Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kyle Wittingham..

Banned
    vCash

Kyle Wittingham..

Is NOT my first choice to replace Mullen if that need should arise. HOWEVER, the reason he would be high on my list is this.. In 11 seasons at Utah, he has been to 9 bowls, winning 8 of them. Also he has finished the season Ranked 6 times in those 11 years. Just a bit of info on why some of us like him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by preachermatt83 View Post
    Is NOT my first choice to replace Mullen if that need should arise. HOWEVER, the reason he would be high on my list is this.. In 11 seasons at Utah, he has been to 9 bowls, winning 8 of them. Also he has finished the season Ranked 6 times in those 11 years. Just a bit of info on why some of us like him.
    Look I like Whittingham and he is a good coach. But he has been ranked twice since joining the PAC 12 and gone to 3 bowls in his 5 years. His rankings were 21st and 17th. I just think at the end of the day they are very similar in terms of records when considering what each have accomplished in a Power 5 conference. And I kept coming back to this because so many have made a big deal of our season in Mullen's 8th year. Whittingham's 8th and 9th years he went 5-7 each year.

vCash
    Something else to consider how do you think a devout Mormon like whiittingham will recruit in the Deep South?

vCash
    Has that guy ever coached east of the Mississippi?

vCash
    I think Mullen is on par with him. I don't think he would be an upgrade but I don't think we would drop back either.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Has that guy ever coached east of the Mississippi?
    Nope spent his whole life in the west.

vCash
    There's a reason his nickname is Mormon Mullen

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    There would be no country club of Mullen, Hevesy, Knox, Sallach,and hate to say it but Gonzalez. Country club is what will never allow us to have really really nice things. Therefore Whittington greater than Mullen.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    There would be no country club of Mullen, Hevesy, Knox, Sallach,and hate to say it but Gonzalez. Country club is what will never allow us to have really really nice things. Therefore Whittington greater than Mullen.
    Serious question- do all coaches have their country club?

Croom had McCorvey.

I can't remember anyone that Jackie was totally attached to the point where he would compromise winning and performance possibly.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Croom had McCorvey.

I can't remember anyone that Jackie was totally attached to the point where he would compromise winning and performance possibly
    Lynn Amadee. Had to take up a collection (Jackie set amount) for Amadee before Jackie woud replace him. Just a little info for you. But...you are right. Most coaches have buddies on their staff or become buddies with them over time. I am a big big fan of the Kang, but he also was one hard headed SOB.
    "I'm sure the universe is full of intelligent life. It's just been too intelligent to come here." -- Arthur C. Clarke

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    Lynn Amadee. Had to take up a collection (Jackie set amount) for Amadee before Jackie woud replace him. Just a little info for you. But...you are right. Most coaches have buddies on their staff or become buddies with them over time. I am a big big fan of the Kang, but he also was one hard headed SOB.
    OC both here and A & M under Sherrill. Never stayed anywhere long though. Switched jobs every 2 years or so. Sherrill plucked him from HS coaching when we got him in 1995?1996?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by AROB44 View Post
    OC both here and A & M under Sherrill. Never stayed anywhere long though. Switched jobs every 2 years or so. Sherrill plucked him from HS coaching when we got him in 1995?1996?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    I think Mullen is on par with him. I don't think he would be an upgrade but I don't think we would drop back either.
    Completely agree. He would not be a Croom hire but he's not the next Saban either. He'd be a "safe" hire.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post

Croom had McCorvey.

I can't remember anyone that Jackie was totally attached to the point where he would compromise winning and performance possibly.
    Bobby Williams has followed Saban to 4 different spots and just got removed from on the field this year to special assistant to the HC or in other words, his final retirement pension plan.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Its also worth noting that Sherrill fired the current head coach of the Arizona Cardinals to hire Amadee from the high school ranks. What a mind numbingly terrible decision in hindsight. Country club indeed.

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    But talking about Saban he at least makes the move with guys that needs to be moved. No movement at all with dead weight here.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Some of you don't get it. It isn't the country club boys mentality that coaches us. Head coaches hire people they trust because their jobs rely on them.

It is the same way in the business world, if your a boss and you don't trust or can't rely on someone then it's a very high probability you get rid of them.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    But talking about Saban he at least makes the move with guys that needs to be moved. No movement at all with dead weight here.
    Eh. Williams was on the sidelines until this year, that's 9 years just at Bama.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    Some of you don't get it. It isn't the country club boys mentality that coaches us. Head coaches hire people they trust because their jobs rely on them.
    It is when the same mistakes keep popping up. One of our commits from Co-Lin stated he had no idea our OL coach was his lead recruiter. Hadnt met him yet

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    It is when the same mistakes keep popping up. One of our commits from Co-Lin stated he had no idea our OL coach was his lead recruiter. Hadnt met him yet
    Baker has been the lead at Co-Lin this year.