Thread: Observations of Upper vs Lower deck seating

vCash

Observations of Upper vs Lower deck seating

This weekend I sat on about the 45 yardline, row 50 on the lower deck east side, which was by far the best seat I've sat in, and first time I've sat in the lower deck in many years. I usually sit near the front of the upper deck east side.

Many of these things are already known, but I thought I'd share what I see as the biggest differences in the 2 seating options.

Better in Lower deck:
    - The lower deck east side fans are way more "into" the game than the upper deck folks, which I loved. I didn't feel like I was the only one yelling or standing for a change, however, I still thought more should've been making noise on 1st and 2nd downs on defense. I still don't understand why most folks only start making noise as the QB is walking up to the ball on 3rd down. The noise makes a difference, but we don't fully utilize our noise making potential, but I digress.
    - As I already knew, the food options in the lower deck are far, far superior to the upper deck, just due to all the individual vendors.
    - The walk to the upper deck sucks. I didn't realize how bad until now.
    - Although I was a lot closer to the action in the lower deck, the view wasn't necessarily a lot better. I could make out just as much or more from my upper deck seat as far as what's happening on the field. It's just cooler being closer.

Better in Upper:
    - It is very hard to hear the jumbotron from the lower deck. I've heard folks say this before, but I never understood... On the flip side, in the upper deck, the jumbotron is way too loud. It's damn near ear piercing to me. Seems like they need to come up with a new design of the sound system to really get that fixed. Still, I'll take hearing it over not.
    - The restrooms in the upper deck are way less crowded. There was a wait in the lower deck no matter when you went. The upper deck restrooms are usually wide open except during halftime.
    - price... obviously. Upper deck east side seats are very cheap, and ultimately that's why I sit there and will continue to.

Back to my digression from above (and a risk of changing the whole thread)... I truly believe we could have the biggest home field advantage in the nation (or at least top 5) if just 75% of our fans cared to make it that way, and quit making excuses on why they can't/don't make noise, or why they need to leave the game early. If half of our fans made as much noise as our students do on 1st and 2nd downs, we would have a true 12th man.

vCash
    I had season tix on the West side lower level last year & sat there for all the games except for Bama when I traded tix to sit with friends on the East side lower level. The sun is a definite factor on the East side for me. I sweat my butt off during that game & was so miserable (score didn't help) I had to leave & go back to tailgate. I had already shed all my layers so I couldn't shed anymore without taking my shirt off. That game being in Nov called for being cool during day & cold at night so I dressed accordingly. Well that was a mistake sitting on the East for that reason alone. The west side doesn't deal with the sun issue, however it can also be a lot colder I'd assume during the cold months for that same reason. The facilities are newer & nicer & yes I know that the East side will get revamped too, but I just prefer the west side cause of the newness of everything.

That's my only complaint. I'm done venting on that now. I love DWS.

vCash
    I've tried out nearly every section at DWS over the years and my family and I CHOOSE to sit in the upper deck. There is no comparison as far as we are concerned. The view of the game is MUCH better from up high and it's not even close. We actually sat in the East club level on Saturday and the game had been going on for about 5 minutes when my wife complained that she couldn't see what was going on.... that we were too low. Also, getting in and out of our seats is much easier as well. Whenever we sit in the lower deck west side, we spend the entire game getting up and down to let someone get in or out of their seat on our row. The rows are so long and there are so many seats on each row that the constant traffic going back and forth is highly irritating. We sit in chairback seats on Row 2 of the west upper deck and everyone on our row can step straight from the walking concourse into their seats so there is no traffic walking down the row. Also, we are about 10 steps from the concourse with restrooms and concessions stands so it's very easy to take a quick break without missing any action on the field. I know alot of people that refuse to sit in the upper deck for anything, so I'm sure there are strong opinions on that side of it as well.... which works out better for us I guess.... less competition for our seats!

vCash
    I've been hearing for two years that they're planning on installing distributed sound; can anyone confirm, and if so when will it be? The stadium sound quality and effect is borderline embarrassing at the best of times.

Banned
    vCash
    I've never sat in the upper deck. Think I'm gonna try it out next game. How is the crowd noise compared to lower level?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by thf24 View Post
    I've been hearing for two years that they're planning on installing distributed sound; can anyone confirm, and if so when will it be? The stadium sound quality and effect is borderline embarrassing at the best of times.
    I heard that a couple of years ago, but haven't heard anything since. Maybe it's a matter of funding.

I've only been in the upper deck once. It was when my son was visiting and they gave prospective student and a parent a ticket to a game. It was on the west side, near the top. Couldn't see a thing there. Looked like ants crawling around on the field.

vCash
    The upper west side is a great place to sit, esp if you are down low in it. The concessions and the rest rooms are never really crowded.

vCash
    I am in the lower level on row 13 and they are great seats. I like to be down close to the action, but to each their own.
    For me it's much easier to get into the game from the lower level.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    - The lower deck east side fans are way more "into" the game than the upper deck folks, which I loved. I didn't feel like I was the only one yelling or standing for a change, however, I still thought more should've been making noise on 1st and 2nd downs on defense. I still don't understand why most folks only start making noise as the QB is walking up to the ball on 3rd down. The noise makes a difference, but we don't fully utilize our noise making potential, but I digress.
    I sit in 19 and I've just given up complaining about people around me not yelling on 1st and 2nd defensive downs. We are two sections down from the band and the more the band and students get into the game the more our section does. Luckily the guy beside me rings and yells all the time so I don't feel out of place when I do. I have sat in the upper level and I do like the view better than the lower but up top it is harder to stay engaged in the game to me.

vCash
    The 200's are really good seats. Best of both worlds.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Buddy View Post
    I've tried out nearly every section at DWS over the years and my family and I CHOOSE to sit in the upper deck. There is no comparison as far as we are concerned. The view of the game is MUCH better from up high and it's not even close. We actually sat in the East club level on Saturday and the game had been going on for about 5 minutes when my wife complained that she couldn't see what was going on.... that we were too low. Also, getting in and out of our seats is much easier as well. Whenever we sit in the lower deck west side, we spend the entire game getting up and down to let someone get in or out of their seat on our row. The rows are so long and there are so many seats on each row that the constant traffic going back and forth is highly irritating. We sit in chairback seats on Row 2 of the west upper deck and everyone on our row can step straight from the walking concourse into their seats so there is no traffic walking down the row. Also, we are about 10 steps from the concourse with restrooms and concessions stands so it's very easy to take a quick break without missing any action on the field. I know alot of people that refuse to sit in the upper deck for anything, so I'm sure there are strong opinions on that side of it as well.... which works out better for us I guess.... less competition for our seats!
    I agree. I have been going to games for ever and have sat in almost every section minus the club. I am on roll one in my section in the West Side Upper and it is the best.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by youraveragesavage View Post
    I've never sat in the upper deck. Think I'm gonna try it out next game. How is the crowd noise compared to lower level?
    It's not quite as good, at least on the east side, but it isn't a massive difference.

vCash
    I had upper deck seats for several years and the walk was an issue but I always figured I needed the workout. I sit at a desk too much anyway.

I had tickets on the lower deck for a couple years but they absolutely sucked. I was all the way against the wall in the corner and I just watched the jumbo tron if they were on the other end of the fifty. I upped my donations and tried to move over but to no avail. I have set all over the stadium at one time or the other and if I could get those West side, upper deck, fifty yard line seats that were on the 2nd row, I would prefer those to any. The walk, was the only bad thing for me.

The only place really bothers me is tucked under the upper deck. Those are the best seats for viewing and you have cover but the cowbell noise echos under there and is unbearable. I would have to wear earplugs under there.

vCash
    My FIL used to have season tickets first row upper deck about the 40 yard line on the east side. Great seats