Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: question to the board

vCash

question to the board

Some comments in the peer presure thread got me thinking. Would you endure a decade of Croom years for one national title. I don't think I could handle 10 years of utterly uncompetitive football even if a natty was guaranteed, but what does the board say?

vCash
    No. I think when it comes to perception, consistency matters. 10 Years ago Texas won the natty, the last 3 years they are 19-19. UT didn't make a bowl last year and that NC seems a long time ago.

Then again, it could be generational. Millennials live in a microwave society that is very in the now. A decade is half-a-lifetime ago for some.
    Last edited by Leroy Jenkins; 08-24-2016 at 12:05 AM.
    Everyone wants to be a beast...until its time to do what beasts do.

vCash
    horns down

vCash
    I would have to say yes, just to get the Natty. But, by god, I don't know if I could stomach a decade of that crooked hat and winning 3 to 5 games a year.

vCash
    Essentially that is almost what Ole Miss is doing. They are trading two New Year’s Day Bowls for 10 years of sucking.

And I know you said National Championship which is very different than having a season where you lose to Memphis and two other SEC teams. Let’s be honest Dan and Jackie have had seasons like that or better without ruining the program.

But anyway- I think I would have to say no based on the fact that the most likely logical way for us to win a NC and then have 10 terrible years would be for us to cheat like Ole Miss except actually come through against all of our OOC teams and then clean up the SEC.

Of course no way that MSU would put up with Croom for 10 years anyway. We didn’t even do that despite lower standards and the fact that he was one year removed from a Liberty Bowl win. The National media would wonder why we would put up with that after having won a NC unless of course Croom won the NC and that’s even more unrealistic unless he inherited an absolutely loaded team that even he couldn’t screw it up. Of course that rarely happens in college football.

Now- I’ll say this. I’d probably tolerate a six year run where we win 5 SEC Championships and 5 National Titles including going undefeated four years in a row adding up to 5 NC total followed up by 10 years of sucking. I’d also add at least one appearance in that time span to each of the six major BCS bowl sites in the playoffs at least once in that span- Sugar, Rose, Orange, Cotton, Peach, and Fiesta. After that the next 10 years probably wouldn’t matter as much to me although I would wonder what the hell happened. Knowing us that would be like a Ron Polk situation where we had a coach win 5 National Titles and then just mailed it in for 10 years and we couldn’t get rid of him.

vCash
    I could dine for a decade off one natty.

vCash
    Heck no. Give me consistency. Call me selfish but I'd rather be able to hold my head up in public than hide like all the OM fans will be doing for the next decade.

It's basically whether you would be okay being a fan of some of these team?
    BYU has won a NC. They get no respect now.
    Pittsburgh. Heck no. They will never sniff another NC again. Eternal dumpster fire.
    Colorado. No one respects them.
    SMU. They're terrible. They're not even being mentioned with getting in the Big 12.
    Nebraska, Georgia Tech, Tennessee, and USC are all miserable because they can't get back to where they were before.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    5 Croom-like years and this board would die after 3 years, cause nobody would give a sh*t.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    Heck no. Give me consistency. Call me selfish but I'd rather be able to hold my head up in public than hide like all the OM fans will be doing for the next decade.

It's basically whether you would be okay being a fan of some of these team?
    BYU has won a NC. They get no respect now.
    Pittsburgh. Heck no. They will never sniff another NC again. Eternal dumpster fire.
    Colorado. No one respects them.
    SMU. They're terrible. They're not even being mentioned with getting in the Big 12.
    Nebraska, Georgia Tech, Tennessee, and USC are all miserable because they can't get back to where they were before.
    That holds true for even the non-dumpster fire programs like UGA. Their fans are insufferable because of a NC and 3 SEC Titles that happened 33-36 years ago. They all think they are Bama because of it - and they are all desperate to get back. Hell, they spent the last 5 years trying to run off one of the best coaches in the country (and if you don't believe that, just watch what he does with Miami) and will chew up Kirby Smart when he hasn't won one in the next 5 years.

I never, ever, want to experience another period like the end of Jackie/Croom. Ever. It was shear torture.

vCash
    I like what we got now. We will always have a chance with Mullen. Think about it, Ole Miss bought the best team they have ever had and could not get to Atlanta and now are looking at a very good possibility of being nobody for years to come. We are limited to what we can do unless we start to cheat like ole miss and it is not worth it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EngDawg View Post
    Some comments in the peer presure thread got me thinking. Would you endure a decade of Croom years for one national title. I don't think I could handle 10 years of utterly uncompetitive football even if a natty was guaranteed, but what does the board say?
    No. The title would be glorious but 10 years of losing like that would not be worth it.

vCash
    Eh yea that is tough. I would probably stick with consistency and some outside shots at an SEC/National championship however far that is. As for Georgia, not trying to derail the thread, but that whole situation does not make sense. I do not understand how Georgia has not been able to break through and win a couple of nattys in recent times. They have literally everything you need to be extremely successful. I liked Mark Richt but it is kind of surprising that they did not win the East the last two years. They had a chance to take control of that side of the conference and couldn't do it. Time will tell if that was a bad decision getting rid of Richt.

vCash
    10 years is a long time to suffer.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BB30 View Post
    Eh yea that is tough. I would probably stick with consistency and some outside shots at an SEC/National championship however far that is. As for Georgia, not trying to derail the thread, but that whole situation does not make sense. I do not understand how Georgia has not been able to break through and win a couple of nattys in recent times. They have literally everything you need to be extremely successful. I liked Mark Richt but it is kind of surprising that they did not win the East the last two years. They had a chance to take control of that side of the conference and couldn't do it. Time will tell if that was a bad decision getting rid of Richt.
    QB kept them out of it the past 2 years. After Murray graduated, Richt had no one waiting in the wings - although Hutson Mason was serviceable. I think that high quality QB's had stayed away because the writing was on the wall that it was only a matter of time before the lunatic fringe fans forced the hand of the AD. You don't go from having such a strong string of high quality QB's - Greene, Shockley, Stafford, Murray - to needing a Graduate Transfer to save your season without impacting the program. I also think that had an impact on the psyche of the team the past 2 seasons. They felt like 1 loss meant the end of their coach.

vCash
    YES! Some of y'all are answering as if the NC wouldn't be guaranteed. He said it would be. And another thing to consider is those 10 years would be done & over because if we won a NC our program would change & the possibility of winning another would be greater, if in fact, the 10 years come before the NC & we could put them behind us.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by EngDawg View Post
    I absolutely would. I'm currently of the opinion that MSU isn't ever going to win the natty in football, barring a major demographic shift over the next several hundred years that somehow makes Mississippi's population quadruple compared to the rest of the SEC footprint. I'm 99.9% certain it isn't going to happen in my lifetime. So for us to be guaranteed to do it in my lifetime, I'd easily sacrifice a decade of futility, which could easily happen again in my lifetime anyways even without a natty.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HSVDawg View Post
    I absolutely would. I'm currently of the opinion that MSU isn't ever going to win the natty in football, barring a major demographic shift over the next several hundred years that somehow makes Mississippi's population quadruple compared to the rest of the SEC footprint. I'm 99.9% certain it isn't going to happen in my lifetime. So for us to be guaranteed to do it in my lifetime, I'd easily sacrifice a decade of futility, which could easily happen again in my lifetime anyways even without a natty.
    ^I'm with you, although with the playoff instead of the polls and the BCS, I might be a little more hopeful about MSU's chances.

I'd have two caveats - we would need to have won the SEC championship, too (which we almost certainly would have to do to play in the NCG ) and my dad would have to still be alive to see it (it's still reasonable in the 11-year scenario presented although nothing is a given). For as much bad MSU football as I've had to watch, he's had to endure so much more. It's a shame that he has been eligible for Social Security for several years, and MSU still doesn't have an SEC championship, much less the national championship, in his lifetime. It would mean a lot to me for him to be able to witness that.
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    "Give us your tired and weak and we will make them strong. Bring us your foreign songs and we will sing along.
    Leave us your broken dreams, we'll give them time to mend. There's still a lot of love living in the Promiseland"
    - as sung by Willie Nelson

vCash
    Could we negotiate the terms of this proposal?

I simply want A national championship in one of the major three sports.

Football - NC but suck for 10 years.
    Basketball - NC but suck for 8 years.
    Baseball - NC but suck for 6 years.

I'll answer "yes" to any one of those scenarios because it means that we can focus on the other two while we wait out the terms to end and it secures that we don't win our first national championship in something like Women's Cross Country (no offense to them).

vCash
    A friend of mine and I still contend that win in the Liberty Bowl was the WORST game I ever saw, even though Dogs won. As far as your statement......it feels like we DID ENDURE 10 years of Croom......

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by lastmajordog View Post
    A friend of mine and I still contend that win in the Liberty Bowl was the WORST game I ever saw, even though Dogs won. As far as your statement......it feels like we DID ENDURE 10 years of Croom......
    There is no way the '07 Liberty Bowl was worse than the '08 3-2 game. That was the worst game ever played in college football history.