interview. He says he wants an aggressive defense every year but then he demands that we play soft coverage bend but don't break with very generic blitzes during game time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post
    DeRuyter would be excellent. I mentioned this the day he was fired at Fresno.
    And he has a history of turning around defenses and he coached at Texas A&M just prior to them joining the SEC. He does run a 3-4 but if he comes here at least our guys would have spent a year in a 3-4 system. I'm thinking it's more about who the coach is rather than the actual scheme and the players in our case.

vCash
    Have you guys not noticed that when we play well defensively Dan doesn't take the credit and when we don't play well, Dan takes the blame. That's called leadership. Dan doesn't meddle near as much as this board thinks.

There's only so much you can do defensively and we have had different schemes from Collins to Manny and now to Sirmon. If we hired a good DC like a Jim Leavitt, Dan would let him do his job.

vCash
    Charlie Strong, nor any other DC that is not okay with being a yes man to Professor Mullen wont come here

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HoopsDawg View Post
    Have you guys not noticed that when we play well defensively Dan doesn't take the credit and when we don't play well, Dan takes the blame. That's called leadership. Dan doesn't meddle near as much as this board thinks.

There's only so much you can do defensively and we have had different schemes from Collins to Manny and now to Sirmon. If we hired a good DC like a Jim Leavitt, Dan would let him do his job.
    This is just false