Thread: Probation Impacts on 2016 Team

vCash

Probation Impacts on 2016 Team

I am going to admit first that while I typically follow the MSU recruits who come from GA, I know little about recruiting and honestly don't follow it that closely. That being said, I do read most of the threads on this board. Reading thru Todd's thread on learning from LSU and the debate about recruiting classes and our history a question popped up that I thought needed a separate discussion.

In June 2013, we went on probation. While light, it included reduction of two scholarships in 2012-13 and 2013-14; fewer official visits by recruits in 2012-13 and 2013-14; fewer off-campus recruiting opportunities by coaches in 2012-13; and no complimentary admissions for recruits during the Bulldogs' first two conference home games in 2013. It also was used heavily against us on the recruiting trail.

The 2012 class (according to Coach's chart in Todd's thread) was #22 - our highest under Mullen to that point. 2013 was#25, and 2014 was #35. The players from '13 & '14 - recruited under probation are now SR/RJR or JR/RSo. 2015 - after our #1 run, saw recruiting jump back to #18. Those players are now So/RFr.

So, my question is, are we seeing the impacts of that probation this year? Isn't this part of why we are under the 85 scholarship limit currently? It just seems to me that no one has mentioned this in all of the discussion about this season.
    Last edited by BrunswickDawg; 09-26-2016 at 08:03 AM.

Archimedes
    vCash
    So what your saying is we can blame hack for this year?***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    Say what you want about hack, but pretty much everyone here raises hell about recruiting while doing nothing to help it... hack delivered a 4*. Good job, hack... now get better at the hiding it part now haha

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Say what you want about hack, but pretty much everyone here raises hell about recruiting while doing nothing to help it... hack delivered a 4*. Good job, hack... now get better at the hiding it part now haha
    My intent is not to blame anyone. Everyone knows that whole situation was hung on us by OM and Devinner. But, probation, as intended, is supposed to have an impact. Are we seeing that?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    My intent is not to blame anyone. Everyone knows that whole situation was hung on us by OM and Devinner. But, probation, as intended, is supposed to have an impact. Are we seeing that?
    I know you weren't. Sorry

Archimedes
    vCash
    I was being sarcastic hence the *****

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    The NCAA investigation was not focused on just one player. They just made it stick somehow with one player. And they even got most of that incorrect.

I'd say the delays in Ole Miss's probation has hurt us much, much worse than our own. Recruiting clean while they do what they want is a losing battle. That's the major reason why we're less talented. Bama, LSU, Auburn, and maybe some others have won big while on probation. I think LSU and Bama were actually on probation during national championship seasons.

The scholarship numbers don't hurt at all IMO. We still gave walk ons scholarships during probation. The official visit reduction and lack of coaching visits is what hurt. Thankfully it wasn't that severe, but any reduction there is a negative.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Political Hack View Post
    The NCAA investigation was not focused on just one player. They just made it stick somehow with one player. And they even got most of that incorrect.

I'd say the delays in Ole Miss's probation has hurt us much, much worse than our own. Recruiting clean while they do what they want is a losing battle. That's the major reason why we're less talented. Bama, LSU, Auburn, and maybe some others have won big while on probation. I think LSU and Bama were actually on probation during national championship seasons.

The scholarship numbers don't hurt at all IMO. We still gave walk ons scholarships during probation. The official visit reduction and lack of coaching visits is what hurt. Thankfully it wasn't that severe, but any reduction there is a negative.
    To add....
    We actually hurt ourself just as bad. Taking away Will's redshirt is a big deal now. Yes he would have prob turned pro as a rd shirt JR anyway , but after the injury he suffered there is a very good chance he comes back this year to improve his draft status.. At least the option could have been there for him..
    Last edited by mic; 09-26-2016 at 09:56 AM.