Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Croom vs Mullen in recruiting

vCash
    Ok. I'll defer to y'alls knowledge. I thought I seemed to recall that there were a lot of recruits (not sure which ones tho) that were committed to Croom going in, cause I sorta was impressed with it a little. Like I said tho, I seem to recall that. Thought I was pretty sure Bumphis was a Croom verbal. I also was pleased that Dan seemed to take all or most of them.

Either way, that 09 class seems to be the best overall class Dan has had. A lot of studs in that class.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Would it be more fun to see more state players in the NFL while losing pretty much every game here or winning more here and seeing less in the NFL?
    I personally enjoy watching 160lb miniature backs run between the tackles. But that's just me. I'm kidding I agree with you. I think it's funny you defend Mullen like he's your mama and somebody just told a fat joke

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Croom commits

Sam Watts
    Cam Lawrence
    Tyler Russell
    Chris Smith
    Johnthan Banks
    Fletcher Cox
    Nickoe Whitley
    Josh Boyd
    Deontae Skinner
    William Shumpert
    Pernell McPhee
    Gabe Jackson
    Montrell Conner
    Heath Hutchins

Mullen Commits

Maurice Langston
    Chris White
    Sean Brauchle
    Leon Berry
    Johnathan McKenzie
    Chad Bumphis
    Dennis Thames
    Ladarius Perkins
    Billy Hamilton
    Ricco Sanders
    Mardrecus Hood
    Brandon Heavens
    Darius Slay

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    Croom commits

Sam Watts
    Cam Lawrence
    Tyler Russell
    Chris Smith
    Johnthan Banks
    Fletcher Cox
    Nickoe Whitley
    Josh Boyd
    Deontae Skinner
    William Shumpert
    Pernell McPhee
    Gabe Jackson
    Montrell Conner
    Heath Hutchins

Mullen Commits

Maurice Langston
    Chris White
    Sean Brauchle
    Leon Berry
    Johnathan McKenzie
    Chad Bumphis
    Dennis Thames
    Ladarius Perkins
    Billy Hamilton
    Ricco Sanders
    Mardrecus Hood
    Brandon Heavens
    Darius Slay
    Thanks Dan! You didn't do to shabby that year. Can you pick the pace back up again? ******

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I would be all for firing Hev & hiring Croom as OL coach. Can we make that happen?
    I wouldn't mind hiring the guy that was our OL coach under croom. I can't remember his name but he was solid. I think he was recently at Auburn.

We were always able to have atleast a symblance of a running game under croom even though the opposing team knew there was no threat of a pass being completed. I just want Hev gone, dear Jesus he's aweful

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenheadDawg View Post
    I personally enjoy watching 160lb miniature backs run between the tackles. But that's just me. I'm kidding I agree with you. I think it's funny you defend Mullen like he's your mama and somebody just told a fat joke
    The price I pay to be Mullen's #1 fan**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    How many of those Croom recruits make it to the NFL without Dan's development, proper usage, and a team that was actually competitive enough to even watch for scouts to look for talent?

Not understanding the point of the thread.
    That's 2 days in a row I agree with something you posted. WOW!

vCash
    Mullen Commits

Billy Hamilton

Add Dan's MLB players to the list too, if Croom get credit for developing the 2009 class.****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    You mentioned Chaney and I can't really give Croom much credit for him. Ritch sent him to us simply because we could get him qualified and they couldn't and Crooms wasn't a threat to him.
    FTFY. I'll always remember Chaney making a comment that was something along the lines of "It's nice to have a real coach for once." May have been a tweet, can't remember. Thought it was telling that a hard worker like Chaney was willing to call out the previous coaching staff like that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sandawg View Post
    That's 2 days in a row I agree with something you posted. WOW!
    Am I usually that bad? Ha

vCash
    Croom was the better recruiter.
    Dan is the better developer.
    Peeping Croom always makes me laugh, northerner attitude Dan usually makes me cringe.
    But Dan will always win more games.
    #hailstate!

vCash
    Compare the class rankings. Mullen is better.

vCash
    End of the day evaluation: Croom SUCKED! Mullen doesn't.

Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Now I'm not a huge Croom fan. And he certainly couldn't run an offense or recruit a good QB. But I was curious about something so I went and did a little research. Caveat - I give Croom credit for the 2009 class since it was almost entirely full of verbal commitments and Dan honored all of them I believe.

Original Croom recruits currently in NFL:
    Banks
    Cox
    G. Jackson
    Love
    McPhee
    Slay (originally signed in 2009)
    Wright

Note: Sherrod was a Croom recruit also. Broke his leg and is no longer in league.

Mullen recruits in NFL:
    Johnson
    Jones
    McKinney
    Prescott
    Redmond
    Smith

Croom 7 in 4 years. Mullen 6 in 6 years.

Croom was starting to recruit pretty well. Wasn't a HC tho IMO. And I will say all of Croom's recruits except Love played their entire career under Dan.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sorrydog View Post
    Croom was the better recruiter.
    Dan is the better developer.
    Peeping Croom always makes me laugh, northerner attitude Dan usually makes me cringe.
    But Dan will always win more games.
    #hailstate!
    How can you justify that statement? His best class Dan got half of the players. And don't forget that was the year that Patterson flipped to UNM. While it didn't mean anything in the end, there were many many losing their collective minds that Croom lost him. And I suspect an exhaustive internet message board search during those days would not find the words "Croom, good, recruiter" strung together in a post as a positive for his abilites.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Slay was not a commit to Croom. He was a Mullen recruit and we got him right before signing day. Like with Perkins. Also, how much credit to you give Mullen for keeping those guys committed and what are the number of total players who have been drafted or spent time on an active roster between the two. Pretty sure Mullen has guys not on that list who got NFL shots. Ballard and JRob would be two did this list a year ago.
    Thank you. Neither was McPhee, he committed in January.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by smootness View Post
    Thank you. Neither was McPhee, he committed in January.
    McPhee actually committed to Croom in July. He de-committed after Croom was fired. Took OV to Michigan, UGA, & Florida but ended sticking with MSU & signed on New Year's.

Archimedes
    vCash
    Has this board really come to point of comparing croom to Mullen? In a motified AI quote really croom vs Mullen I mean we are talking about croom vs Mullen.

Some of you need some help

vCash
    The main thing holding Dan back is his asshole buddy-HEV. The question should be whose asshole Buddy was worse

mccorvey or Hev.

I think it is a toss up

vCash
    The real ****ing problem with Croom vs. Mullen is this:

Croom had better offensive linemen. Mullen's best running games had offensive linemen that Hevesy didn't really recruit. That is PATHETIC. Until Hevesy is gone, and we actually sign top offensive linemen, we AREN'T GOING TO WIN MANY SEC FOOTBALL GAMES. PERIOD. I still want Knox gone because he sucks as a recruiter and he doesn't do a good job of inserting RBs into the game, but hey, if we had a better oline, then that doesn't stick out as much. #firehev

**tcdog70 - I posted right when you did - you nailed it as well.***

vCash
    McPhee actually committed to Croom in July. He de-committed after Croom was fired. Took OV to Michigan, UGA, & Florida but ended sticking with MSU & signed on New Year's.
    Ah yes, you're right.

I'll consider that mostly a Croom recruit then, but Mullen should still get some credit there.