Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Cohen to AD gaining some serious steam...

vCash

Cohen to AD gaining some serious steam...

I'm hearing that if Cohen is announced, which is looking very likely as of now, that we will be very impressed with the short list to replace Cohen as the Baseball Coach. Cohen is just enough of an ass hole to tell Gary Henderson sorry, but it's not gonna happen buddy. Does Cohen have enough balls to tell Mullen to 17 off? That's yet to be known.

vCash
    Not happening

vCash
    Please no...Let Cohen coach baseball.

We need an AD with AD experience. I'm tired of "experiments"

vCash
    Please God No.

vCash
    It's funny that pretty much every one here is in agreement that keenum will make the right decision about Mullen and even hiring a HC if necessary, but the same ones don't trust keenum's judgement about the AD job.

vCash
    If this happens, I am giving up on the university as a whole. To me, that's just nothing more than laziness.

vCash
    I might as well go buy a damn Bama shirt and be done with it.

vCash
    I guess I just don't understand the move from Cohen's perspective or from Keenum's. If it happens it seems like a really stupid move on paper unless he was actually far more involved in every day AD activities than I realized.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousDawg View Post
    I'm hearing that if Cohen is announced, which is looking very likely as of now, that we will be very impressed with the short list to replace Cohen as the Baseball Coach. Cohen is just enough of an ass hole to tell Gary Henderson sorry, but it's not gonna happen buddy. Does Cohen have enough balls to tell Mullen to 17 off? That's yet to be known.
    Maybe Steam from the Cohen for AD supporters ..

vCash
    Bonner just mentioned this on Finebaum
    my cowbell is louder than yours

Senior Member Lumpy Chucklelips's Avatar
    vCash
    Bonner just reported this same thing on Finebaum. I can't decide whether I like it or not. Part of me says no, part of me says maybe we'll get a better on field coach in baseball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Eric Nies Grind Time View Post
    I guess I just don't understand the move from Cohen's perspective or from Keenum's. If it happens it seems like a really stupid move on paper unless he was actually far more involved in every day AD activities than I realized.
    Over the last 4 months since he was given the associate AD title? That seems to be an incredibly short window to even get his feet wet.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RC3 View Post
    Bonner just mentioned this on Finebaum
    Whew! Good. Was worried this had real legs

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Over the last 4 months since he was given the associate AD title? That seems to be an incredibly short window to even get his feet wet.
    I didn't realize it had been such a short period of time. Sheesh...can anyone explain the thought process here? We hire a search firm and this is the shit we come up with?

vCash
    I know it's not a popular stance but I'm intrigued by this. He's extremely smart and HIGHLY competitive. I think we need someone hard nosed that is willing to support his coaches but also willing to have a come to Jesus meeting quick when things get off the rails. As long as he is willing to let his staff handle things he can not (marketing, etc) I'm willing to learn more.

vCash
    They better have someone like Bryan O'Connor lined up if they do something this crazy.

vCash
    I'm not saying it's a done deal, but I am saying that someone who knows more than any of us on here said that it's close to a done deal and that we may or may not already have someone line up to replace Cohen, who is a "very impressive name".

No one knows how this is going to play out but the people who are in the decision making process know what they are doing and have a great track record of hiring successful AD's. Cohen will not get the job unless the decision makers feel that he is more than capable. If we go grab a big name for baseball like I'm hearing, and the intense bastard tells Mullen to GTFO, I don't see how anyone can complain.

I do truly believe that if Cohen gets the AD job, he was the best option for not only the future of our athletic department but also for the future of Mississippi State. Just because someone is qualified as an athletic director, it does not necessarily mean that he understands and enjoys how the state of Mississippi works.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DeviousDawg View Post
    I do truly believe that if Cohen gets the AD job, he was the best option for not only the future of our athletic department but also for the future of Mississippi State. Just because someone is qualified as an athletic director, it does not necessarily mean that he understands and enjoys how the state of Mississippi works.
    I agree and it's what would stop me from scratching my head too hard. Still though, I can't understand and would really like to know why a) anyone from top to bottom thinks Cohen is more valuable to our university as athletic director than head baseball coach after the job he's done so far, and b) why Cohen, a career baseball player and coach, would rather sit behind a desk than coach baseball.

ETA: Would love to see Polk's reaction if Cohen became the head of our athletic department.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    I know it's not a popular stance but I'm intrigued by this. He's extremely smart and HIGHLY competitive. I think we need someone hard nosed that is willing to support his coaches but also willing to have a come to Jesus meeting quick when things get off the rails. As long as he is willing to let his staff handle things he can not (marketing, etc) I'm willing to learn more.
    This is exactly how I feel. Very fair and objective post. Stricklin was Mullen's bitch, which was a big part of why he left and why our football program is falling apart. I can tell you that Cohen will be no ones bitch. No one expects Cohen to be a fundraiser or marketing genius, but there are people for that, they are a dime a dozen and replaceable. However, there is only one alumni of Mississippi state that has played a sport for us and coached one of our teams to a SEC championship and a National championship appearance. Cohen is a winner and understands how sports at MSU not only work, but can be successful. If Cohen is exclusively in charge of the athletic side of things, then count me all in, pending a homerun hire for baseball coach like I am hearing.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    ETA: Would love to see Polk's reaction if Cohen became the head of our athletic department.