Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Frustrating

vCash

Frustrating

After having a few days to calm down I think I have figured out what is so frustrating about Dan.

Before I reveal that let me say this, I think everyone agrees we are not a national powerhouse and our opportunities for huge success doesn't come around very often. Now I also believe most of us want to do whatever we can to help, whether it be donations or just showing up and making noise at every game. Those two things along with any other help we can give our university is what will push us forward and allow us to see more and bigger success.

Now what frustrates me is the 2014 season. That was an unbelievable season! But looking back that season was our shot to make history. We should have been in the playoffs, no ifs and or buts about it. Think about it, even the most optimistic fans know it will be awhile before we are ever in that situation again, and I am not an ole poor Mississippi State fan. I know we can be better than what we are now.

That was our shot and we blew it TWICE, against Bama and Ole Miss. When we made the national championship in baseball I was unable to go, but I knew we would be back again someday. There is no way I would have missed us playing in the playoffs in 2014 though.

vCash
    Agreed. The 2014 egg bowl should have been a warning sign to everyone. But the ''we were number 1'' Mullenites made it seem a lot less worse. Even ignoring us looking like hot garbage vs GA Tech in the bowl game. Mullen checked out after losing to Bama and hes looked like he cared 1 time since and that was the SC game this year

vCash
    Well, it's not JUST 2014 in and of itself. If we had come back the next year and gone to the Sugar Bowl that would have rectified any ill will I have towards Dan. Instead we lost a game to LSU at home because of clock mismanagement, and while I can tolerate the losses to A&M on the road and to Alabama at home coming out unprepared and uninterested in the Egg Bowl in 2015 was pretty close to unforgiveable.

It's also frustrating to come that close and to see Holloway up the middle ad nauseum in 2015 when Williams and Lee both had a higher YPC, an offensive line that is a complete mess and the coach of that unit being held almost completely unaccountable not to mention his toxic recruiting, seeing Zach Jackson start almost every game, not seeing Peters and McLaurin worked in to the safety rotation more to add athleticism and more play making ability, and not seeing Dear get more touches. All of those things loom even larger when you don't accomplish your goals. And then he finishes with a clunker of a recruiting class and we find out that we are way under the 85 scholarship limit which is gross roster mismanagement.

I feel like a lot of coaches would have done some of the things that I mentioned above better and when you are Mississippi State you can't afford to have a country club atmosphere with assistants, mismanage the roster, and not find ways to use the most talented players and maximize your results.

No matter how you feel about Dan, I would like to see what we could do with someone that can recruit a little bit better and put our players in a better position to succeed and see what we can become from that. If we are a 6-6 floor 10-2 ceiling team without maximizing our roster, our staff and our recruiting, I think that's pretty exciting in many ways about what we could potentially be. I don't think we have really ever had a coach that has done all of those things in my fan lifetime- Dan came pretty close 2009-2011 and then things seemed to change for whatever reason.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GTHOM View Post
    Agreed. The 2014 egg bowl should have been a warning sign to everyone. But the ''we were number 1'' Mullenites made it seem a lot less worse. Even ignoring us looking like hot garbage vs GA Tech in the bowl game. Mullen checked out after losing to Bama and hes looked like he cared 1 time since and that was the SC game this year
    Don't forget Mullen was the coach who got us to number 1 and no other coach at MSU has ever done that in football. If you are going to blame him for not getting into the play off you should give him credit for getting us to number 1 in the first place. Also don't forget those were his players he recruited and coached up to get to number 1. It is almost impossible to do that at Miss State unless we take the Ole Miss approach. Ole Miss who bought and paid for their team and have not gotten to number 1. Two years from now we will be going bowling and they will be sitting at home.

In 2013 we heard all the same bitching Over and over and over again. Kind of like every 106 FM radio channel in the nation playing a Boston song every hour on the hour. It gets old. Same song, same dance and all it does is bring us and the school down . Appreciate what we have because these have been the best eight year of Miss State football ever. Trust me I have seen some pretty shitty teams go onto the field.

One more thing it wasn't but a few year ago we had a Ole Miss coach printing off post from message boards and showing them to recruits parents.

So when you post remember others are watching and reading.

Remember life is good and ease up a little.
    Last edited by Jack Lambert; 09-27-2016 at 02:59 AM.

vCash
    I do give credit to Mullen for getting us to #1. And the whole "we haven't done anything like that before" argument is exactly my point. We wasted our one opportunity to make the playoffs and possibly play for a national championship.

I believe Dan is a very good coach if he can make the adjustments that need to be made. It's just frustrating when he preached about us competing for championships, and then he loses focus when we were so close.

vCash
    I believe we lost 3 of the last 4 games in 2014.

vCash
    And in 2012 we lost 4 of last 5 after starting 7 - 0. Got destroyed by Bammer and pretty much everyone else including OM the rest of the way. Didn't show up to play any of those games except Ark (and they had an interim HC from the Petrino incident).

vCash
    I will say our 2012 team was not very good. The sec, save a couple of teams, was really down. Most people knew that our 7-0 start was because of poor competition.

vCash
    I knew it too. That's why when Banks made his social media video and there was sooo much hype before Bama game I was bothered some. Any half-way smart coach would've been low-keyed going into that game. Hopefully the Elephant will be dozing some when you play him.

ETA: The shouting to the world that we're 7-0 or #1 going into a big game is probably Mullen wanting to get himself noticed. Just MHO.

ETAA: And 2012 was Freeze's 1st year. We were better than OM that year too.
    Last edited by dawgday166; 09-27-2016 at 09:15 AM.

vCash
    Frustrating thing for me is I'm feeling very few in our athletic department are truly invested in building something long term AT MSU. All Mullen did after going to #1 was try to use that as a stepping stone to getting another job and getting that much lazier on the recruiting trail. Then you have our esteemed athletic director bail to what Mullen would call a "lateral" move (as in Geoff Collins) to go take the same job at another conference school. About the only hope I have of anyone looking to invest at MSU is possibly Howland just because at his age MAYBE he is not looking to move on at the first sign of success, but who knows. Sad to think we are school with a nearly 100 million dollar athletic budget but are apparently just good for training coaches and ADs for the same jobs at other D1 schools. Heck, even Cohen appears to be looking to get out of coaching to go into administration. I guess I do feel that after the Stricklin defection nobody at MSU should expect Mullen to do anything but whore himself out to other schools with bigger names every year. If our MSU alumnus AD can't see any need to be here long term then why should anyone else be expected to? Heck, several other ADs wouldn't leave their schools for FL (including Byrne even though he could have doubled his salary) but ours did. Of course by taking his foot off the gas after getting to #1 Mullen is likely losing any big time opportunities he would have had anyway.

Founder of Summer's Eve
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Todd4State View Post
    Well, it's not JUST 2014 in and of itself. If we had come back the next year and gone to the Sugar Bowl that would have rectified any ill will I have towards Dan. Instead we lost a game to LSU at home because of clock mismanagement, and while I can tolerate the losses to A&M on the road and to Alabama at home coming out unprepared and uninterested in the Egg Bowl in 2015 was pretty close to unforgiveable.

It's also frustrating to come that close and to see Holloway up the middle ad nauseum in 2015 when Williams and Lee both had a higher YPC, an offensive line that is a complete mess and the coach of that unit being held almost completely unaccountable not to mention his toxic recruiting, seeing Zach Jackson start almost every game, not seeing Peters and McLaurin worked in to the safety rotation more to add athleticism and more play making ability, and not seeing Dear get more touches. All of those things loom even larger when you don't accomplish your goals. And then he finishes with a clunker of a recruiting class and we find out that we are way under the 85 scholarship limit which is gross roster mismanagement.

I feel like a lot of coaches would have done some of the things that I mentioned above better and when you are Mississippi State you can't afford to have a country club atmosphere with assistants, mismanage the roster, and not find ways to use the most talented players and maximize your results.

No matter how you feel about Dan, I would like to see what we could do with someone that can recruit a little bit better and put our players in a better position to succeed and see what we can become from that. If we are a 6-6 floor 10-2 ceiling team without maximizing our roster, our staff and our recruiting, I think that's pretty exciting in many ways about what we could potentially be. I don't think we have really ever had a coach that has done all of those things in my fan lifetime- Dan came pretty close 2009-2011 and then things seemed to change for whatever reason.
    Agree whole heartedly. Dans lack of fire and passion for the last 4-5 seasons has been frustrating. He got that fat pay day and mailed it in. Add in his "it takes 2-3 years to get a player ready to play college football" attitude with every player from -2 to 5 stars has not only hurt the on field production, but also negatively impacted recruiting. Why would top guys want to come here if they're going to be given the Chris jones treatment. The Williams, Lee, Gibson, Mixon treatment? The JRob and Dak treatment. And on and on.

vCash
    The only way to elevate the program is recruiting. You can't miss on the Lashley's and the AJ Browns. You just can't.

vCash
    Frustrating? Sure.

But I will never complain about a 9+ win season at MSU until after we start winning conference and national titles on a regular basis. I wish we'd won it all too, or at least made the playoffs, but 2014 was a banner season by any measure for our school. Y'all need to understand that.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EdDawg View Post
    After having a few days to calm down I think I have figured out what is so frustrating about Dan.

Before I reveal that let me say this, I think everyone agrees we are not a national powerhouse and our opportunities for huge success doesn't come around very often. Now I also believe most of us want to do whatever we can to help, whether it be donations or just showing up and making noise at every game. Those two things along with any other help we can give our university is what will push us forward and allow us to see more and bigger success.

Now what frustrates me is the 2014 season. That was an unbelievable season! But looking back that season was our shot to make history. We should have been in the playoffs, no ifs and or buts about it. Think about it, even the most optimistic fans know it will be awhile before we are ever in that situation again, and I am not an ole poor Mississippi State fan. I know we can be better than what we are now.

That was our shot and we blew it TWICE, against Bama and Ole Miss. When we made the national championship in baseball I was unable to go, but I knew we would be back again someday. There is no way I would have missed us playing in the playoffs in 2014 though.
    Look at the end of season rankings. That reveals we rose to #1 by beating highly overrated teams. When we finally played good teams, we got our ass handed to us. It was not "our shot".

I really don't know why our fans can't grasp this. Emotional attachment to being #1 I guess. But in hindsight we were clearly overrated.

vCash
    [QUOTE=BoomBoom;621106]Look at the end of season rankings. That reveals we rose to #1 by beating highly overrated teams. When we finally played good teams, we got our ass handed to us. It was not "our shot".

I really don't know why our fans can't grasp this. Emotional attachment to being #1 I guess. But in hindsight we were clearly o
    The teams we beat were overrated but we also peaked early. We struggled down the stretch against bad teams and sucked against Bama and UNM.

vCash
    We played one great team, Bama, and we started with very conservative play calling. We scored a touchdown late to make it a one score game, but if we play that game loose then we are competitive throughout that game. Our signature wins weren't as big as they were when we achieved them, but we were a playoff caliber team that year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by QuadrupleOption View Post
    Frustrating? Sure.

But I will never complain about a 9+ win season at MSU until after we start winning conference and national titles on a regular basis. I wish we'd won it all too, or at least made the playoffs, but 2014 was a banner season by any measure for our school. Y'all need to understand that.
    It was an amazing season. I am not saying it wasn't, but if you were told at the beginning of the season we should be 1 or the 4 teams in the playoffs but we lose 3 games. That wouldn't be a little frustrating knowing that that could be our only shot for a long time?

To me the fans that believe we will never be more than a mid level P5 team would be the ones who would be more frustrated. If someone really believes that we are a mid level team than it should frustrate you that we squandered our chances in 2014. Not only coming out conservative against Bama, but to turn around and not even give the committee a chance to vote us in against ole miss.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Don't forget Mullen was the coach who got us to number 1 and no other coach at MSU has ever done that in football. If you are going to blame him for not getting into the play off you should give him credit for getting us to number 1 in the first place. Also don't forget those were his players he recruited and coached up to get to number 1. It is almost impossible to do that at Miss State unless we take the Ole Miss approach. Ole Miss who bought and paid for their team and have not gotten to number 1. Two years from now we will be going bowling and they will be sitting at home.

In 2013 we heard all the same bitching Over and over and over again. Kind of like every 106 FM radio channel in the nation playing a Boston song every hour on the hour. It gets old. Same song, same dance and all it does is bring us and the school down . Appreciate what we have because these have been the best eight year of Miss State football ever. Trust me I have seen some pretty shitty teams go onto the field.

One more thing it wasn't but a few year ago we had a Ole Miss coach printing off post from message boards and showing them to recruits parents.

So when you post remember others are watching and reading.

Remember life is good and ease up a little.
    What did being number 1 in the nation do for us?? How did we capitalize on such a great achievement?? We bombed and looked totally unprepared and flat against our biggest rival not only that same season but the next year as well in Daks last home game. Being number 1 was cool and all but what did it really mean? Not much

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BoomBoom View Post
    Look at the end of season rankings. That reveals we rose to #1 by beating highly overrated teams. When we finally played good teams, we got our ass handed to us. It was not "our shot".

I really don't know why our fans can't grasp this. Emotional attachment to being #1 I guess. But in hindsight we were clearly overrated.
    We weren't overrated, our intensity dropped after playing 3 straight huge games and winning all 3. Everyone should have seen us being flat vs UK and the others coming. Dan let us down after we lost to bama, which btw was partly his fault for coaching with no nuts and wide eyes in big games like he always does. His ''well we wouldnt have made the playoff anyway'' quote after losing the egg bowl still pisses me off

vCash
    Mullen is a good coach when he tries.