Thread: Renfroe called up?

vCash

Renfroe called up?

Padres just trades Upton. Could this be Renfoe's chance?

vCash
    Could be. They may hold off a month till September though

vCash
    If not it will be because of money... Just like the Drays did with Price.. not sure how it works but guaranteed money is involved or something if high draft picks are called up before a certain date...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by mic View Post
    If not it will be because of money... Just like the Drays did with Price.. not sure how it works but guaranteed money is involved or something if high draft picks are called up before a certain date...
    I think his date for that has already passed. I expect him to get called up.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by RAYn_Man View Post
    I think his date for that has already passed. I expect him to get called up.
    This. There is no penalty in bringing him up now versus September. If you don't bring him up now, you may as well wait till May of 2017.

Here is how it works:

1. When drafted players are signed, teams control their minor league rights for 6 years.

2. Once called up to the big leagues, the player's service time begins. Teams control players for 6 years before free agency.

3. If a team waits to call up a player until 2 weeks- a month after the start of the season, that season doesn't count as a "complete" season and the team essentially has control over the player for an additional year. 7 years instead of 6 before the player is eligible for free agency.

4. Players are eligible for salary arbitration after their 3rd MLB season, but, if a player is called up before mid- Mayish, he can be eligible for "Super 2" status which allows him to become arbitration eligible before completing 3 full years of service time.

That's the simplistic version. Since Mid- May has already passed, the Padres would only gain a service time and financial advantage by delaying Renfro's call up till after mid-May 2017 and, since that doesn't make any sense, I expect them to call him up.

vCash
    Isn't there something that also stipulates how many times you can be called up before something kicks in? I know this is a simplified way of explaining, but it's to protect a player from being called up for 10 days, sent down, called up, sent down, etc.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    This. There is no penalty in bringing him up now versus September. If you don't bring him up now, you may as well wait till May of 2017.

Here is how it works:

1. When drafted players are signed, teams control their minor league rights for 6 years.

2. Once called up to the big leagues, the player's service time begins. Teams control players for 6 years before free agency.

3. If a team waits to call up a player until 2 weeks- a month after the start of the season, that season doesn't count as a "complete" season and the team essentially has control over the player for an additional year. 7 years instead of 6 before the player is eligible for free agency.

4. Players are eligible for salary arbitration after their 3rd MLB season, but, if a player is called up before mid- Mayish, he can be eligible for "Super 2" status which allows him to become arbitration eligible before completing 3 full years of service time.

That's the simplistic version. Since Mid- May has already passed, the Padres would only gain a service time and financial advantage by delaying Renfro's call up till after mid-May 2017 and, since that doesn't make any sense, I expect them to call him up.

I'm glad the MLB rules aren't complicated

vCash
    They are actually calling up Margot instead from what I've heard.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by KB21 View Post
    They are actually calling up Margot instead from what I've heard.
    Actually makes sense as he is possibly their future CF which they need that ability with the loss of Upton. But Renfroe won't stay down much longer with the way he is raking in AAA. Just killing the ball right now.

vCash
    Margot -- .306/.356/.434 24 SB
    Renfroe -- .331/.356/.607

Margot is 21
    Hunter is 24

Margot does play a premium position in cf

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Actually makes sense as he is possibly their future CF which they need that ability with the loss of Upton. But Renfroe won't stay down much longer with the way he is raking in AAA. Just killing the ball right now.
    Bj has been a corner outfielder this year I believe.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by msstate7 View Post
    Bj has been a corner outfielder this year I believe.
    That's true. He has only played like 11 games in CF this year. 63 last year. But Jay is on the DL and Jankowski is not an everyday CF. Margot gives them more flexibility for their OF rotation.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by gtowndawg View Post
    Isn't there something that also stipulates how many times you can be called up before something kicks in? I know this is a simplified way of explaining, but it's to protect a player from being called up for 10 days, sent down, called up, sent down, etc.
    There are two rules:

1. When a Major Leaguer is sent down to the Minor Leagues, he must stay there for at least 10 days. This is to prevent teams from expanding their roster by sending the previous night's starting pitcher to the minor leagues for the 4 days between his starts.

2. Every player has 3 option years. Once called up to the Major Leagues and "optioned" to the minor leagues 1 time, that entire year is considered an "option year" and the team can send the player back and forth as many times as they want. Once a player has been through this for 3 years, he is designated "out of options". Upon earning this designation, in order for said player to be sent down to the minor leagues he must be "designated for assignment" and pass through waivers. After he passes through waivers, he can either accept the assignment or immediately become a free agent.

vCash
    They are trying to find someone to take Matt Kemp off their hands. If that happens, Hunter will get called up.