Thread: Beast's Review of Florida Coastal Cuisine

vCash

Beast's Review of Florida Coastal Cuisine

Just got back from vacation over the weekend and I didn't post much in the Weekend C&D threads because my room was like a bunker with terrible reception. That leads me to the idea of sharing some of the dishes I had with a quick rundown.

First night we walked down to Pier Park which is located right by where we stay. It's touristy down there so the food expectations aren't through the roof by any means. We went to The Back Porch, locations in Destin & PC, and we've never had a bad meal there. Always solid. I was in the mood for something light and got a Blackened Tuna and Shrimp Salad. Came with some grilled peppers and well as some glaze that was sweet. Cucumber ranch for the dressing. It was the best thing I've ever had there. Everything paired just right. A little heat from the blackened seafood, I little sweetness from the peppers and the glaze, and a creamy dressing to tie it all together. Great dish.

Next place we went was Hunt's Oyster Bar. Been here numerous times and it's one of our favorite places in the St Andrews area of PC on the bay. It's family owned and has been open for 60+ years. Great food and it's relatively cheap. We've never been there when it wasn't on a wait. This time we went on Tuesday at 6pm and it was pouring raining. Guess what? An hour wait. That tells you something. I got 3-cheese cajun chargrilled oysters. Legit. For my dinner I got a grouper throat platter. The meat was a little more firm than the filet would be but it was sweet and white as snow. It's was closer in consistency to lump crab meat. Was really good and I didn't mind picking around the bone.

Last edited by BeastMan; 08-17-2016 at 08:04 AM.

vCash
    The next night we went to Uncle Ernie's which is right around the corner from hunt's. Everything in that area is good. This place is really cool because you sit on the deck over the water. Where Hunt's is more come as you are, Ernie's is a little nicer. They also brew their own beer and have 3 or 4 different home brewed crafts. I got the pale ale which was good. For an app we got the crab cake. Awesome presentation and taste.

Next was a salad that was one of the best salads I've had. When it comes to food, I'm not a fufu foodie. I'm more in to good ingredients, paired and prepared right. This salad was a perfect example of simple-yet-elegant things I really like. Romaine was tossed in olive oil, Parmesan cheese, and S &P. Laid over the top of the greens was some great mozzarella, grilled red bells, and fresh tomatoes. It wasn't reinventing the wheel but it was perfect. The salad let the other ingredients do the work. You had the light Parmesan flavor with the greens, slight acidity of the tomato, creaminess of the mozz, and the sweetness of the grilled peppers. Freaking awesome.

For my entree I ordered grilled grouper tacos. Had a tai slaw and sauce. There was a creamy wasabi sauce on the side that balanced the fish and tai element as well as added a little of that nasal heat which I'm a big fan of. It was an interesting cap to a meal where I covered a little of everything. Classic gulf appetizer, Italian salad, and then a tai inspired fish taco. Fusion dining for sure.

Last edited by BeastMan; 08-17-2016 at 09:02 AM.

vCash
    Did the tourist, Pier Park thing one more time. Pompano Joe's is owned by the same people as The Back Porch. It's very similar all the way down to having locations in PC & Destin. I actually like TBP a little more but Joe's has a sandwich I really like. Grilled Grouper Rueben. Haven't seen this anywhere else.

Last edited by BeastMan; 08-17-2016 at 08:07 AM.

vCash
    The last night we went to Captain Anderson's. When it comes to Florida seafood, it's an institution. Huge restaurant that stays on a wait slinging out quality, fresh seafood. As a food bizz guy, I really admire their operation. Started off dinner like you have to at a place like this, with scotch. JW black, splash of soda, and lemon.

Every time I have to get the She-Crab soup. It's awesome. Loaded with big chunks of crab meat. The little splash of sherry on top adds to the flavor. It's more the essence of sherry than anything. Great

Last but not least, the entree. Grilled Scamp Imperial. The Scamp is char-grilled perfectly and then topped with a ton of crab meat and chopped green onion. Also a hearty spooning of melted butter. It's simple and features the favors of fresh gulf seafood. That's what you're paying $35 for. Not some fufu hollandaise or crab cream sauce. Again, my simple yet elegant food preference.

Last edited by BeastMan; 08-17-2016 at 08:08 AM.

vCash
    And last but not least, we hit Lambert's on the way home. Fun place with good food. What I want to brag on them about is from a business standpoint. They don't accept cards. To make that possible, they have an ATM up front. Most people not in the food bizz don't understand how amazing it is they do that and get away with it. When you're that high volume, your credit card process fees go 6 figures. So by not accepting cards, they pocket that. Further, they get every 4 dollar process fee on that ATM if they own it and I'm sure they do. So not only do they skirt the credit card processing fees, they stuff their pocket with ATM fees. Tip of the freaking cap. That's freaking amazing and a huge money maker in itself.

Last edited by BeastMan; 08-17-2016 at 08:09 AM.

vCash
    I'll have to get your restaurant advice next time I'm done there. But the grouper throat, never had it. I keep all the throats off my red snapper. To me, it's the best part of the fish. Was that completely deboned? It seems like that would be hard. I cut mine right underneath the pelvic fin and just leave it all on

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncle Ruckus View Post
    I'll have to get your restaurant advice next time I'm done there. But the grouper throat, never had it. I keep all the throats off my red snapper. To me, it's the best part of the fish. Was that completely deboned? It seems like that would be hard. I cut mine right underneath the pelvic fin and just leave it all on
    No there were bones in there. The meat pulled right off though. Wasn't hard to eat at all

vCash
    Man, I hadn't thought about Capt. Anderson's in ages. Every coast town has that one seafood institution that you have to go to in spite of the wait, and they deliver. Capt. Andersons in PCB, Haymans in Charleston, The Pirate House in Savannah, The Crab Trap on St. Simons Island, - I could go on. I don't like them every meal, but its like old home week anytime we go.

Lambert's is a different beast. I've never been to the one in Foley, but I have been to the original in Sikeston, MO (well, its not the original building, but you know what I mean). Its like you died and went to meat and 3 heaven.

vCash
    We stopped at Lambert's on the way back from OB on Sunday and I told my wife the exact same thing, Beast. They are making a killing with the crowds and no CC fees. It was packed and delicious as usual.