Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Croom vs Mullen in recruiting

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BHildreth3 View Post
    The real ****ing problem with Croom vs. Mullen is this:

Croom had better offensive linemen. Mullen's best running games had offensive linemen that Hevesy didn't really recruit. That is PATHETIC. Until Hevesy is gone, and we actually sign top offensive linemen, we AREN'T GOING TO WIN MANY SEC FOOTBALL GAMES. PERIOD. I still want Knox gone because he sucks as a recruiter and he doesn't do a good job of inserting RBs into the game, but hey, if we had a better oline, then that doesn't stick out as much. #firehev

**tcdog70 - I posted right when you did - you nailed it as well.***
    That's not true. 2014 is the only year we rushed for over 3,000 yards and was our highest yard per carry year. 2013 was our 3rd highest rushing yard per carry year. I'm sure you are comparing his first couple of years in which 67% of our offense was running plays. 2014 57.8% of our plays were running plays.

vCash
    Mullen>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>Croom

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Can you imagine how bad Billy Hamilton would have been beaten to shit running between the tackles in the hopes he would break just one?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by tcdog70 View Post
    The main thing holding Dan back is his asshole buddy-HEV. The question should be whose asshole Buddy was worse

mccorvey or Hev.

I think it is a toss up
    I don't think McCorvey was holding Croom back. If anything, Croom was holding McCorvey back. Don't think McCOrvey was a west coast offense guy.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by I seen it dawg View Post
    Can you imagine how bad Billy Hamilton would have been beaten to shit running between the tackles in the hopes he would break just one?
    Pretty sure he was recruited as a WR with a possibility of CB. If he ever really played football long. He was planning on play both sports.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    That's not true. 2014 is the only year we rushed for over 3,000 yards and was our highest yard per carry year. 2013 was our 3rd highest rushing yard per carry year. I'm sure you are comparing his first couple of years in which 67% of our offense was running plays. 2014 57.8% of our plays were running plays.
    So the last 2 years what have we done relative to run/pass ratio?

Denver Airport Director
    vCash
    Pretty sure he was recruited as a WR with a possibility of CB. If he ever really played football long. He was planning on play both sports.
    Shiiiitttttt he was gonna be a tailback and the precursor to Holloway. Mullen had to be salivating over it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    So the last 2 years what have we done relative to run/pass ratio?
    Last year was 46/54 run to pass, this year so far 54/46 run to pass

vCash
    Last year was 46/54 run to pass, this year so far 54/46 run to pass
    Yardages?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    Yardages?
    2014 5.02 yards per carry 3rd in the league, 2015 3.73 11th in the league, so far this year 4.49 4th in the league. And this is for conference only games. For reference 2010 we were 3.96 yards per carry in conference games 6th in the league. We were 1st in 2009 but with 4.79 ypc avg which is lower than 2014.

vCash
    2014 5.02 yards per carry 3rd in the league, 2015 3.73 11th in the league, so far this year 4.49 4th in the league. And this is for conference only games. For reference 2010 we were 3.96 yards per carry in conference games 6th in the league. We were 1st in 2009 but with 4.79 ypc avg which is lower than 2014.
    That 2009 stat is interesting. 2008 we rushed for 1,227 total yards at 3.07 ypc. And a unreal 636 yards at 2.53 ypc in SEC games. All ranked as 11th in the league. With virtually the same line and Boobie.

vCash
    Thanks.

vCash
    I hate it when facts ass up a good argument. W that said, hev has been bad recruiting linemen, as a whole. That's pretty obvious to anyone w a pair of eyes. I think he can coach...:recruiting or getting people who want to play for his brashness, um, has been difficult to say the least.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    I hate it when facts ass up a good argument. W that said, hev has been bad recruiting linemen, as a whole. That's pretty obvious to anyone w a pair of eyes. I think he can coach...:recruiting or getting people who want to play for his brashness, um, has been difficult to say the least.
    I don't disagree with that at all. Although he has hit on a big player for us at times and the ones who do like him, really like him. But the other 90% of the time boy it's a struggle. And they have tried to cover and adjust to soften his negative effect.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Homedawg View Post
    Definitely true. If you put together a theoretical two deep of the best OL players of the entire 8 year Mullen era, it would look like this:

LT - Sherrod, Clausell
    LG - Jackson, Beckwith
    C - Day, Clayborn
    RG - Saulsberry, T. Smith
    RT - Lawrence, Siddoway

Count them up, and that is 5 Croom recruits and 5 Mullen recruits. Mullen has been working with a roster of 100% his own recruits on the OL for about 5 of the 8 years he has been here. For 2 of the 8 years it was probably a 50 / 50 split of Mullen / Croom recruits, then one year (2009) was pretty much exclusively Croom recruits on the OL. That means about 75 - 80% of the OL that have suited up under Mullen were his and Hev's guys. Yet still 50% of the best OL we've had while he's here have been Croom guys. That is absolutely pathetic. Mullen's staff have been great evaluators of talent, and generally better recruiters than Croom, but Croom / Grimes were way better on getting OL that were at least decent. It isn't even close.
    Last edited by HSVDawg; 09-28-2016 at 08:46 PM.

vCash
    Here's the bottom line on the two- neither Croom nor Dan are/were stellar recruiters.

vCash
    This whole thread is stupid. Who cares if croom did recruit better if he couldn't coach? Would anybody want croom over Mullen? No.

Thats like preferring the sex life of a virgin with a 10 inch penis over that of a guy who has sex every day with a 5 inch penis.