Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Whats the word on Dontavian Lee?

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Ifyouonlyknew View Post
    This could be the issue. Maybe he's not busting his ass.
    Maybe so. You would know more than me

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by djaymsu5 View Post
    I bet it's cause he knows no matter what he does Mullen won't play him. He's the best looking to back and never gets any playing time. Everytime he ran the ball last year he moved the chains but by God lets only give him 3 snaps a game. Hell I might have an attitude problem too if I busted my ass and never got to play when my results looked better than the one ahead of me who keeps fumbling the ball.
    Here we go.

Lee didn't handle his business off the field. Playing time isn't given, it's earned. If he "busted his ass" as you say, he would've played more.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubb Rubb View Post
    Here we go.

Lee didn't handle his business off the field. Playing time isn't given, it's earned. If he "busted his ass" as you say, he would've played more.
    I hear you

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    He's more in the mold of Vic Ballard
    I just don't see that. Ballard was sneakily crazy athletic. To me he always looked like he might be a guy that was a solid RB that had outsized success because of running behind a good Oline, but of course our Oline wasn't exactly Bama quality and then every once in a while he would do something that would make you realize how athletic he really was. Not sure what it was about his running style that sort of hid how much athleticism he had.

Aeris does look about the same on a play to play basis, it's just I haven't seen anything yet to think he has that hidden burst, and of course he hasn't had the success, although he hasn't gotten to run behind a decent OL yet.

vCash
    I see the comparisons to Vic from a size and speed standpoint, but Vic has exceptional vision that can't be taught.

Lee didn't touch the ball a lot and still had some fumble issues. I think that was a lot of it.

vCash
    D Lee is a cast & on a scooter right now.
    moot point
    cautiously optimistic

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by shoeless joe View Post
    Kid is only goin to be a RS soph so he's got the room for improvement. If he doesn't fumble at A&M last year it really wouldn't even be a discussion. I know 100% that no one is going to outwork aeris in preparation for the opportunity and that includes on the study side. He's much more comfortable with the playbook and all his possible assignments. I hope several of the guys step up at that position and make a push.
    Just asking, are you from the Golden Triangle area by chance? Also, you can never be 100% on someones character, trust me I know for a FACT about that! The guy is human, not the Son of Man!

vCash
    Vic Ballard had exceptional top end speed. He also had more rushing touchdowns in 2010 than any other RB in the SEC.

vCash
    I like Nick Gibson. He has great vision, can really run between the tackles and get out of a jam. We're going to need someone who can pick their way through the line to get past the second level because our line isn't going to be blowing up huge holes.
    Death penalty or bust!!!***

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Reason2succeed View Post
    I like Nick Gibson. He has great vision, can really run between the tackles and get out of a jam. We're going to need someone who can pick their way through the line to get past the second level because our line isn't going to be blowing up huge holes.
    This. I think Gibson has the most upside from a physical running standpoint. He and Aeris are a good complement for each other.

Unfortunately, I think we see a lot of Holloway and Shump. I hope Shump moves to fullback (he's a pretty hellacious blocker) and we see more of Holloway in the slot like Myles/Dear/Gray/Mixon. I'd love to see dual slots in a power running offense where we can establish the run between tackles behind a blocking fullback, and then hit the edges with our slot guys in space. I'm thinking that is a pretty deadly combination.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DanDority View Post
    Just asking, are you from the Golden Triangle area by chance? Also, you can never be 100% on someones character, trust me I know for a FACT about that! The guy is human, not the Son of Man!

all good points. Won't argue.

I have yet to see someone outwork him on and off the field.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    Unfortunately, I think we see a lot of Holloway and Shump.
    I just don't understand this talk of seeing a lot of Shump. We didn't see much of Shump the last half of last season. The last 6 games he had 17 carries with half of those (8) coming against Missouri in a rain storm where you want the surest ball handler in the game.

vCash
    I just don't understand this talk of seeing a lot of Shump. We didn't see much of Shump the last half of last season. The last 6 games he had 17 carries with half of those (8) coming against Missouri in a rain storm where you want the surest ball handler in the game.
    He will get the chance to play himself out of the rotation again, I believe, if we play single back. He will be a senior and Dan loves his seniors. I honestly hope he is used more as a FB in a two back set this year...I think that's the correct usage for him.

That New Coach - That's better than the Old Coach
    vCash
    He will get the chance to play himself out of the rotation again, I believe, if we play single back. He will be a senior and Dan loves his seniors. I honestly hope he is used more as a FB in a two back set this year...I think that's the correct usage for him.
    I guess we'll see. I expect Aeris to be the feature back this year.

vCash
    I don't think we'll see a lot of Shump, but I am worried we will see basically what we saw at the end of last year, with Holloway, then Aeris, with occasional Shump spottings as far as RB touches go. It's crazy how much Holloway has improved and he's a legitimate weapon now, but it's still going to be a bad sign if he's doing much more than acting as a change of pace. Williams got mroe touches towards the end of the year, but we were legitimately bad at RB last yaer for the first time in such a long time that I can't even remember the name of the backs last time we were that bad at RB (Fred something was one of them), and he still spent most of the year on the bench. Maybe he just isn't that good, which is why he didn't play even though the competition was weak, or maybe he is good but his season is going to be derailed again by missing a study hall (or whatever it was that kept him on the bench last year).

vCash
    only 40 more days till we find out.... the great Oz has spoken!!!! Lee will be doing wheelies on a scooter on the sideline.
    cautiously optimistic

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by djaymsu5 View Post
    I bet it's cause he knows no matter what he does Mullen won't play him. He's the best looking to back and never gets any playing time. Everytime he ran the ball last year he moved the chains but by God lets only give him 3 snaps a game. Hell I might have an attitude problem too if I busted my ass and never got to play when my results looked better than the one ahead of me who keeps fumbling the ball.
    BS .. Majority of yards gained were against La Tech, NWestern St and Troy.

Guessed you missed the post by shoeless joe ..

Kid is only goin to be a RS soph so he's got the room for improvement. If he doesn't fumble at A&M last year it really wouldn't even be a discussion.
    If the Coach doesn't trust that you can take care of the ball .. you are NOT playing in games that count.
    Coach34 .. "We're not hiring the ****ing Pirate at Miss State. GTFO"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Really Clark? View Post
    Can anyone tell me how his SEC rushing made him look like the best back on the team? Lee had good games against the OOC opponents but Williams looked much better in SEC games. Lee had 7 rushes for 7 yards. Williams had 20 for 94 in SEC games. And before Lee missing those 3 games late in the year they had about the same opportunities and Williams out preformed Lee in SEC games.
    Except for his crucial goal line fumble @ A&M

vCash
    Lee was in no way, shape, or form given the same ops that Aeris had. I'm fine with it if the off the field stuff is true- DLee has to do his part. But anybody that watched- Lee was better than Aeris in 2015. It was obvious. Not sure why Lee's fumble out of bounds is being considered a big deal. It's not like he fumbled inside the 10 against A&M or anything.

2016 is a new season, but DLee looked better than Aeris in 2015. He just didn't get the time. There was a reason for that, and Mullen knows the behind the scenes BS. We'll see what happens this September

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Poster View Post
    Lee was in no way, shape, or form given the same ops that Aeris had. I'm fine with it if the off the field stuff is true- DLee has to do his part. But anybody that watched- Lee was better than Aeris in 2015. It was obvious. Not sure why Lee's fumble out of bounds is being considered a big deal. It's not like he fumbled inside the 10 against A&M or anything.

2016 is a new season, but DLee looked better than Aeris in 2015. He just didn't get the time. There was a reason for that, and Mullen knows the behind the scenes BS. We'll see what happens this September
    I'm sorry but looking good against LA Tech, Troy and Northwestern St AFTER we were ahead by more than 2 TD does not scream better than Aeris. (122 of his 137 yards for the season were in those games). It just doesn't. The only real game we can compare was the Kentucky game where Lee was 5 for 7 yards and Aeris 8 for 27. However you want to look at it, conference only games, power 5 only games, games against winning teams, Aeris had much better rushing average than Lee. Yes the sample size is too small but I can't see getting hyped for what he did in mop up duty in OOC games. I do believe he has potential but Aeris was the better overall back last year. That 1 yard per carry avg for Lee in conference games really hurt his stock. And he looked very timid against A & M. The fumble hurt Aeris but he was gaining yards.