Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016/2017 Premier League Season Thread

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    Boooooooooooooooooooo! ,**** Man U!
    I concur. You just have to be prepared to be the most hated man in this thread.

vCash
    No today's game makes me mad. 2-0 loss to Burnley.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    To follow in the footsteps of Ref and WMD:

ALL HAIL YOUR ZLATAN OVERLORD!!

I've got to say, Man U is a team that I never thought I would find myself attracted to as a fan. But with Newcastle in Championship purgatory, I have been on the hunt for a second team to pull for. It would make sense to pull for the team that has the player who has been my favorite since I first started following the sport, and with the addition of Pogba, Man U is just too damn sexy to resist now. I'm going to give them a shot, at least until Newcastle is back up.

So, as a conflicted and somewhat shameful new Man U supporter, does anyone have any advice on how I'm supposed to think and behave as a fan of a team with a winning tradition and championship expectations on an almost yearly basis? As a State fan, I've conditioned myself to hate any team that is a perennial powerhouse, so this is honestly a completely new experience for me. I'm particularly interested in how to properly look down my nose at all the teams I perceive to be below mine, and when it is appropriate to fall back on success from previous decades when talking trash to an opposing fan, but all advice is appreciated**
    You should be ashamed of yourself. And if you are going to pull for the Mancs get that Newcastle avatar off your posts. No real Newcastle fan would pull for the bloody Mancs.

vCash
    2016: YEAR OF THE TIGERS CONTINUES! Your first place Hull City Tigers disposed of Swansea 2-0 this morning. A late goal from sub Shaun Maloney gave Hull the lead. Abel Hernandez would slam the door firmly shut on the Swans with a stoppage time goal. The guts and heart displayed on the pitch from the Tigers, a team with just 13 fit senior players, should bring a tear to the eye. They battle every step of the way and capitalise when the opportunity presents itself.

ALL HAIL YOUR TIGER OVERLORDS!!!

In Arsenal news, the Gunners drew at nil-nil with our former Fox Overlords. Laurent Koscielny returned to the starting lineup and was a huge defensive presence on the pitch. Youngster Rob Holding started at the other CB spot and continues to impress. Granit Xhaka saw his full debut today as well.

Arsene Wenger continues to prove he's a fossil who is out of touch with the changes to football in general and tied down by an antiquated transfer policy. It's glaringly clear Arsenal need reinforcements at CB and striker, but Wenger refuses to spend the cash necessary to make it happen. He has been snubbed by both Leicester stars this summer when Vardy & Mahrez each opted to sign new extensions. It looked like he had a deal essentially wrapped up for Shkodran Mustafi, but doesn't want to pay 30M for him. Forget the fact Mustafi is widely considered the best German central defender behind Hummels and Boateng. That's too much for Ol' Empty Pockets. And paying 40-60M for a striker like Lacazette or Icardi? This sums Wenger's transfer policy nicely:
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Dang I triggered you guys! In all honesty I was mostly trolling. I do wish I had another team to follow, and if Ibra had gone to any of the traditional powers besides Man U I probably would have been able to jump on their bandwagon while he is there, like I did with PSG, despite my appearant inability to pull for good teams. But with that being said, I am a huge fan of his and want to see him score 35 goals this season. Especially since many English soccer fans have claimed for his entire career that he only has a good goal scoring record because he has been avoiding the PL. So by transitive property I guess I am a Man U fan of sorts. Any chance of me actually beginning to like the club would die when I watch them on TV and see freaking Jose Mourinho on the sideline.

Since this has already blown up in my face, I have the urge to just keep it going for the rest of the season. But being one of about five somewhat consistent participants in this thread, I feel like it would push people away from here, when in reality I wish there was a more activity in the thread.

So, my sincere apologies to all.

To show you where I am as a Newcastle fan, I spent the first 30 minutes of our game this morning searching for an illegal RADIO stream.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    No today's game makes me mad. 2-0 loss to Burnley.
    Bizarre stat line, y'all had 81% possession and 26 shots and lost. Both of their goals were beautiful shots though.

vCash
    Bizarre stat line, y'all had 81% possession and 26 shots and lost. Both of their goals were beautiful shots though.
    I'm worrying about Liverpool's defense. There are moments where it seems like everyone forgets what to do and their solution is to just stop. I'm hoping it is just all the new faces trying to gel and it will right itself after a handful of matches.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    I'm worrying about Liverpool's defense. There are moments where it seems like everyone forgets what to do and their solution is to just stop. I'm hoping it is just all the new faces trying to gel and it will right itself after a handful of matches.
    I thought Matip would jump right into to the back line and be an improvement over Skretle, but he hasn't played a minute yet. Is he overrated in my mind or is he injured/still getting used to the system/having to earn his spot?

vCash
    I thought Matip would jump right into to the back line and be an improvement over Skretle, but he hasn't played a minute yet. Is he overrated in my mind or is he injured/still getting used to the system/having to earn his spot?
    Injured

vCash
    Well 2 games in and Southampton is about where I expected. An opening draw against Watford was disappointing, although the 2nd half was better than the first. The 0-2 loss to United was, sadly, about why I expected. Next game is with Sunderland, and I can only cross my fingers and hope our new manager can get things rolling. We still have some trade rumors; I'm telling you, it seems like the entire team has been sold off or left.

Speaking of Zlatan, did anyone see the Nike commercials with him and Tiny Zlatan? I'm an Adidas fan, but Nike has done some really entertaining commercials.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    . Forget the fact Mustafi is widely considered the best German central defender behind Hummels and Boateng
    Ehhhhh I think you'd be hard pressed to get me to agree there. He'd have a hard time getting in top 5 IMO. No question that Wenger is horrid in the transfer market but I don't think he's making a mistake by not paying 30M for Mustafi. There are a lot of questions about his ability. A lot of pundits don't think he's good enough for Arsenal.

vCash
    In Newcastle/USMNT news, Deandre Yedlin is apparently in Newcastle today to complete a transfer to the Magpies. From a Newcastle perspective, I'm thrilled to have an up and coming US player on the team. I also think he is hardly a step down from Janmaat, the RB he's been signed to replace who's on his way to West Ham.

From a USMNT perspective, IMO this is a pretty good move for him as he will most certainly be the starting RB as soon as he's familiar enough with the team. It will also give him a year to gain experience and improve in the Championship before being relied upon as a Premier League starter again. Whether or not he was already good enough to start for a lower level PL team is certainly up for debate seeing as he finished last year at Sunderland pretty well.

vCash
    I'm getting pretty excited about the imminent arrival of Sofiane Boufal. Problem is, he's injured and not expected to contribute until mid-September. He'll also likely be out for about two months early next year for the African Cup of Nations.

vCash
    Looks like the Cheap One is going to spend some money and fill the glaring holes before the deadline slams shut. Rumours from credible sources have heated up saying there has been a breakthrough with Valencia to sign Shkodran Mustafi. Apparently they'll accept somewhere around 35M quid for him. Wenger also appears to have landed a striker. Lots of credible reports out that the Gunners have hijacked Everton's deal with Deportivo for Lucas Perez. Deportivo will accept a 17M quid bid for Perez, who is said to prefer Arsenal to Everton due to Arsenal being in the UCL. I honestly don't see him as an upgrade on Giroud, but Wenger has an eye for talent. If he nets us 20 goals this year, I'll be thrilled.

Also looks like Hull and West Brom have both agreed to a loan deal for Jay Rodriguez of Southampton. Both clubs are waiting on Rodriguez to decide who he prefers. In possibly the best news for Hull fans, it seems a deal has been reached for the sale of the team to a Chinese group. Unfortunately, it doesn't look like the deal will be finished before the current transfer window slams shut. The EPL's crazy fitness and character criteria are said to be the holdup due to the many tangled business interests of the two main Chinese consortium members. But it appears we finally have #AllamOut, so it's a good day.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    So today we had the UCL draw and Leicester might have had one of the most favorable draws of the tournament for their Group. So we shall see how this effects the PL thoughts of the squad
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Looks like the deals for Mustafi and Perez are either close to done or done. David "The Ornacle" Ornstein is saying both players are scheduled for physicals tomorrow (Friday). When it comes to Arsenal news, The Ornacle is the gold standard for reliability. He doesn't comment on transfer deals regularly, but when he does, it's almost always spot on. Whoever his Arsenal source is, the person is clearly plugged in and feeds great info. I know it's too late for either to be in the squad for Watford this weekend, but I'm really damn excited for fresh blood. Mustafi is a helluva long term signing and The BFG's successor at CB.

vCash
    I'd much rather Jay Rod go to Hull than to a Tony Pulis squad. He might actually have a chance to score some goals up there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by TheRef View Post
    So today we had the UCL draw and Leicester might have had one of the most favorable draws of the tournament for their Group. So we shall see how this effects the PL thoughts of the squad

One of the weakest groups I've ever seen Haha. Couldn't have hand picked a better group for Leicester.

vCash
    http://www.skysports.com/football/ne...uillem-balague

WMD, here's a little on lucas Perez.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DudyDawg View Post
    One of the weakest groups I've ever seen Haha. Couldn't have hand picked a better group for Leicester.
    I'm so happy to see it happen, however. We will face one of the old hands in FC Porto.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner