Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
Ranieri sacked by Leicester City. WOW. Catching lightning in a bottle last year counts for nothing this year I guess. You really can't blame Leicester though. They are squarely in the relegation battle.
I'm not a Leicester fan, but I've got really mixed emotions about the firing. Part of me thinks Ranieri should have been given the full season based on what he did over the last 18 months there. He saved them from relegation two seasons ago then won the title last year. They're fighting against relegation now, but that isn't entirely Ranieri's fault. Ownership sold N'Golo Kante to Chelsea, and he's arguably a Top 5 player in the world. Losing someone like that disproportionately hurts a small club like Leicester. That said, they were damned if the kept Kante against his will.

At the same time, I admire the balls to make the move. Sacking the guy who basically did the impossible over 18 months is ruthless, but if you don't think he will get the job done, why keep him? From that aspect, I like Leicester having the guts to take the heat and make a hard call. As an Arsenal fan, I envy ownership that has balls to make a hard decision for better or worse. Our ownership will just keep letting Wenger make the decision for them when they should be making the tough call. But that's a totally different discussion.