Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Croom vs Mullen in recruiting

vCash

Croom vs Mullen in recruiting

Now I'm not a huge Croom fan. And he certainly couldn't run an offense or recruit a good QB. But I was curious about something so I went and did a little research. Caveat - I give Croom credit for the 2009 class since it was almost entirely full of verbal commitments and Dan honored all of them I believe.

Original Croom recruits currently in NFL:
    Banks
    Cox
    G. Jackson
    Love
    McPhee
    Slay (originally signed in 2009)
    Wright

Note: Sherrod was a Croom recruit also. Broke his leg and is no longer in league.

Mullen recruits in NFL:
    Johnson
    Jones
    McKinney
    Prescott
    Redmond
    Smith

Croom 7 in 4 years. Mullen 6 in 6 years.

Croom was starting to recruit pretty well. Wasn't a HC tho IMO. And I will say all of Croom's recruits except Love played their entire career under Dan.

vCash
    Croom -- 21-38
    Mullen -- 57-37

What's the point of this thread? Jeez

vCash
    People are talking about putting folks into the league. And we're also talking about recruiting. Dan has been here 6 full years recruiting. I was just curious myself.

vCash
    How many of those Croom recruits make it to the NFL without Dan's development, proper usage, and a team that was actually competitive enough to even watch for scouts to look for talent?

Not understanding the point of the thread.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawgday166 View Post
    People are talking about putting folks into the league. And we're also talking about recruiting. Dan has been here 6 full years recruiting. I was just curious myself.
    Would it be more fun to see more state players in the NFL while losing pretty much every game here or winning more here and seeing less in the NFL?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    How many of those Croom recruits make it to the NFL without Dan's development, proper usage, and a team that was actually competitive enough to even watch for scouts to look for talent?

Not understanding the point of the thread.
    That could very well be true. Especially the D backfield positions. I think Croom was pretty decent with O and D lines tho.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Croom -- 21-38
    Mullen -- 57-37

You must spread some reputation..........

vCash
    Croom -- 21-38
    Mullen -- 57-37

+1

Stars matter****** or How many are in the NFL matter***** and winning isn't in the big picture*****

vCash
    Croom -- 21-38
    Mullen -- 57-37

[Drops mic]

vCash
    Would it be more fun to see more state players in the NFL while losing pretty much every game here or winning more here and seeing less in the NFL?
    I'd like to win games here obviously. But what is holding us back from going even further IMO is the O-line and recruiting overall. Plus Dan is good for 1 to 2 losses a year due to bad clock management.

vCash
    I'd like to win games here obviously. But what is holding us back from going even further IMO is the O-line and recruiting overall. Plus Dan is good for 1 to 2 losses a year due to bad clock management.
    I would be all for firing Hev & hiring Croom as OL coach. Can we make that happen?

Banned
    vCash
    Now I'm not a huge Croom fan. And he certainly couldn't run an offense or recruit a good QB. But I was curious about something so I went and did a little research. Caveat - I give Croom credit for the 2009 class since it was almost entirely full of verbal commitments and Dan honored all of them I believe.

Banks
    Cox
    G. Jackson
    Love
    McPhee
    Wright

Note: Sherrod was a Croom recruit also. Broke his leg and is no longer in league.

Mullen recruits in NFL:
    Johnson
    Jones
    McKinney
    Prescott
    Redmond
    Smith

Croom was starting to recruit pretty well. Wasn't a HC tho IMO. And I will say all of Croom's recruits except Love played their entire career under Dan.
    There are some serious flaws in your methodology. For starters, you crediting Croom with the 09 class seriously swings the argument in his favor. 5 out of the 6 guys you have under his talley were from that 09 class alone that Mulen eventually signed. Secondly, this is a list of only current NFL players. You are leaving out a lot of guys from both categories that made it but are no longer there (Sherrod, Dixon, JRob, Ballard, Josh Boyd?, Denico Autry? Jamar Chaney, probably several others). Those guys still count. Also, I don't see Chris White listed and I'm pretty sure he is still in the league. But if not, add him to the list above. Long story short, you need to reevaluate your selection criteria.

Truth be told, I think Croom had started to figure the recruiting thing out finally around 2008. Unfortunately it was too little, too late. I think on the whole, Mullen has been a better recruiter / evlauator of talent, but Croom did a way better job on the OL and at RB.

vCash

Banks
    Cox
    G. Jackson
    Love
    McPhee
    Wright

Mullen recruits in NFL:
    Johnson
    Jones
    McKinney
    Prescott
    Redmond
    Smith

Slay was not a commit to Croom. He was a Mullen recruit and we got him right before signing day. Like with Perkins. Also, how much credit to you give Mullen for keeping those guys committed and what are the number of total players who have been drafted or spent time on an active roster between the two. Pretty sure Mullen has guys not on that list who got NFL shots. Ballard and JRob would be two did this list a year ago.

vCash
    I would be all for firing Hev & hiring Croom as OL coach. Can we make that happen?
    I thought the exact same thought bout 10-15 minutes ago but was away from my computer.

vCash
    That'd be worth it just for the message board response.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    There are some serious flaws in your methodology. For starters, you crediting Croom with the 09 class seriously swings the argument in his favor. 5 out of the 6 guys you have under his talley were from that 09 class alone that Mulen eventually signed. Secondly, this is a list of only current NFL players. You are leaving out a lot of guys from both categories that made it but are no longer there (Sherrod, Dixon, JRob, Ballard, Josh Boyd?, Denico Autry? Jamar Chaney, probably several others). Those guys still count. Also, I don't see Chris White listed and I'm pretty sure he is still in the league. But if not, add him to the list above. Long story short, you need to reevaluate your selection criteria.

Truth be told, I think Croom had started to figure the recruiting thing out finally around 2008. Unfortunately it was too little, too late. I think on the whole, Mullen has been a better recruiter / evlauator of talent, but Croom did a way better job on the OL and at RB.
    You mentioned Chaney and I can't really give Croom much credit for him. Ritch sent him to us simply because we could get him qualified and they couldn't.

vCash
    Ok. I know Mullen signed the 09 class but it was pretty sewed up at the time. Slay was an original 09 signee and went Juco. I guess my point could be (although it wasn't originally): The 10 season was all Croom's recruits. Maybe we should have given Croom more time based on the arguments for Mullen *****

In Croom's defense a little and please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure someone will) ... Didn't the gun incident involving starting players that got kicked off the team happen just before the 08 season started?

vCash
    Ok. I know Mullen signed the 09 class but it was pretty sewed up at the time. Slay was an original 09 signee and went Juco. I guess my point could be (although it wasn't originally): The 10 season was all Croom's recruits. Maybe we should have given Croom more time based on the arguments for Mullen *****

In Croom's defense a little and please correct me if I'm wrong (I'm sure someone will) ... Didn't the gun incident involving starting players that got kicked off the team happen just before the 08 season started?
    But Slay wasn't on Crooms radar at all and not all of those 2009 commitments where committed by Croom. Slay was strictly a Mullen recruit and commitment. Like Perkins, Bumphis, Berry, Chris White, Heavens who was a flip from Auburn, Perkins, all of these guys from 2009 committed to us AFTER Mullen was hired. You are just looking at those signings but are not checking to see WHEN they committed and to which coaching staff. Slay didn't commit or even get recruited by us until Mullen got here.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 09-28-2016 at 12:44 PM.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash

Guys like McPhee & Jackson were only committed a couple months longer to Croom than they were to Mullen. Croom had 0 to do with Slay. Probably had no clue who he was that was all Mullen. It's just hard for me to give much credit to Croom for those guys being in the NFL when he didn't even so much have a practice with them. Also Mullen committed & signed 13 of the 27 guys in the 2009 class so it's also incorrect to say the class was pretty sewn up.

vCash
    Trash.