Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Should College Football Players be Allowed to Make Free Market Money?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    The question is how can a kid like Katie Ledecky can go to the Olympics win gold capitalize on that with endorsements & money & still be able to swim in college but a football player sells his own jersey & he's ineligible. The logic in those 2 just don't add up.
    This, I can agree with.

Who funded her training? Doesn't TEAM USA do that? That shouldn't be NCAA-kosher. Surely she's not an olympian based on her college grind. I could be wrong.

At the very least, she has been coached by Team USA coaches. That should be illegal to the NCAA.

Remember that time Kyle Veazy got us slapped with a secondary by reporting that Sherrill was working with kickers at Mullen's practices?

vCash
    The question is how can a kid like Katie Ledecky can go to the Olympics win gold capitalize on that with endorsements & money & still be able to swim in college but a football player sells his own jersey & he's ineligible. The logic in those 2 just don't add up.
    I agree but I will say this. The difference is that for 99.9% of the people who play sports, the best athletes in that discipline are professionals. There are very few sports where more than maybe one college athlete would even make a team. Outside of maybe Fournette, can you think of anyone currently in college football that would even come close to making an Olympic football team made up of the best NFL players? Swimming is that rare one where that doesn't work out all the time, so people look the other way and discount it because at most schools it's not a major sport.

But I do agree that something has to change. Either the definition of a professional athlete has to change or the latitudes with which college athletes are defined have to be expanded.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MetEdDawg View Post
    Swimming is that rare one where that doesn't work out all the time,

Bzzzt! Wrong answer.

vCash
    Because Katie Ledecky capitalizing on endorsements isn't an enticement that the U of Texas can offer recruits while capitalizing on selling here Texas Swimsuit or signing autographs as a Texas swimmer is an enticement to recruits.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    Because Katie Ledecky capitalizing on endorsements isn't an enticement that the U of Texas can offer recruits while capitalizing on selling here Texas Swimsuit or signing autographs as a Texas swimmer is an enticement to recruits.
    I didn't mention recruiting. I'm talking about after kids enroll.

vCash
    I didn't mention recruiting. I'm talking about after kids enroll.
    Yeah, but it's the same thing.

Hey Leonard, "Come to Michigan. We can't pay you now, but once your on campus for 3 months, we'll have an autograph signing for you where we can guarantee you $100,000 grand."

vCash

Hey Leonard, "Come to Michigan. We can't pay you now, but once your on campus for 3 months, we'll have an autograph signing for you where we can guarantee you $100,000 grand."
    Ok but that still doesn't answer my question about the NCAA. How can 1 student athlete receive money & endorsements but the other can't? That has 0 to do with recruiting.

vCash

Actually, swimming is just like any other NCAA sport from an amateur status standpoint. Missy Franklin staying at Stanford and not turning pro after 2012 is what most people point to as her doing so poorly the last couple of years - and cost her an estimated $5m in endorsements - http://wamc.org/post/keith-strudler-...tment#stream/0

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post

Actually, swimming is just like any other NCAA sport from an amateur status standpoint. Missy Franklin staying at Stanford and not turning pro after 2012 is what most people point to as her doing so poorly the last couple of years - and cost her an estimated $5m in endorsements - http://wamc.org/post/keith-strudler-...tment#stream/0
    My question is how does she keep her amateur status & still get paid for endorsements or receive any compensation period.

Banned
    vCash

As long as the school isn't sanctioning it (by that I include both the administration and boosters), then what is the problem? You regulate autographs the same way you regulate anything else in the improper benefits spectrum. Payments have to be fair market value and records have to be kept. If the NCAA can say that Will Redmond didn't pay enough for his Mustang, they can damn sure say whether or not someone paid too much for an autograph. You could even ban them from selling autographs directly to boosters. There are a million ways to do it where you keep a fair playing field without completely screwing over the athletes. As long as there are regulations, boosters will continue to pursue the path of least resistance which is just giving kids bags of cash on the sly. That is never going to change.

Senior Member Interpolation_Dawg_EX's Avatar
    vCash
    My question is how does she keep her amateur status & still get paid for endorsements or receive any compensation period.
    http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/...-stanford.html

"Through its “Operation Gold” program, the U.S. Olympic Committee grants bonuses of $25,000 for gold medals, $15,000 for silver medals and $10,000 for bronze medals. The NCAA altered its by-laws Opens a New Window. in 2001 to allow Olympic competitors to accept “Operation Gold” rewards, as well as training and expense stipends, without jeopardizing their status as amateur athletes.

That means Ledecky, who will attend Stanford University in California this fall, will net at least $115,000 in prize money before taxes. The 19-year-old D.C. native won gold in the 200-meter, 400-meter and 800-meter freestyles, as well as the 4x200-meter freestyle relay. She took home a silver medal in the 4x100-meter relay.....

While medal winners gain international recognition for their Olympic success, the NCAA still restricts its student-athletes from receiving compensation through endorsement deals. So Ledecky is free to keep her bonus money, but she can’t pursue compensation through corporate sponsorship's.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Interpolation_Dawg_EX View Post
    http://www.foxbusiness.com/features/...-stanford.html

"Through its “Operation Gold” program, the U.S. Olympic Committee grants bonuses of $25,000 for gold medals, $15,000 for silver medals and $10,000 for bronze medals. The NCAA altered its by-laws Opens a New Window. in 2001 to allow Olympic competitors to accept “Operation Gold” rewards, as well as training and expense stipends, without jeopardizing their status as amateur athletes.

That means Ledecky, who will attend Stanford University in California this fall, will net at least $115,000 in prize money before taxes. The 19-year-old D.C. native won gold in the 200-meter, 400-meter and 800-meter freestyles, as well as the 4x200-meter freestyle relay. She took home a silver medal in the 4x100-meter relay.....

While medal winners gain international recognition for their Olympic success, the NCAA still restricts its student-athletes from receiving compensation through endorsement deals. So Ledecky is free to keep her bonus money, but she can’t pursue compensation through corporate sponsorship's.
    Thanks that answers my question. So only Olympic athletes are afforded this situation.

vCash
    Getting rid of title IX should be step one. Then talk about paying kids.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post

Don't like it? A player is free to go somewhere else and market themselves.
    Not a apples to apples comparison. All/most of the schools fall under a governing body (NCAA, etc)

Private businesses (Exxon, Gulf, Shell, Chevron, etc) have true competition.

ps: On a side note, I would like the partial scholarship sports to become fully funded. Football and Basketball players, among others, get stipends. Most other sports, not.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    No one cares about fairness when you are talking about "these kids" though. "Life isn't fair" is a sad cop out for not doing what is right. With that attitude we'd all be governed by feudal lords in England.
    We're not?

vCash
    Life is not fair. Call that a cop out if you want. But it's reality.

Choosing to play college sports is a personal decision. Develop those skills, or develop some other. It's a path to a degree, or rarely a path to an NFL career.

They get a stipend, and they live better than I did when I was in college. But I had enough to eat, as do they.

Make the best decisions for yourself when you're young. Make the money later. Isn't that the way for most of us? Damn right it ain't fair.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgcentral View Post
    Life is not fair. Call that a cop out if you want. But it's reality.

Choosing to play college sports is a personal decision. Develop those skills, or develop some other. It's a path to a degree, or rarely a path to an NFL career.

They get a stipend, and they live better than I did when I was in college. But I had enough to eat, as do they.

Make the best decisions for yourself when you're young. Make the money later. Isn't that the way for most of us? Damn right it ain't fair.
    I suspect you'd feel differently if the employers in your industry got together and agreed that they were going to collude to limit compensation. I'm sure you'd still say it's not fair, but I bet you would think something should be done about it.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    I suspect you'd feel differently if the employers in your industry got together and agreed that they were going to collude to limit compensation. I'm sure you'd still say it's not fair, but I bet you would think something should be done about it.
    Ha! Amazing. I'm absolutely SURE that they do exactly that! But My Lords in England won't do a,damn thing about it!

vCash
    No. They should be allowed to have a full cost of attendance stipend, to offset the job they cannot have due to sports and make college Free.

And they should be able to major in professional sports if they want (i.e., classes in contract law, Diet, sports injuries, money management, and specialized individual study) I'd model it after the PGM program.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SheltonChoked View Post
    No. They should be allowed to have a full cost of attendance stipend, to offset the job they cannot have due to sports and make college Free.

And they should be able to major in professional sports if they want (i.e., classes in contract law, Diet, sports injuries, money management, and specialized individual study) I'd model it after the PGM program.
    Maybe add those as a minor that could be a subset of a PE degree - at least then those who don't make it would have the ability to get high school coaching gigs.

Dont we already do an athletes life skills course developed with Dave Ramsey??