Thread: Baseball Question - Any experts/dads out there?

vCash

Baseball Question - Any experts/dads out there?

Hi, quick question about the rules regarding my son?s catcher's equipment. I was wondering about the difference between the full, hockey-style mask and the old-school style that goes over the skull cap. I recently purchased the facemask style that goes over the skull cap for my son who has recently picked up catching a big way. I got him this mask but a few of the parents at our workouts have made comments about some regulations or rules I was unaware of. In my nervousness, I just ordered this mask as well that looks a lot safer but I know it doesn't have that cool pro look my son wants. Should I bring both with me just in case? Or does anyone know how this aspect of the game is governed? Anything helps!

vCash
    Somebody with younger kids can tell you more about the rules, but I would carry both. Kind of like the guy in Lonesome Dove said about the gun. "I'd rather have it and not need it, than need it and not have it"

vCash
    Check with the park your kid is registered to play at, or if they play within a certain governing association like Little League, Pony League, Dixie Youth, etc., the rules should be on their websites. My son caught up until a couple of years ago, and there were no regs for our gear.

vCash
    There's usually not rules regarding catchers gear except that they have to wear a cup.

The mask over a helmet is easier to snatch off. The hockey style masks are the new trend though.