Thread: Two questions:

vCash

Two questions:

1) What the hell happened with our Oline? How do they go from being atrocious to dominating A&M?

My only possible guesses:
    A&M's line is weak and then also had a gimpy DE, so it wasn't as big of a jump as it looks. It's just steady progress.
    Guard is Jenkins natural position, so moving him there simultaenously took out a weak link and allowed us to get production from him (except that I don't think he replaced Desper, but Calhoun?)
    Rankin is the type of guy that freeze's when he tries to think and he finally grasped the offense to the point where he doesn't have to think too hard about what he has to do?
    The line was just finally allowed to get in a rhythm because A Williams running meant that not every mistake resulted in driving killing loss and also that 2 yd runs turned into 4 yd runs, 4 yd runs into 6, etc.
    The OL just played with mroe fire because they were excited to have a good RB to block for.

Anybody have any insight as to which, if any, of those guesses have any truth to them?

2) How in the hell has A. Williams been basically sitting the bench up to now?

This is a lot harder to explain. I guess it's either A. Williams is a J-Rob in disguise and we can expect to start hearing negative things about him later (despite this being the opposite of what is mostly said about him) or Mullen really did let favoritism keep A. Williams from playing. I know A Williams has made mistakes earlier when he's played, but he hasn't done anything that the older backs don't also do. And he's so much better, you'd think you would just live iwth the mistakes as long as the effort is there. Really at a loss as to why he's just now being handed the reigns.

vCash
    The bigger question is, Did Hevesy save his job with last weeks performance?

vCash
    Remember even though Garrett was banged up they still had Mack and Hall and a butt load of 4 and 5 star talent guys out there on the DL. Our guys just whipped them. It was refreshing to see and whatever they did to get it turned on they need to stay with it. We need Rankin at LT, Jenkins at LG, Clayborn-C, Calhoun-RG and Senior at RT. And you're aboslutely right about Williams, he shouldve been there from the get go!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgbite View Post
    The bigger question is, Did Hevesy save his job with last weeks performance?
    You could say... has hev saved his job with this year's performance?

4th in sec in rushing offense
    5th in sec in rushing yards per attempt
    3rd in sec in sacks allowed

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    You could say... has hev saved his job with this year's performance?

4th in sec in rushing offense
    5th in sec in rushing yards per attempt
    3rd in sec in sacks allowed
    That's not what we were saying this time last week. There you go bringing reasoning and rational statistics to a message board, it's just not the place for that!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    This is a lot harder to explain. I guess it's either A. Williams is a J-Rob in disguise and we can expect to start hearing negative things about him later (despite this being the opposite of what is mostly said about him) or Mullen really did let favoritism keep A. Williams from playing.
    I don't think so. I had left some stuff in my Gridiron locker a few weeks ago. Long story short, a grad assistant from Bulldog Suites met me there at lunch one day so I could go retrieve what I needed. We were talking on the way out, and this was after the BYU game. I mentioned really liking what I was seeing from Aeris. He told me was one of Aeris tutors, and that he is really amazed with him. This guy said he was one of the nicest, brightest kids in the locker room.

I could tell this dude liked him, and he said everyone was happy that he was doing well. Sounded like Aeris is well liked on the team.

vCash
    We had injuries that made running backs and lineman have to step up. They got their shot and made the best of it. I think it was just them learning and jelling.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jbjones View Post
    I don't think so. I had left some stuff in my Gridiron locker a few weeks ago. Long story short, a grad assistant from Bulldog Suites met me there at lunch one day so I could go retrieve what I needed. We were talking on the way out, and this was after the BYU game. I mentioned really liking what I was seeing from Aeris. He told me was one of Aeris tutors, and that he is really amazed with him. This guy said he was one of the nicest, brightest kids in the locker room.

I could tell this dude liked him, and he said everyone was happy that he was doing well. Sounded like Aeris is well liked on the team.
    A few weeks ago when Fitz did something good seems no one celebrated with him. Now they are all high five and chest bumping him. I guess what ever issue they had they have left it off the field.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    A few weeks ago when Fitz did something good seems no one celebrated with him. Now they are all high five and chest bumping him. I guess what ever issue they had they have left it off the field.
    I watched a video that was shot from the sideline and following the players onto the field after the last play. The emotion on Fitz face was crazy,he was on a knee and kid had tears in his eyes and Offensive Lineman and others were hugging him like a brother. Was good stuff. I believe Fitz's competitveness and toughness has won everyone over(I'm not convinced they disliked him in the first place). That kid has heart and competes, i'll take that everyday!

vCash
    Ambition and emotion continue to fool people about winning and losing in sports. That's what this game was all about.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    1) What the hell happened with our Oline? How do they go from being atrocious to dominating A&M?

My only possible guesses:
    A&M's line is weak and then also had a gimpy DE, so it wasn't as big of a jump as it looks. It's just steady progress.
    Guard is Jenkins natural position, so moving him there simultaenously took out a weak link and allowed us to get production from him (except that I don't think he replaced Desper, but Calhoun?)
    Rankin is the type of guy that freeze's when he tries to think and he finally grasped the offense to the point where he doesn't have to think too hard about what he has to do?
    The line was just finally allowed to get in a rhythm because A Williams running meant that not every mistake resulted in driving killing loss and also that 2 yd runs turned into 4 yd runs, 4 yd runs into 6, etc.
    The OL just played with mroe fire because they were excited to have a good RB to block for.

Anybody have any insight as to which, if any, of those guesses have any truth to them?

2) How in the hell has A. Williams been basically sitting the bench up to now?

This is a lot harder to explain. I guess it's either A. Williams is a J-Rob in disguise and we can expect to start hearing negative things about him later (despite this being the opposite of what is mostly said about him) or Mullen really did let favoritism keep A. Williams from playing. I know A Williams has made mistakes earlier when he's played, but he hasn't done anything that the older backs don't also do. And he's so much better, you'd think you would just live iwth the mistakes as long as the effort is there. Really at a loss as to why he's just now being handed the reigns.
    1. Something with the coaching/leadership.

2. See #1

vCash
    Fitz and Ross have been celebrating since the USC game. They dabbed and did some handshake at the end of the game.