Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Why is it a big deal that Dan has interviewed for other jobs?

vCash

Why is it a big deal that Dan has interviewed for other jobs?

When Dan came here, we were at the bottom of college football. We knew if we were able to get a good up and comer coach that we would likely be used as a stepping stone, like most schools in our position would be. How many coaches would've and could've come into MSU at that time, elevated our program like Dan has, and never even consider taking another job?... Probably none. They either don't have the talent to take one of the worst teams in college football to a #1 ranking, or they would have that ability, and they'd be looking for something bigger and better within a few years.

Almost all coaches are looking for something bigger and better unless they have reached the very top, which almost none do, and even sometimes then, they will still leave and look for something else (such as Nick Saban going to the NFL).

I guess I just don't see it as big of a negative as everyone else that our head coach has considered the possibility of taking another job after having some good success here. Unless they went to school here and have been a lifelong State fan, they are all going to want to move on at some point. I really don't think there are many good coaches who wouldn't do this.

vCash
    Because he does it right before signing day and our recruiting sucks.

Banned
    vCash
    There is a fine line between interviewing for other jobs when approached by potential suitors and trying your damnedest to get any other job other than the one you have. This is especially true when there is a tremendous financial commitment from your employer to provide top tier compensation and resources you have personally requested to help do your job well. According to most in the know, Mullen crossed that line a while back.

vCash
    #
    Last edited by spbdawg; 11-27-2018 at 10:44 AM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by sleepy dawg View Post
    When Dan came here, we were at the bottom of college football. We knew if we were able to get a good up and comer coach that we would likely be used as a stepping stone, like most schools in our position would be. How many coaches would've and could've come into MSU at that time, elevated our program like Dan has, and never even consider taking another job?... Probably none. They either don't have the talent to take one of the worst teams in college football to a #1 ranking, or they would have that ability, and they'd be looking for something bigger and better within a few years.

Almost all coaches are looking for something bigger and better unless they have reached the very top, which almost none do, and even sometimes then, they will still leave and look for something else (such as Nick Saban going to the NFL).

I guess I just don't see it as big of a negative as everyone else that our head coach has considered the possibility of taking another job after having some good success here. Unless they went to school here and have been a lifelong State fan, they are all going to want to move on at some point. I really don't think there are many good coaches who wouldn't do this.
    Are you OK with your wife going to the bar and asking guys to buy her drinks?

Archimedes
    vCash
    They didn't give him the compensation he wanted for assistants and support staff he wanted after 14 and it pissed him off. So he gave them a big f u in 15 and looked and guess what happened.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MafiaDawg View Post
    Because he does it right before signing day and our recruiting sucks.
    This is the correct answer. He is letting his job hunt affect his current position. If you are missing deadlines due to putting in resumes on indeed then your boss might have an issue. Not only do other schools use it against us in recruiting, Mullen's recruiting is subpar anyway.

vCash

One could argue we are at the bottom of college football RIGHT NOW! We aren't ranked in the top 25 and We lost to south Alabama and we
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 09-07-2016 at 11:07 AM.

vCash
    I don't have a problem at all with his interviews if we didn't have one of the worst recruiting classes in the SEC and we don't even have a full team because of it. We laugh when Nutt was signing 36 players in one class but we need to do that to have a full team on scholarship. Mullen has basically imposed scholarship reductions on us worse than 9 over 3 by not even signing guys.

vCash

It's not a big deal that he interviewed once. It's letting it get out repeatedly while also having subpar recruiting. Outside a few rare companies that actually encourage their employees to interview, pretty much everybody that serially looks for other jobs without getting/taking them is going to end up in hot water with their employer.

vCash

Quote Originally Posted by ILOATHEBears View Post
    One could argue we are at the bottom of college football RIGHT NOW! We aren't ranked in the top 25 and We lost to south Alabama and we
    I might would agree if his timing were better and the jobs were clearly better. If he contacted Miami, while they do have a better history I don't think they are clearly a step up at the current moment. And I believe we can pay more too. That to me at the current moment is a net draw.

I was never convinced he would be here long term, but I said way back on the other board when he was hired that this was a 10 year rebuild process. Right now my projections are spot on because the inevitable fall off year seems to be happening. However, if Mullen craps out on us by not caring or just sticking it to us because we won't give him what he wants, then it will take longer. What people fail to realize is that while we aren't lil ole MSU anymore, we are still behind the rest of the SEC in funding and many of our available resources. You can choose not to believe it, but go look at fiscal year athletic department budgets and see what the data says.

We've improved but we still have a long way to go. I would say Mullen has done well with what we have. He's pushed us. The question is does he have the nuts to have the vision to push us further? Does he truly believe 10-3 is our ceiling? If so that's a really bad sign. Means he reached his ceiling and doesn't see any more room for growth.
    Last edited by ScoobaDawg; 09-07-2016 at 11:10 AM.

vCash
    Officially he has only interviewed once. The others are all rumors. I think a lot of it gets built up right before signing day by Ole Miss people.

Banned
    vCash
    Nobody would give two shits had we beaten Ole Miss at home last year.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WinningIsRelentless View Post
    They didn't give him the compensation he wanted for assistants and support staff he wanted after 14 and it pissed him off. So he gave them a big f u in 15 and looked and guess what happened.
    And some of that was from outside influences to the AD in 2014. Hold over from being pissed he won out in 2013 so they couldn't place someone in position that they wanted. There are things to blame Mullen for, I don't disagree but some of our own have played a bigger part in creating a good bit of this mess and they won't take any responsibility for it and especially keep twisting the narrative to paint it all on Mullen.

How bout this, no way for me to corroborate, but have been told by multiple people that some of these job searches over the last few years were not only false but in one case one of our own was involved in some some fashion a back door contact to Mullen, and then spun the story that he is looking to leave.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Officially he has only interviewed once. The others are all rumors. I think a lot of it gets built up right before signing day by Ole Miss people.
    THIS is the correct answer. We also had people pimping every rumor to serve their agenda.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    And some of that was from outside influences to the AD in 2014. Hold over from being pissed he won out in 2013 so they couldn't place someone in position that they wanted. There are things to blame Mullen for, I don't disagree but some of our own have played a bigger part in creating a good bit of this mess and they won't take any responsibility for it and especially keep twisting the narrative to paint it all on Mullen.

How bout this, no way for me to corroborate, but have been told by multiple people that some of these job searches over the last few years were not only false but in one case one of our own was involved in some some fashion a back door contact to Mullen, and then spun the story that he is looking to leave.
    Yep

Archimedes
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    Yep
    As I said yesterday strick doesn't have the balls to tell the cigar boys to just give me what I need and I'll win. With that being said strick was hired because the cigar boys wanted him to be their next templeton.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Jack Lambert View Post
    Not sure who the official interview was with but I was told by a Maryland guy that there was enough talk to have numbers thrown around and some people thought they had a good shot of him coming there. This comes from someone that has no connection at all with MSU or Dan, purely from Maryland. With Miami and UGA open, Maryland wasn't willing to wait on him to see if he got either of those. Not sure if he had true interest or if he was trying to use them to get himself a raise but it happened as far as I was told.

vCash
    Dan Mullen tried to get the Georgia job last year. I don't blame him. He got passed over for Smart

Mullen tried hard to get the Miami job and thought he had it. Then Richt became available and Miami dropped him like a bad habit. What was going to be Mullen/Manny became Richt/Manny. This was quite the eye-opener for Mullen

Mullen flirted with Maryland also

The problem is that it's a distraction while the season is going on. These types of things needs to go on after the Egg Bowl- not during the last few weeks of the season. Also, it being very public is a problem. His agent was actively pimping him last year. Word spreads- people talk. Last November was ridiculous.

So when you have all that buzz going on- then lay an Egg Bowl turd- then miss on numerous recruits in Feb- then follow it up with a loss to a Sun Belt team you were favored by 28 points over- it's not a good look or trend for your program. We are 10-8 since being #1, and that is going to fall below .500 by season's end. Bad trend

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post

The biggest thing is Mullen hasn't done his job in the off-season. We do not have close to a full allotment of scholarship players right now and thats on Dan. It's on him for not managing things correctly. it's on him for having shitty coaches aka friends that he lets hang around and not do their jobs.