Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is it a big deal that Dan has interviewed for other jobs?

Archimedes
    vCash
    The way the game is played now is agents negotiate a number before you interview. The only job he has interviewed for is Miami and then Richt became available and they went with him.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    Not sure who the official interview was with but I was told by a Maryland guy that there was enough talk to have numbers thrown around and some people thought they had a good shot of him coming there. This comes from someone that has no connection at all with MSU or Dan, purely from Maryland. With Miami and UGA open, Maryland wasn't willing to wait on him to see if he got either of those. Not sure if he had true interest or if he was trying to use them to get himself a raise but it happened as far as I was told.
    I think I posted this yesterday but the extent of the Maryland deal, as told to me, was a number thrown at the agent when THEY approached the agent about interest. No interview, no search on Mullen's part, just Maryland making contact to guage interest and the agent doing his job. Miami was a legit interview and all indications I got were he would have left if offered.

vCash
    It's not what. It's how.

You don't think other coaches look to move on? How come we have to deal with this every offseason and there is never any statement issued about his commitment to the university? It's horse shit.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    THIS is the correct answer. We also had people pimping every rumor to serve their agenda.
    b-b-B-but I thought it was my #agenda to lie to everyone when I said we would struggle to win 6 games??? You said it was??? Funny how my #agendas always end up being the truth

Archimedes
    vCash
    its real simple our ad does it to us. You come out and give a extension if that is what you are going to do in November or first of December. Don't do it in March.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    b-b-B-but I thought it was my #agenda to lie to everyone when I said we would struggle to win 6 games??? You said it was??? Funny how my #agendas always end up being the truth
    Yours? Interesting. You weren't around here then were you? Not when the Maryland BS was surfacing.

If you will go back and look I said I would be happy with 6 wins this year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawg496 View Post
    It's not what. It's how.

You don't think other coaches look to move on? How come we have to deal with this every offseason and there is never any statement issued about his commitment to the university? It's horse shit.

On 11/27/15 Bonner asked him about a rumor posted by FootballScoop.com and Dan replied, "I don't like commenting on other jobs just because it's a waste of time," Mullen said. "I love the one that I have. Not much else on it besides that."

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ScoobaDawg View Post
    The biggest thing is Mullen hasn't done his job in the off-season. We do not have close to a full allotment of scholarship players right now and thats on Dan. It's on him for not managing things correctly. it's on him for having shitty coaches aka friends that he lets hang around and not do their jobs.
    I agree with some of this. But BEFORE any of this and during the run the last two years he has also had road blocks and misinformation to negatively impact some of this and how he did his job. A good part of the reason why is because he didn't bow to some boosters feet and to be honest some of the ones playing around in the background, I wouldn't have either. They have no business negatively impacting our program and what he was building. And to be honest for no good reason. Some of this started prior to the 2013 season. Why? Because we were finally going in a sustained positive direction but they were not pulling the strings? Or was it because some lost their collective minds with the UNM 2013 recruiting class and believed we needed our own Freeze to play dirty with them. Lot of questions and make no mistake Mullen didn't react well and it has hurt the program. But if anybody thinks all of this is just him and all these talking points that keep being pounded on over and over is not rooted in a misinformation campaign as well, then you are wrong. Like I said there is blame to go around and with Mullen as well, he could have handled things differently outside the playing field and a some of this wouldn't be brought up today. But some of the power players carry as much of the blame because of their actions. They need to step up and make things right as well.
    Last edited by Really Clark?; 09-07-2016 at 11:36 AM.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DancingRabbit View Post

On 11/27/15 Bonner asked him about a rumor posted by FootballScoop.com and Dan replied, "I don't like commenting on other jobs just because it's a waste of time," Mullen said. "I love the one that I have. Not much else on it besides that."
    Then on December 1,Mullen interviews for Miami job...I guess things change.

Archimedes
    vCash
    That date is wrong inter but I'm not going to post the real date. That's the big wtf and screw up Mullen made.

vCash
    Agree with this post

vCash
    What is the "Mullen Camp" and who are "others"?

vCash
    A lot of them probably wouldn't give the same if we had beaten SoAl last week

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    I agree with some of this. But BEFORE any of this and during the run the last two years he has also had road blocks and misinformation to negatively impact some of this and how he did his job. A good part of the reason why is because he didn't bow to some boosters feet and to be honest some of the ones playing around in the background, I wouldn't have either. They have no business negatively impacting our program and what he was building. And to be honest for no good reason. Some of this started prior to the 2013 season. Why? Because we were finally going in a sustained positive direction but they were not pulling the strings? Or was it because some lost their collective minds with the UNM 2013 recruiting class and believed we needed our own Freeze to play dirty with them. Lot of questions and make no mistake Mullen didn't react well and it has hurt the program. But if anybody thinks all of this is just him and all these talking points that keep being pounded on over and over is not rooted in a misinformation campaign as well, then you are wrong. Like I said there is blame to go around and with Mullen as well, he could have handled things differently outside the playing field and a some of this wouldn't be brought up today. But some of the power players carry as much of the blame because of their actions. They need to step up and make things right as well.
    If this is true.........then we are SOS......Same Ole State.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    When Dan came here, we were at the bottom of college football. We knew if we were able to get a good up and comer coach that we would likely be used as a stepping stone, like most schools in our position would be. How many coaches would've and could've come into MSU at that time, elevated our program like Dan has, and never even consider taking another job?... Probably none. They either don't have the talent to take one of the worst teams in college football to a #1 ranking, or they would have that ability, and they'd be looking for something bigger and better within a few years.

Almost all coaches are looking for something bigger and better unless they have reached the very top, which almost none do, and even sometimes then, they will still leave and look for something else (such as Nick Saban going to the NFL).

I guess I just don't see it as big of a negative as everyone else that our head coach has considered the possibility of taking another job after having some good success here. Unless they went to school here and have been a lifelong State fan, they are all going to want to move on at some point. I really don't think there are many good coaches who wouldn't do this.
    It's not a big deal. I believe it is part of having success and that our rival and those that don't like him have made it out to be a bigger deal than it is. Also, there are many fans that love our program so much that they lose objectivity and cannot fathom that someone else, especially a 4 million $$ head coach, doesn't see this university as the pinnacle of the sports world. It's just a job to be a coach. We all want to move up in our jobs. I think Dan is actually the rare coach that sees it as more than a job and actually understands that he is coaching in the premier conference and division in his chosen profession, and that if he can make it here he has reached the highest peak that can be reached (win the west = win the sec = competing for NC).

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ray Brower View Post
    Are you OK with your wife going to the bar and asking guys to buy her drinks?
    My wife isn't on a four year contract where I refused to re-up for another fourth year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    The way the game is played now is agents negotiate a number before you interview. The only job he has interviewed for is Miami and then Richt became available and they went with him.
    In today's coaching world you are 90% of the way into the process of taking a new job by the time you "officially" interview. Most everything is done through agents to lay all of the groundwork specifically so it does NOT become public and become an issue at your current job.

The main thing that tells me Mullen was actively looking last year, besides the rumor mill, is the fact that we had such huge staff turnover. When the head guy is looking the assistants are looking. Heck, we don't have one defensive coach left from last year's staff.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgtini View Post
    It's not a big deal. I believe it is part of having success and that our rival and those that don't like him have made it out to be a bigger deal than it is. Also, there are many fans that love our program so much that they lose objectivity and cannot fathom that someone else, especially a 4 million $$ head coach, doesn't see this university as the pinnacle of the sports world. It's just a job to be a coach. We all want to move up in our jobs. I think Dan is actually the rare coach that sees it as more than a job and actually understands that he is coaching in the premier conference and division in his chosen profession, and that if he can make it here he has reached the highest peak that can be reached (win the west = win the sec = competing for NC).
    This is what I believe as well.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    Does your regional manager know you are posting on the interest during business hours? Don't you have customers to serve or tables to bus? Where's your company loyalty to your employer?

Paysite Policeman Dawg-gone-dawgs's Avatar
    vCash
    Because it was rumored that he wore shorts to the interviews.......