I've been thinking a bit on this, and thought I'd just share a few disjointed, rambling thoughts I've got on this subject. Maybe later I'll give it its proper due and make a more thorough, reasoned post...but for now, I just wanted to get this off my chest.

I would absolutely love to believe Dan could turn things around. Not because I give much of a shit about Dan anymore, but because I love Mississippi State, and I ache for us to succeed. If I could believe in Dan again...I could have so much more hope, as we could capitalize on Dak's success in the NFL, and could move forward with a coach who has proven he can work magic with QB's.

I'm trying really hard to believe...but so far I just can't seem to quite pull it off. People say "Hope springs eternal", but I can't seem to muster much right now...and I think this is why:

We gave Dan nearly everything he wanted. He got his first HC opportunity here at an SEC program. He got facilities upgraded, he got a $4 million salary, he got fanbase buy-in, etc. He got everything he asked for and more...then tried to capitalize on 2014, not by using that success to build on and raise MSU to the next level, but rather attempt to cash-in-his-chips while he was ahead and parlay it into his own goal of getting a blue-blood HC gig.

When that didn't happen, we were left with a wasted opportunity...a program that took major steps back because our leader had checked out mentally, losing his edge. And when that happens it permeates through the entire team.

Then Dan, upon not getting that premier UGA/Miami gig, tried to strong-arm our admin into a bigger, better compensation package. But our admin could see what was going on...could see the signs of trouble on the horizon...could see he wasted 2014's success, could see his constant flirting with other schools, so we not only didn't give him a raise, but refused to even extend him. We instead told him he'd better get his shit together.

That pissed Dan off, and Dan was already only half-heartedly here, having figured he'd be gone to greener pastures. But this "pissed off Dan" didn't channel his anger to rejuvenate his coaching. Instead he pouted and blamed our admin (like he blames anyone but himself for losses) for not "getting it" and not proving how much we value him. He decided to mostly wallow in self-pity instead of accepting responsibility for his mistakes and making adjustments.

In 2015 he coasted with Dak as QB, probably thinking so highly of himself that he figured he'd continue to win enough this year, putting in a half-ass effort, to keep us happy while he collected his big paycheck. But then S Bama happened...the shorts...the loss followed by "the smile/smirk". That loss and the reaction to it shocked Mullen, and no doubt caused him to think he was not just screwing us, but his own opportunities going forward. It's one thing to lose to Top 10 teams, but another thing entirely to lose to a basement Sunbelt team.

I think the heat from that temporarily snapped Dan out of his funk and he actually tried like hell to coach that week, albeit it with a team already severely damaged by his antics the past few years, and we came out all business vs SCar. But that kind of passion is often manufactured and temporary...not sustainable for someone who has already moved on in his mind. That made it easy for Dan to go back to uninspired "cruise control" after the SCar win.

The LSU close loss gave him another excuse...but not a good one as we all now know it was Les Miles who kept that game close...not Dan Mullen.

Then came the relatively close win over UMass. The excuse then was, "but this Umass team gave UF hell for a half". Since then UMass has lost to Tulane and to Old Dominion (by 20 points). Our 12 point win now looks about as good as it should.

Then came the first decent team we played that wasn't horribly crippled by its coaching staff. 35-0 at half to an Auburn team that coasted the 2nd half making the game look closer than it was.

This is who we are now. And what we are now is a direct reflection of our coach - a program that through relentless effort, inspired coaching & a few incredibly talented athletes thrived and improved until we got distracted, lost focus, lost inspiration, lost leadership, started reaping what we (Dan) sowed and became a loser once again...just a little over 1 season removed from a temporary #1 ranking. Arrogance, complacency , a stubborn refusal to accept personal responsibility for failings so adjustments could be made have all played a part in our rapid downfall.

Rant over.