Thread: This Week's Bourbon Edition - Dusty Rye

vCash

This Week's Bourbon Edition - Dusty Rye

Since I started really getting into bourbon about five years ago, I have always been on the lookout for "dusties", which are old bottles not produced anymore collecting dust on a shelf. So far, I only have two Old Charter 10 year old pints to show for that.

This week, however, I landed not just any dusty, but three highly sought after dusty bottles?.the Jefferson's 10 Year Old Rye. I had to look these up, as I knew they have been out of production for a while: these are whiskey sourced from Canada, bottled in KY, and were last available sometime in 2013/14 before the 10 year old rye juice ran out.

I picked these up for $45 each, and when I was in the store I wast thinking I could get $100-125 for them via sell or trade on the secondary market?.and then I opened one.

This is a great bottle of whiskey. The first think I notice in a whiskey's body is how it feels on my tongue?creamy and viscous = a winner. This one has that in spades, and you can see it on the pour. At 92 proof, it won't burn you, has a light nose, and has a nice rye spice on the backside. This is a good whiskey, and makes me want to look into other Canadian ryes, specifically the Lot 40, which I hear good things about.

Pretty sure these will now live in my whiskey bunker as special occasion bottles now.

As I settle into watch the fighting Petrinos, I have another rye I traded for last week: Smooth Ambler Old Scout 7 Year Rye. Full disclosure - I am a SAOS fan boy. I like most everything they do, and think they are one of the best distilleries out there right now.

This 7 year rye has a great nose, like a heavy oaked bourbon?.I get good vanilla. This one is dark in the glass, and does not have the same silkly mouthfeel as the Jeffersons. Heavy rye spice on this one, and plenty of flavor. No burn at all for this 90 proofer.

I like to end these with recommendations, so here goes. If you ever see the Jefferson's 10 Year Rye, get them all. This is not a cocktail whiskey, but a neat sipper at this point.
    The SAOS rye is a definite buy in my book, especially if you are a rye fan or just want a good high end cocktail mixer. It is different than most other ryes out there, I think has more flavor and body, and would damn sure hold it's own in any cocktail.

Hail State!

Sapper

vCash
    Great stuff again. I'll be on the lookout for either. When it comes to rye, I've just started dabbling here and there. My cabinet currently does not have a rye. Finished off a bulliet rye about a month ago