Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016/2017 Premier League Season Thread

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash

2016/2017 Premier League Season Thread

HERE WE GO, BOYS. Your Leicester City Overlords look to defend our fantastic title run as we have the gold patch on our kits. Our first match of the fresh season will be against the Hull City Tigers at Hull. Needless to say, with our only loss being midfielder N'Golo Kante, I wouldn't say that we aren't prepared for a Top-6 run again. ALL HAIL YOUR LEICESTER CITY OVERLORDS
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Excited to see how Liverpool does after an offseason with Klopp leading the way. I liked the roster changes for the most part.

This should be a real interesting season. I don't think anyone made moves that resulted in any one team looking like they are head and shoulders above the league. Leicester, Man U, Man C, Spurs, Arsenal, and even my Reds could make a play for the top of the table.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BrunswickDawg View Post
    This should be a real interesting season. I don't think anyone made moves that resulted in any one team looking like they are head and shoulders above the league. Leicester, Man U, Man C, Spurs, Arsenal, and even my Reds could make a play for the top of the table.
    Very true. No one has pulled in talent that will clearly set them apart this season. It'll definitely be interesting to see how it goes this season. Add in the fact that Leicester is playing in its first UCL, the conditioning of Leicester will be brought into question
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Excited to see how Liverpool does after an offseason with Klopp leading the way. I liked the roster changes for the most part.

We need a left back, and we need one bad.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I wish yall hadn't gotten Sadio Mane from us. I saw that he's already scored a goal for you though.

I've been a bit disappointed in Southampton's off season. Several big departures and not so much in the way of incoming names. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I expect a mid-table year at best for the Saints.

vCash
    The premier league will be better viewing as a whole this year. A nice amount of talent made the move into England and should make for better viewing (coaching talent as well as players), although no one added so much talent that they pulled away. Should be pretty open for the 6 or so teams that can win it

vCash
    We need one too. Race for ricardo rodriguez?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgHouseUnited View Post
    I wish yall hadn't gotten Sadio Mane from us. I saw that he's already scored a goal for you though.

I've been a bit disappointed in Southampton's off season. Several big departures and not so much in the way of incoming names. Maybe I'm being pessimistic, but I expect a mid-table year at best for the Saints.
    Not trying to be rude but what else would you expect from Southampton

vCash
    The new season starts in just about 12 hours! Hull has no coach, just 13 healthy senior players, shitty owners who won't spend and are apparently being too greedy in their sales demands, and the fans are planning a protest demonstration for the opener. Arsenal hasn't upgraded striker, we're really damn thin at the back, Wenger says he only focused on adding a new CB, and Wenger's still whining about player price inflation. Yep, I'm gonna go hang myself now.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    The new season starts in just about 12 hours! Hull has no coach, just 13 healthy senior players, shitty owners who won't spend and are apparently being too greedy in their sales demands, and the fans are planning a protest demonstration for the opener. Arsenal hasn't upgraded striker, we're really damn thin at the back, Wenger says he only focused on adding a new CB, and Wenger's still whining about player price inflation. Yep, I'm gonna go hang myself now.
    Well, Hull is playing like a team in a mission at least 70 minutes in. If they hold up their 2-1 lead, the Foxes may be in for a bad start to their defense of the cup.

vCash
    2016, YEAR OF YOUR TIGER OVERLORDS!!!!! A depleted Hull team in disarray knocks off defending champs Leicester in the Premier League opener 2-1. Goals from Adama Diomande & Robert Snodgrass did the trick for your Tiger Overlords.

The Foxes lone goal came from a penalty shot by Riyad Mahrez. A horrendous call by the ref provided Mahrez the opportunity, as Tom Huddlestone fouled a Fox about a yard outside the penalty area. Ref awarded the penalty believing it was inside the box. Seriously, when will instant replay for easy things like that make it to soccer? They could check that in less than a minute, get it right, and not really extend the game at all.

ALL HAIL YOUR TIGER OVERLORDS!!!!! (Likely the only time this season I'll get to say that. Might as well enjoy it while I can.)
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    2016, YEAR OF YOUR TIGER OVERLORDS!!!!! A depleted Hull team in disarray knocks off defending champs Leicester in the Premier League opener 2-1. Goals from Adama Diomande & Robert Snodgrass did the trick for your Tiger Overlords.

The Foxes lone goal came from a penalty shot by Riyad Mahrez. A horrendous call by the ref provided Mahrez the opportunity, as Tom Huddlestone fouled a Fox about a yard outside the penalty area. Ref awarded the penalty believing it was inside the box. Seriously, when will instant replay for easy things like that make it to soccer? They could check that in less than a minute, get it right, and not really extend the game at all.

ALL HAIL YOUR TIGER OVERLORDS!!!!! (Likely the only time this season I'll get to say that. Might as well enjoy it while I can.)
    I have to say, well played by the Tigers on this one. Hull City is showing pretty promising signs thus far. Then again, you never know how the season will end up at all. Enjoy the win, WMD.
    c/o 2015
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Ibra looked like a boss today. I'm looking forward to him silencing his critics this season.

vCash
    I didn't get to see it but that was a great win for Liverpool this morning. I didn't expect to get three points from that fixture.

vCash
    I didn't get to see it but that was a great win for Liverpool this morning. I didn't expect to get three points from that fixture.
    It's a match that would have pissed you off. The Reds started slow, and played bad defense and committed some stupid penalties. Right before half they came alive and scored an equalizer. Second half they came out with their hair on fire and scored three quick goals, then backed off and played stupid again. I'll take the points and road win and chalk it up to having so many new faces. Klopp definitely brings it, and the style play is so much better than when Rodgers was leading them.

vCash
    It's a match that would have pissed you off. The Reds started slow, and played bad defense and committed some stupid penalties. Right before half they came alive and scored an equalizer. Second half they came out with their hair on fire and scored three quick goals, then backed off and played stupid again. I'll take the points and road win and chalk it up to having so many new faces. Klopp definitely brings it, and the style play is so much better than when Rodgers was leading them.
    I doubt it would have pissed me off. They beat Arsenal on the road, I'll take that no matter how it happened.

vCash
    Chelsea begins their BPL season tomorrow against West Ham United. It's going to be another interesting season for the Blues with the biggest addition being the Italian Coach Antonio Conte. Chelsea is basically hoping that Belgian stars Eden Hazard and goalkeeper Thibaut Courtois return to form. Conte will experiment early on with the backline trying to figure out if he should have 3 or 4 defenders. Chelsea also have several young and/or inexperienced BPL players that showed promise in the preseason, so I expect to see many different lineups -- especially if things go sour from the start. However, I expect the Blues to play with more passion and a sense of urgency this season. I expect Chelsea to finish in the top-6 fighting for a top 4 spot for a return to the Champions League.

vCash
    Liverpool Arsenal was outstanding

vCash
    To follow in the footsteps of Ref and WMD:

ALL HAIL YOUR ZLATAN OVERLORD!!

I've got to say, Man U is a team that I never thought I would find myself attracted to as a fan. But with Newcastle in Championship purgatory, I have been on the hunt for a second team to pull for. It would make sense to pull for the team that has the player who has been my favorite since I first started following the sport, and with the addition of Pogba, Man U is just too damn sexy to resist now. I'm going to give them a shot, at least until Newcastle is back up.

So, as a conflicted and somewhat shameful new Man U supporter, does anyone have any advice on how I'm supposed to think and behave as a fan of a team with a winning tradition and championship expectations on an almost yearly basis? As a State fan, I've conditioned myself to hate any team that is a perennial powerhouse, so this is honestly a completely new experience for me. I'm particularly interested in how to properly look down my nose at all the teams I perceive to be below mine, and when it is appropriate to fall back on success from previous decades when talking trash to an opposing fan, but all advice is appreciated**

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    To follow in the footsteps of Ref and WMD:

ALL HAIL YOUR ZLATAN OVERLORD!!

I've got to say, Man U is a team that I never thought I would find myself attracted to as a fan. But with Newcastle in Championship purgatory, I have been on the hunt for a second team to pull for. It would make sense to pull for the team that has the player who has been my favorite since I first started following the sport, and with the addition of Pogba, Man U is just too damn sexy to resist now. I'm going to give them a shot, at least until Newcastle is back up.

So, as a conflicted and somewhat shameful new Man U supporter, does anyone have any advice on how I'm supposed to think and behave as a fan of a team with a winning tradition and championship expectations on an almost yearly basis? As a State fan, I've conditioned myself to hate any team that is a perennial powerhouse, so this is honestly a completely new experience for me. I'm particularly interested in how to properly look down my nose at all the teams I perceive to be below mine, and when it is appropriate to fall back on success from previous decades when talking trash to an opposing fan, but all advice is appreciated**
    Boooooooooooooooooooo! ,**** Man U!