Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: OM banned a booster for a racist outburst but not really

vCash

OM banned a booster for a racist outburst but not really

Here is a Sports Illustrated story on a Ole Miss guy named Brad Lott who was banned by the universi-tah for a very public racist burst during the Egg Bowl. I've taken liberty to censor the n-word and for some emphasis in bold.

http://www.si.com/vault/1996/12/16/2...rwandan-runner

THE SOUND, THE FURY

The racist outburst on Nov. 30 by former Mississippi state senator Brad Lott would have sent shock waves regardless of where it had occurred or who had screamed the words. That the tirade came from a prominent Mississippian during an Ole Miss football game at the Oxford campus made the incident all themore disturbing.

With 45 seconds left in Mississippi State's 17-0 win over Mississippi, Lott, 33, who served in the legislature from 1992 until last January, descended from the stands to a fence 20 yards from the field. For nearly a minute he screamed furiously at State nose guard Eric Dotson, cursing him and threatening to"get" him. He repeatedly called Dotson "n*****."

Lott's racist rage was apparently ignited by a 1994 NCAA investigation during which Dotson, a recruit from Pascagoula High, said that Lott, a zealous Ole Miss booster, had given him free meals and car rides. The allegations are one reason that Mississippi is in the midst of a four-year probation and lost 24 scholarships in '95 and '96.

In the face of public outcry, Lott last Saturday resigned his seat on the board of the Jackson County Port Authority. For itspart, Ole Miss has formally disassociated itself from Lott. "We won't accept money from him, we won't communicate with him,"says Mississippi athletic director Pete Boone. "It's frustrating because we've come so far, and then an isolated incident makes people recall the racism in our history."

Even now, Ole Miss has a reputation for hostility toward blacks."I'd never been called the n word until we played there," says Dotson. "At the [Nov. 30] game I saw a woman in the stands making ape gestures and pig noises at the black players."

The Confederate flag is still waved by many fans at Mississippigames, and the school mascot is a goateed white man called Colonel Rebel. "Only a child could do what Lott did, so I don'ttake him seriously," says Dotson. "And I feel sorry for some ofthe people at Ole Miss because there are good people there. But in 1992 I came to a game there when I was thinking about signing with Mississippi. An Ole Miss player fumbled and somebody in the stands shouted, 'Get that n***** out of the game.' I knew Icould never go to that school."
    OK, side note - 24 scholarships over 2 years. Interesting.

Anyway...Good for Ole Miss on disassociating Brad Lott and vowing not to accept money from him or communicate with him.

OR DID THEY?

Here's a 2014 photo with Ross Bjork:

Another at a university related function in 2013:

Does anybody know the back story between the mid 90's and now? Was he really disassociated? Is there a time limit on disassociation? Does the current administration know the terms on which Pete Boone says Ole Miss and Brad Lott parted ways?

vCash
    This Daily Journal article places Lott at a Ole Miss - LSU football game in 2004. Article says he fought a newspaper editor as they were leaving VHS in Oxford.

http://djournal.com/news/lott-found-guilty/

Are disassociated people allowed to attend football games?

vCash

That SI article doesn't tell the half of it

I was working as a sports photographer/reporter for WLBT in 1996 and caught the whole thing on tape. We aired it the following night on Sports Journal. Lott called the station that afternoon, knowing we had the footage. He talked to me and BEGGED us not to show the footage.

His exact words to Dotson were: "I got your f***ing money, Ni**er!" He yelled this over and over and over. Was obviously drunk out of his mind. Dotson was just smiling and laughing at him. I did archive the footage onto a master tape in '96. I'm sure it's still around. I could probably get a copy of it if we ever need it for "promotional" purposes.

vCash
    NOA 3?

vCash

This is the kind of thing

Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post
    Here is a Sports Illustrated story on a Ole Miss guy named Brad Lott who was banned by the universi-tah for a very public racist burst during the Egg Bowl. I've taken liberty to censor the n-word and for some emphasis in bold.

Anyway...Good for Ole Miss on disassociating Brad Lott and vowing not to accept money from him or communicate with him.

OR DID THEY?

Does anybody know the back story between the mid 90's and now? Was he really disassociated? Is there a time limit on disassociation? Does the current administration know the terms on which Pete Boone says Ole Miss and Brad Lott parted ways?
    That needs to be brought to the attention of Sports Illustrated who has a vested interest in the story. At the end of the day Ole Miss doesn't care who they have to play with to get power, money, and prestige. If this was one of our boosters I can almost assure you that Ole Miss fans and media would be pushing it everywhere and the CL would run a front page story on it. We have this low hanging fruit to work with and can't/don't do anything with it.

Good work on finding this stuff, PI. Nice investigation!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg34 View Post
    NOA 3?
    Haha

vCash
    When a booster is disassociated is it generally for a certain time frame or forever?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by PassInterference View Post

OR DID THEY?

This occured when the egg bowl was played in Jackson many years ago. Trent Lotts brother. He is a racist at the end of the day and his brother made a compliment about a retiring senator who was a KKK member at one time. Runs in the family.

vCash
    Aside from the athletic ramifications I'm pissed that a person like this was a LAWMAKER.

But then again that is the OM culture: if you have enough money, know the right people, or occupy the right positions then you can do whatever you want to. They extend this culture to young impressionable football players and their families and it is a hit. Everyone wants to be an insider. Everyone wants to be untouchable.

But this culture is what is eventually going to get OM the death penalty. Maybe not right now but no one believes that sanctions is going to stop them from cheating. It is so ingrained in them that they will still have boosters that ignore the warnings and cheat anyway.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Corn Bread View Post
    This occured when the egg bowl was played in Jackson many years ago. Trent Lotts brother. He is a racist at the end of the day and his brother made a compliment about a retiring senator who was a KKK member at one time. Runs in the family.
    That happened in Oxford.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dawgology View Post
    That needs to be brought to the attention of Sports Illustrated who has a vested interest in the story. At the end of the day Ole Miss doesn't care who they have to play with to get power, money, and prestige. If this was one of our boosters I can almost assure you that Ole Miss fans and media would be pushing it everywhere and the CL would run a front page story on it. We have this low hanging fruit to work with and can't/don't do anything with it.

Good work on finding this stuff, PI. Nice investigation!
    Does Bjerk still have a Twitter acct? If so we all need to send him that picture and ask why he associates with disassociated boosters. Tag the NCAA in the post as well ole miss football!

vCash
    This happened in Oxford. The last egg bowl played in Jackson was 1990. Also, another thing to keep in mind, if Brad Lott is the brother of Trent Lott, then he would be somewhat connected to Dickie Scruggs. Trent Lott is Dickie Scruggs brother in law. Interesting why he is still associated. Man I wish Sports Illustrated would run an update on this and prove to the world that OM lies, like it's still some doubt about that. Every recruit needs to see and read this article and see
    What OM condones.
    Last edited by Bodaski; 07-27-2016 at 08:19 AM.

vCash
    I wonder if Bjork knows the story?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bodaski View Post
    This happened in Oxford. The last egg bowl played in Jackson was 1990. Also, another thing to keep in mind, if Brad Lott is the brother of Trent Lott, then he would be somewhat connected to Dickie Scruggs. Trent Lott is Dickie Scruggs brother in law. Interesting why he is still associated. Man I wish Sports Illustrated would run an update on this and prove to the world that OM lies, like it's still some doubt about that. Every recruit needs to see and read this article and see
    What OM condones.
    Sorry about that location. There is a vedio of Lott dropping the N bomb.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by dawg93 View Post
    I was working as a sports photographer/reporter for WLBT in 1996 and caught the whole thing on tape. We aired it the following night on Sports Journal. Lott called the station that afternoon, knowing we had the footage. He talked to me and BEGGED us not to show the footage.

His exact words to Dotson were: "I got your f***ing money, Ni**er!" He yelled this over and over and over. Was obviously drunk out of his mind. Dotson was just smiling and laughing at him. I did archive the footage onto a master tape in '96. I'm sure it's still around. I could probably get a copy of it if we ever need it for "promotional" purposes.
    Crunchy Mike Lott

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BossDawg View Post
    I wonder if Bjork knows the story?
    Of course he does- it's a culture of non-compliance. Example after example keeps coming out

vCash
    It was in Oxford and I'm pretty sure it was 98 and that win clinched our trip to Atlanta which is why he went bat **** crazy, lol. I was there, was anybody else? After the game SomeOM douche was in the stands yelling at all using the eastside to get the **** ot of his stadium while we hung around and soaked it all in. Good times!

I never understood the pig noises thing from the lady. Was a white cop with Dotson? For security maybe?

vCash
    If anyone thinks UM will stop what they are doing because they go on probation they are nuts. That includes the NCAA.

vCash
    Whoa now!! Don't revise history. Robert Byrd was a Democratic Sentor from West Virginia and was a known and admitted KKK member in his early 20's, not Strom Thurmond who Sen Lott made his remarks about. His remarks was flippant about if everyone had voted for Thurmond in his bid for presidency (which was when Thurmond was a democrat in that primary in 1948 I believe) and his only real run. In no way was those comments meant that he agreed with Thrumond's views as a segregationist during the 40-60's and nobody has ever legitimately alleged Thurmond was a member of the KKK and actually was one of the first senators from the south (from either party) to hire black aides at the Senate office. Not to mentioned his own mixed raced daughter he had and supported from an affair in the 40's. Yes he was a segregationist and like for many southern politicians during that time that automatically became a blanket term for racists. And rightfully so to a degree because there were many who were segregationists and racists. Many automatically throw Thurmond in that category but not until he left the Dem party did the that party push that he was a racists and had trouble making those claims stick because so many of his constituents never believed that agenda. Sorry for calling you out but can't let incorrect historical statements go.

vCash
    Are disassociated people allowed to attend football games?[/QUOTE]

I've been told the car dealer from Tupelo that's been disassociated still attends football games...has someone else buy him tickets, but he puts up all the money. I was also told that he's done that for the past couple of years.