Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the word on Dontavian Lee?

vCash

Whats the word on Dontavian Lee?

We have a RB that has looked to be the best we have at times. Rumors have been that he hasnt done what it takes in the classroom and off the field to get his playing time. Yet he is still on board heading into the Fall. Could he be the breakout RB this season? Could the maturity finally kick in? That would be a big help to one of the most questionable positions on this team

vCash
    Heard somewhere he has a minor injury. First I heard about grades or anything else.

vCash
    I went to a spring practice. He looked disinterested to me. Like he just didn't care. Kinda just going through the motions.

Aeris looked much better. He looked like a man trying to take a job away from Holloway or Shumpert or whoever. He was much improved. He ran with some urgency.

Disclosure: I only watched one practice.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    D Lee is a cast & on a scooter right now.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post
    I went to a spring practice. He looked disinterested to me. Like he just didn't care. Kinda just going through the motions.

Aeris looked much better. He looked like a man trying to take a job away from Holloway or Shumpert or whoever. He was much improved. He ran with some urgency.

If he had been going through the motions all Spring, I have a hard time believing he would still be on the roster. We know R-Fr get slowly worked into the fold by Mullen- so I dont expect anything from the new guys early. So its Holloway, Shump, Williams, and Lee until the trust to pass block is there for the newbies

vCash
    Lee was ahead of everyone last season, and could have helped us at times. However, he played by far the least amount of snaps.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bothrops View Post
    Lee was ahead of everyone last season, and could have helped us at times. However, he played by far the least amount of snaps.
    I hope that changes. I would love to see Lee emerge as the primary back with Holloway playing scat and splitting out to slot. Shumpert should play some type of H-back or fullback.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    This may be off topic but I found this quote from Keith Mixon intriguing. It seems that Mullen is still looking for that Percy Harvey type talent.

“Right now, coach Mullen just wants me to learn slot receiver,” Mixon said. “Then as I get older and more mature, I’m going to learn running back so they can motion me into the backfield. There will be some packages where I’ll motion into the backfield and run out of the backfield like Gabe (Myles) and Fred Ross.”

I think that Dear and Holloway are the primaries at this position right now. But like he said Gabe and Fred Ross get some opportunities to run from the backfield from time to time too.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    This may be off topic but I found this quote from Keith Mixon intriguing. It seems that Mullen is still looking for that Percy Harvey type talent.

?Right now, coach Mullen just wants me to learn slot receiver,? Mixon said. ?Then as I get older and more mature, I?m going to learn running back so they can motion me into the backfield. There will be some packages where I?ll motion into the backfield and run out of the backfield like Gabe (Myles) and Fred Ross.?

I think that Dear and Holloway are the primaries at this position right now. But like he said Gabe and Fred Ross get some opportunities to run from the backfield from time to time too.
    Keith Mixon will be a big time player for us, take that to the bank. I think he probably could have played last year.

vCash
    A lot of talent but can't stay out of the doghouse. He's a big body power back we haven't had. I don't think he's the answer to our offensive backfield by any means but if he'll do right, he could make a positive impact.
    Last edited by BeastMan; 07-25-2016 at 12:07 PM.

vCash
    Fully expect aeris to take the reins of RB

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Fully expect aeris to take the reins of RB
    Not trying to start an argument or fight but what did A Williams do last season that has you thinking he is about to take the reigns at RB???? Last season he looked like a tweener to me, not big or powerful enough to get the 3rd & short or 4th and 1 and not fast enough to get outside. I just was not impressed with him last season. Hopefully I am wrong about him and our talent at the RB position overall, which appears to be thin and lacking a true stud RB like AD, JRob, Ballard, etc

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by biggun View Post
    Not trying to start an argument or fight but what did A Williams do last season that has you thinking he is about to take the reigns at RB???? Last season he looked like a tweener to me, not big or powerful enough to get the 3rd & short or 4th and 1 and not fast enough to get outside. I just was not impressed with him last season. Hopefully I am wrong about him and our talent at the RB position overall, which appears to be thin and lacking a true stud RB like AD, JRob, Ballard, etc
    I'll agree with you somewhat. He's not a blazer and he's not a pounder. He's more in the mold of Vic Ballard

vCash
    A lot of backs make a jump from year 1 to year 2. We are definitely not thin at this position.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by biggun View Post
    Kid is only goin to be a RS soph so he's got the room for improvement. If he doesn't fumble at A&M last year it really wouldn't even be a discussion. I know 100% that no one is going to outwork aeris in preparation for the opportunity and that includes on the study side. He's much more comfortable with the playbook and all his possible assignments. I hope several of the guys step up at that position and make a push.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    I'll agree with you somewhat. He's not a blazer and he's not a pounder. He's more in the mold of Vic Ballard
    I would be perfectly fine with another Vic. But that's just me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by somebodyshotmypaw View Post

I bet it's cause he knows no matter what he does Mullen won't play him. He's the best looking to back and never gets any playing time. Everytime he ran the ball last year he moved the chains but by God lets only give him 3 snaps a game. Hell I might have an attitude problem too if I busted my ass and never got to play when my results looked better than the one ahead of me who keeps fumbling the ball.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenheadDawg View Post
    I would be perfectly fine with another Vic. But that's just me
    And me. That worked out pretty well.

vCash
    Can anyone tell me how his SEC rushing made him look like the best back on the team? Lee had good games against the OOC opponents but Williams looked much better in SEC games. Lee had 7 rushes for 7 yards. Williams had 20 for 94 in SEC games. And before Lee missing those 3 games late in the year they had about the same opportunities and Williams out preformed Lee in SEC games.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by djaymsu5 View Post
    Hell I might have an attitude problem too if I busted my ass
    This could be the issue. Maybe he's not busting his ass.