Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sunday Morning QB- Pigs Strike Back Edition

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coursesuper View Post
    Big kid, seems to have some potential but is yet to show it. Maybe not ready for prime time just yet.
    Made a couple of nice catches last night. Like what I see from him blocking as well.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Fair enough. Do you fire Sirmon to accomplish this?
    Sirmon (and the entire defensive staff, honestly) have to be fired regardless. This is the worst defense in MSU history and he is the DC. And its not the worst we've ever had because just because of the lack of talent at the CB position. Hard to sugar coat it. Either fire the defensive staff or fire the whole staff. Otherwise our season ticket sales will make the latter of those options a foregone conclusion in 2017.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Fair enough. Do you fire Sirmon to accomplish this?
    Hell yes. Sirmon wouldn't even be in Oxford if I had the call.

Any good HS defensive Cord. would have had us in a bowl.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderman View Post
    Hell yes. Sirmon wouldn't even be in Oxford if I had the call.

Any good HS defensive Cord. would have had us in a bowl.
    To be fair, the offense in USA and byu games let us down. This terrible year has been a complete team effort.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Alphadog View Post
    Can you explain the difference for us amateurs. I look out there and see 4 down linemen and 3 linebackers a lot of the time. How is this considered a 4-3. I assume we are just walking a linebacker up to play the DE roll but wouldn't that essentially be a 4-3?
    It has nothing to do with alignment or or how many are on the line.

It is gap responsibility.

There is an A gap, B gap, C gap, and D gap. In a "4-3" defense, it is a 1 gap defense.... there is a player assigned to each gap, on both sides of the ball.

In a "3-4" the DL is responsible for 2 gaps. Nose for both A's, DT's , aligned in a 4i, ( inside shoulder of the OT's) are responsible for B gaps, in general. LB's read the gap DL takes and fills other. Safeties read LB gaps and run fit accordingly, while also having pass responsibility.

The "4-3" or 1 gap is simpler. There for easier to play, and why 99% of HS's and 95% of college's run 1 gap defenses.

Go look at the 1st TD. The LB didn't scrape over and fill the gap because he was too slow reading the gap. Not his fault, it's the dumbass scheme expecting our players to be able to read it.
    Last edited by Spiderman; 11-20-2016 at 10:51 PM.
    Not only did Mississippi State embarrass LSU on this night. Davis Wade Stadium wrecked Tiger Stadium in music choice, atmosphere and, most of all, volume.

When I'm 80 and deaf, it's not going to be all those Springsteen concerts or Queen at Municipal Auditorium in New Orleans on Halloween Night in 1978, it will be this game...............Glen Guilbeau--Sherveport Times

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    To be fair, the offense in USA and byu games let us down. This terrible year has been a complete team effort.
    Giving up a 17-0 lead is the O's fault? And BYU was lost on ... gasp... a missed FG

vCash
    Giving up a 17-0 lead is the O's fault? And BYU was lost on ... gasp... a missed FG
    Scoring 20 points in a game in which we were favored by 28...

I said this year has been on both sides. Early on offense. Late on defense.

vCash

There is an A gap, B gap, C gap, and D gap. In a "4-3" defense, it is a 1 gap defense.... there is a player assigned to each gap, on both sides of the ball.

In a "3-4" the DL is responsible for 2 gaps. Nose for both A's, DT's , aligned in a 4i, ( inside shoulder of the OT's) are responsible for B gaps, in general. LB's read the gap DL takes and fills other. Safeties read LB gaps and run fit accordingly, while also having pass responsibility.

The "4-3" or 1 gap is simpler. There for easier to play, and why 99% of HS's and 95% of college's run 1 gap defenses.

Go look at the 1st TD. The LB didn't scrape over and fill the gap because he was too slow reading the gap. Not his fault, it's the dumbass scheme expecting our players to be able to read it.
    Exactly! Running 3-4 in college is equivalent to trying to run west coast in college. You gotta have exactly the right athletes and tons of time to rep it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    Exactly! Running 3-4 in college is equivalent to trying to run west coast in college. You gotta have exactly the right athletes and tons of time to rep it.
    Bingo... or have Alabama talent with a master like Saban to coach them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Commercecomet24 View Post
    I'll tell you the interesting thing looking at these DC resume's- DeRuyter and Woody at Appalachain State both say on their bios that they run 3-4's and DeRuyter did it at Air Force (OK, those guys are usually pretty smart and probably can handle the reading aspect of the 3-4) but Appalachain State seems to do very well with it with lesser talent and they held their own against Tennessee in Knoxville this year.

And I'm not saying we should run the 3-4 at all. I was surprised when I read those bios that those coaches were running that defense. But what it tells me is that we're lacking in the coaching department this year on the defensive side of the ball because those two coaches would get more out of us running a 3-4 than what we are now.

I do agree with most that we should be a base 4-3 but I would like to be multiple if our guys can handle it. If they can't I'm totally fine with just being a 4-3. I could see why that type of defense would be more effective with kids from Mississippi.

It makes me kind of wonder if Dan would just be better off going after someone like Gene Chizek that runs a 4-3 with a lot of zone but knows how to coach it well because that's ultimately what we end up doing anyway. And yes, I'm sorry for mentioning the name of that slimeball.

vCash

Is it predetermined which gap the d-linemen take on each play in a 3-4? Or does it depend on how the blocking goes from play to play?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Is it predetermined which gap the d-linemen take on each play in a 3-4? Or does it depend on how the blocking goes from play to play?
    No, it is more of a read and react defense.

The 4-3, or as it should really be called, the 1 gap, is predetermined. Which is why you can be more aggressive

vCash
    No, it is more of a read and react defense.

The 4-3, or as it should really be called, the 1 gap, is predetermined. Which is why you can be more aggressive
    Gotcha.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    I'll tell you the interesting thing looking at these DC resume's- DeRuyter and Woody at Appalachain State both say on their bios that they run 3-4's and DeRuyter did it at Air Force (OK, those guys are usually pretty smart and probably can handle the reading aspect of the 3-4) but Appalachain State seems to do very well with it with lesser talent and they held their own against Tennessee in Knoxville this year.

And I'm not saying we should run the 3-4 at all. I was surprised when I read those bios that those coaches were running that defense. But what it tells me is that we're lacking in the coaching department this year on the defensive side of the ball because those two coaches would get more out of us running a 3-4 than what we are now.

I do agree with most that we should be a base 4-3 but I would like to be multiple if our guys can handle it. If they can't I'm totally fine with just being a 4-3. I could see why that type of defense would be more effective with kids from Mississippi.

It makes me kind of wonder if Dan would just be better off going after someone like Gene Chizek that runs a 4-3 with a lot of zone but knows how to coach it well because that's ultimately what we end up doing anyway. And yes, I'm sorry for mentioning the name of that slimeball.
    I think those are more anomalies. Like you pointed Air Force has extremely intelligent players and app state obviously well coached. Its just to run the 3-4 you have to have a couple beasts to play the nose and beasts at the ILB positions and the jack lb. We would defintely be better suited for a 4-3 or 4-2-5. Imo

vCash
    From what I've seen it looks like we've tried to input some of this 3-8 concept stuff. The spread defense stuff your seeing out west.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Coursesuper View Post
    From what I've seen it looks like we've tried to input some of this 3-8 concept stuff. The spread defense stuff your seeing out west.
    Doesn't work to well out there either lol