Thread: OT - For my fellow golfers

vCash

OT - For my fellow golfers

There are rumors that a private equity company has purchased TaylorMade. The significance? One of those members is TIGER WOODS.

Dude is a boss. Maybe that was one of the reasons he pulled out of the Safeway tournament this week.

I'm gonna go trademark "TigerMade" now

vCash
    He killed me when he pulled out of the safeway open. I was so pumped to see his return.

vCash
    If this was true you would expect his bag to be all TM gear which, as of two weeks ago, it wasn't.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MrKotter View Post
    If this was true you would expect his bag to be all TM gear which, as of two weeks ago, it wasn't.
    They hadn't bought TaylorMade yet so don't think that's any indication.

vCash
    He was playing with Nike equipment (when he actually played). Now that Nike is no longer in the golf club business, it would make sense for him to invest and switch to a brand where he could get paid via the ownership route.

vCash
    If that's the case and TaylorMade goes out from under the Adidas umbrella, are we free agents on the club (and golf ball) manufacturer at that point?

vCash
    He'all probably go back to Miura and slap a major name on them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jumbo View Post
    Miura is a major name now. And the kind of hacks that follow tiger have no business with anything Miura.

vCash
    Tiger has launched his design business, a friend of mine is super on his first US design. It's impressive very well done. But they asked a bunch of very pointed questions before they let him do the work. And his fee was very reasonable for the golf design business.

vCash
    Tiger playing his prime = great TV. Tiger now is a waste of time. Anyone hoping he will make a solid return will be disappointed. It is probably good he is getting involved in the back end of the business as he can undoubtedly be a great asset to someone. Tiger really was a blast to watch in his prime and I don't know if there will ever be another golfer that can captivate and audience like he was able too.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Tiger playing his prime = great TV. Tiger now is a waste of time. Anyone hoping he will make a solid return will be disappointed. It is probably good he is getting involved in the back end of the business as he can undoubtedly be a great asset to someone. Tiger really was a blast to watch in his prime and I don't know if there will ever be another golfer that can captivate and audience like he was able too.
    Tiger will never be the way he was, but I think if he could layoff golf long enough to fully recover, he could be competitive well into his 40's. For most people, rebuilding their swing at this age into something easier on their body probably wouldn't be realistic, but I think for Tiger, the biggest obstacle is whether he can mentally handle being just another golfer and whether he can stop himself from dialing it up too much.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Agree completely, however, the ratings for when he comes back for real are going to be through the roof- especially if he can make a cut.

I know when you said "great TV" you meant quality of actual golf, but with him back, i bet the ratings almost double.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by jumbo View Post
    When was he playing Miura's? He was Muzuno before his club deals. Wouldn't blame him going Miura though.

vCash
    When was he playing Miura's? He was Muzuno before his club deals. Wouldn't blame him going Miura though.
    Pretty sure he's been using Miura irons for years. Just switched to Mizuno from what i read.

He was using Miura irons and getting nike to stamp their logo on them

vCash

Before Nike. Then in the beginning of Nike's club days he played them with Nike logos on them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by louisvilledawg View Post
    Agree completely, however, the ratings for when he comes back for real are going to be through the roof- especially if he can make a cut.

I know when you said "great TV" you meant quality of actual golf, but with him back, i bet the ratings almost double.
    Yea, quality of golf. And yep I will be tuning in to watch it unfold if and when it does happen. I just think he is too banged up to ever recover and it is sad because he would have done some absolutely amazing things.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Gutter Cobreh View Post
    He was playing with Nike equipment (when he actually played). Now that Nike is no longer in the golf club business, it would make sense for him to invest and switch to a brand where he could get paid via the ownership route.
    Didn't he play Titleist before Nike bought him out many years ago? Personally, I think using Nike equipment was the beginning of his downfall (if you want to call it that ... it's all relative).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RocketDawg View Post
    Didn't he play Titleist before Nike bought him out many years ago? Personally, I think using Nike equipment was the beginning of his downfall (if you want to call it that ... it's all relative).
    Yes he signed with titleist and played their irons but those irons were mizuno's with titleist stamped on them. I think they were mp14 s but it's been a while and I'd need to see them again may have been 29s. I just forget.

I set him up with his putter but he could not part with that dumbass ping grip. hell, I copied that anser he loved to a freaking T including the grip. But no, weirdo has to use the ping grip, so we had to black out the "PING" with a black sharpie. But you could still see it in person. They need to make a "flat black" sharpie, lol.
    ******* weirdo. glad Nike had to take that shit over. No wonder they quit the golf business.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by scottycameron View Post
    Yes he signed with titleist and played their irons but those irons were mizuno's with titleist stamped on them. I think they were mp14 s but it's been a while and I'd need to see them again may have been 29s. I just forget.

I set him up with his putter but he could not part with that dumbass ping grip. hell, I copied that anser he loved to a freaking T including the grip. But no, weirdo has to use the ping grip, so we had to black out the "PING" with a black sharpie. But you could still see it in person. They need to make a "flat black" sharpie, lol.
    ******* weirdo. glad Nike had to take that shit over. No wonder they quit the golf business.
    His Titleist irons were not mizuno's stamped Titleist. Figured that rumor had finally died. They were Titleist irons forged by Hoffman in Memphis specifically for him.