Page 6 of 9 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Thread: 2016/2017 Premier League Season Thread

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Well....in UCL action, the Foxes have become the first team to clinch 3rd place in their Group and qualify for Europa. 3 out of 3 wins for the Foxes, and we head to FC Copenhagen next time.

However, in Premier League action, the Foxes haven't exactly been the best. We dropped a 0-3 decision against Chelski. We are currently in the 13 slot of the Table, and Raineri is NOT happy at all.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    Barca beat City today. Messi got a hat trick I believe. I didn't get to watch it but it sounds like they had their way with Man City. Arsenal did too, looking at the fixtures.

vCash
    This season has been great so far, and the storylines and potential for a tight race at the top are setting us (or at least me) up for a very entertaining season.

Man City is the only team that I think is capable of running away with the title, but they have suddenly looked vulnerable the past few games and no better than the other teams in the top 4.

Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool have all looked great and have been a lot of fun to watch.

Chelsea is lurking right behind the top 4 and haven't seemed to come up to full force yet.

Man U is floundering. Will they be able to finish in the top 4? And what will happen if Jose isn't able to achieve that despite all the huge signings made in the summer.

Can Everton stay hot and potentially compete for a Champions League spot?

Can West Ham right the ship, or will the implosion continue?

And suddenly Swansea City is everyone's 2nd favorite team in the league with Bob Bradley at the helm.

Maybe it's because I don't have to watch Newcastle wallowing in the relegation zone this season, but I've had more fun watching games this season than ever before.

vCash
    I'm cautiously optimistic about Liverpool so far. I'm certainly excited to be where we are after the schedule we had to start the season. I still think we are a couple of players short of what we need to win it though. I've been supporting Liverpool for at least 20 years now. During that time I've seen them win both major European competitions. I've seen them win both domestic cups multiple times. They have won the league 18 times but the last time was 4-5 years before I discovered them. I've never seen them do it. That's the one I, and I think every Red on the planet, want. I think we WILL get it under Klopp. He is the first Liverpool manager since I've been able to follow them really close that has a system and insists that the system comes first, not the player. That's the way forward for a club that isn't one of the 7 or 8 or so that can just go out and buy a title. Shanks must be smiling.

I think the next big step for us needs to be cashing in on Sturrige while we still can. It's becoming increasingly obvious that he doesn't really fit the system. Sell him and get another forward that does. We might even have enough left over to go get a real left back, although Milner is doing much better than I ever thought he would there.

vCash
    Arsenal murdered Ludogorets in the UCL 6-0 behind Mesut Ozil's hat trick. It's his first as a Gunner. Surprisingly, Wenger fielded almost the entire 1A starting 11 with the exceptions of Ox for Iwobi and Coquelin for Xhaka. I was really hoping we'd use the opportunity to get a start and full 90 from some other players like Lucas Perez.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Arsenal murdered Ludogorets in the UCL 6-0 behind Mesut Ozil's hat trick. It's his first as a Gunner. Surprisingly, Wenger fielded almost the entire 1A starting 11 with the exceptions of Ox for Iwobi and Coquelin for Xhaka. I was really hoping we'd use the opportunity to get a start and full 90 from some other players like Lucas Perez.
    What, Wenger doesn't follow the 1a/1b philosophy? ***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I'm cautiously optimistic about Liverpool so far. I'm certainly excited to be where we are after the schedule we had to start the season. I still think we are a couple of players short of what we need to win it though. I've been supporting Liverpool for at least 20 years now. During that time I've seen them win both major European competitions. I've seen them win both domestic cups multiple times. They have won the league 18 times but the last time was 4-5 years before I discovered them. I've never seen them do it. That's the one I, and I think every Red on the planet, want. I think we WILL get it under Klopp. He is the first Liverpool manager since I've been able to follow them really close that has a system and insists that the system comes first, not the player. That's the way forward for a club that isn't one of the 7 or 8 or so that can just go out and buy a title. Shanks must be smiling.

I think the next big step for us needs to be cashing in on Sturrige while we still can. It's becoming increasingly obvious that he doesn't really fit the system. Sell him and get another forward that does. We might even have enough left over to go get a real left back, although Milner is doing much better than I ever thought he would there.
    I don't think they have the guns to do it this season either. But I've thoroughly enjoyed watching them. I would definitely sell Sturridge, he doesn't fit on Klopp's team strategically or philosophically. But there's plenty of teams that would love to have him and would pay a nice fee for him.

vCash
    I've never been a big fan of sturridge. He's got talent, but isn't good enough off the ball. He doesnt work hard enough making runs to get his wingers open and doesn't press high enough. Not to mention his injuries. I like Origi more bc of his work rate and youth. Sell sturridge and get a couple fullbacks and an out and out winger and I think they can push for the title next year. You'll need to stay top 4 this year though if you want to get the talent you'll need to win the Prem.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    This season has been great so far, and the storylines and potential for a tight race at the top are setting us (or at least me) up for a very entertaining season.

Man City is the only team that I think is capable of running away with the title, but they have suddenly looked vulnerable the past few games and no better than the other teams in the top 4.

Tottenham, Arsenal and Liverpool have all looked great and have been a lot of fun to watch.

Chelsea is lurking right behind the top 4 and haven't seemed to come up to full force yet.

Man U is floundering. Will they be able to finish in the top 4? And what will happen if Jose isn't able to achieve that despite all the huge signings made in the summer.

Can Everton stay hot and potentially compete for a Champions League spot?

Can West Ham right the ship, or will the implosion continue?

And suddenly Swansea City is everyone's 2nd favorite team in the league with Bob Bradley at the helm.

Maybe it's because I don't have to watch Newcastle wallowing in the relegation zone this season, but I've had more fun watching games this season than ever before.
    I think this year will be between city, arsenal, and maybe Chelsea if Conte can get it going. The talent at ManU top to bottom is still pretty EHH. Other than pogba, and ibra who is a stop gap, there isn't much world class talent.

As far as Europe goes, city kind of backed into the semi finals of the CL last year and added some talent, but they still lack the speed (especially at fullback) to compete in European football at the top level. And they are really the best suited for European football of any english side, So I don't think england is going to have much continental for a few more years.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgHouseUnited View Post
    What, Wenger doesn't follow the 1a/1b philosophy? ***
    Genuine LOL. That was good, DHU. It just sucks he wasted an opportunity to rest some guys like Alexis, Ozil, and Cazorla while giving some invaluable game time to Lucas, Elneny, Holding, JEFF, etc.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DudyDawg View Post
    I think this year will be between city, arsenal, and maybe Chelsea if Conte can get it going. The talent at ManU top to bottom is still pretty EHH. Other than pogba, and ibra who is a stop gap, there isn't much world class talent.
    I think Tottenham added enough quality depth to have a chance to compete this season too. They ran out of gas last season playing their aggresive press all the time.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by WeWonItAll(Most) View Post
    I think Tottenham added enough quality depth to have a chance to compete this season too. They ran out of gas last season playing their aggresive press all the time.
    I disagree, although they did add depth. I think they are weak on the wings and still too young at key places. When you're young like that, you tend to drop points to teams you shouldn't once or twice when you absolutely can't afford it. That, and besides Dele Alli and Son (I think he will cool off) I don't think they have the creativity when teams pack it in consistently. But we will see. I think the whole team is basically like Moussa Sissokho- loads of talent that can completely disappear for long stretches
    Last edited by DudyDawg; 10-21-2016 at 01:34 PM.

vCash
    2-1 over West Brom. It should have been 4-5 for Liverpool. We missed a chance to go top temporarily by letting in that garbage goal. Still, level on points with Arsenal at the top for tonight! On to the next one!
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 10-22-2016 at 02:04 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DudyDawg View Post
    I disagree, although they did add depth. I think they are weak on the wings and still too young at key places. When you're young like that, you tend to drop points to teams you shouldn't once or twice when you absolutely can't afford it. That, and besides Dele Alli and Son (I think he will cool off) I don't think they have the creativity when teams pack it in consistently. But we will see. I think the whole team is basically like Moussa Sissokho- loads of talent that can completely disappear for long stretches
    I haven't seen them play enough to too much vouch for them. But if they're a team of Sissokos then they won't come close. The $30 mil transfer fee Tottenham payed us for him was extortion.

vCash
    Chelsea 4 Man United 0. Double whammy today for Mourinho as it's clear he has yet to figure out the mess in Manchester and it looks like Conte has figured out the one he left behind. Absolute thrashing today.

In other news, Real Madrid beat Athletic Bilbao 2-1 and moves to the top of the table. Haven't won the league in a few years and the players say that is the focus this year. Good start!

vCash
    On to the next one! You Will Never Walk Alone!

vCash
    On to the next one! You Will Never Walk Alone!
    Watched the first 25 or 30 minutes before heading to the junction. About as exciting a ten minute or so stretch as you get in soccer. Lovren with instant redemption. Love or hate Liverpool, these past couple years they've been playing a lot of enjoyable games.

vCash
    Liverpool go TOP!!!!!!! 6-1 over Watford today.
    Last edited by Liverpooldawg; 11-06-2016 at 11:21 AM.

vCash
    Liverpool go TOP!!!!!!! 6-1 over Watford today.
    Outstanding start. If Liverpool can stay healthy they have as good a shot as anyone right now. Offense is outstanding

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    Ughhh...we lost 2-1 to the baggies. Disappointing loss. Raineri had a dumbass move in taking Musa out right when he was starting to beat the FB. Just absolutely stunning.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner