Thread: Weekend Cooking and Drinking Thread

vCash

Weekend Cooking and Drinking Thread

It's the dog days of summer. No idea what I have on tap. Hopefully some Outdoor Dawgs have some big stuff going on so I can live vicariously through y'all

vCash
    Well, since my Jeep transmission died this afternoon, I thought I would drown my sorrows in good eats. Took the W Girl to one of her local favorites - had what they call the Charleston Saut?. Fresh Georgia shrimp and country ham with a file gumbo over creamy grits and fried okra. Matched it with a Shiner Ruby Redbird.

vCash
    Dude that looks awesome. Love that Shiner. On an unrelated note, one of my best employees ever just worked her last shift and when she told me bye before she left, she cried. Stuff like that keeps you going. Investing in young people, seeing them flourish, and then be appreciative is incredibly rewarding as an employer.

vCash
    Fianc? is moving into our home this weekend. It's going to be a scorcher. Got it ready to load tomorrow. May have to fire up the grill and feed the help a burger tomorrow evening.

vCash
    Picked up 30lbs of shrimp today to boil tomorrow at the Neshoba County Fair. It's going to be a hot one, as usual. Nothing special tonight, just beer.

vCash
    Gonna do some yard work and cut some trees down before the rain gets here. Got some frozen crawfish from the last boil of the year and trying to figure out something to do with them. I usually do cakes with a cream sauce, but I've been wanting a big ass potatoe with all kinds of stuff in it. Some kind of mad scientist meal with crawfish will be done by weekends end

vCash
    Down in south MS this weekend visiting the folks. May get some bedding bluegill action on in the morning.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by SpeckleDawg View Post
    Picked up 30lbs of shrimp today to boil tomorrow at the Neshoba County Fair. It's going to be a hot one, as usual. Nothing special tonight, just beer.
    Damn that's awesome. Neshoba Co Fair... Have a buddy who hid a beer in the middle of the square last year and said if it was still there, he was drinking it this year. It was there.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Damn that's awesome. Neshoba Co Fair... Have a buddy who hid a beer in the middle of the square last year and said if it was still there, he was drinking it this year. It was there.
    Bet that was tasty. NCF #29 for me this year. Just as fun as always.

vCash
    Probably the best smoked tuna dip I've had. From Tay's BBQ. Who would have thunk a BBQ joint in the Jackson metro kills it like this... They told my dad it's 100% yft

vCash
    Saturday shrimp tradition at the Fair.

vCash
    Very nice work Speck. I bet you are quite the popular guy bringing it like that!

We did steak night at our house tonight

vCash
    Grilled some salmon for the first time and roasted some broccoli. Topped off with my new favorite hot weather beer.

[IMG][/IMG]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by LC Dawg View Post
    Grilled some salmon for the first time and roasted some broccoli. Topped off with my new favorite hot weather beer.

[IMG][/IMG]
    Did you use cedar planks for the salmon? Game changer...

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Dallas_Dawg View Post
    Did you use cedar planks for the salmon? Game changer...
    I don't own cedar planks. I just saw the salmon in a market and thought I'd try to grill it. Marinated in a little soy sauce and garlic. I'll plan to get some cedar planks. I'm currently heating the grill for some Sunday evening grilled oysters.

vCash
    Not much cooking action for us...spent the weekend relaxing at our cabin on the Chickasawhay river in Greene County, MS.

Did manage to get in one good cook....elk schnitzel. Pounded these out from a bag of tenderloin I had.....if you don't save the tenderloins from your deer, or "inner loins" as I have seem them called, then make sure you do next time just to make these. We served the basil vinaigrette on them..crunchy and delicious. Basically, just cut them across the grain in about 1" medallions, pound them flat with a smooth tenderizer, then dredge in flour-egg-panko. Fry in olive oil until crispy.

vCash
    Never heard of that River. Beautiful scenery

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by BeastMan View Post
    Never heard of that River. Beautiful scenery
    The Chickasawhay and the Leaf rivers come together to form the Pascagoula River in Merrill, MS.