Thread: Looking to buy my first boat (fishing)

vCash

Looking to buy my first boat (fishing)

An used all welded 16' (or more) with a 40 mph (or more). Would like steering, electric start, trim, trolling motor, etc. my budget is $4k. Since this my first boat and I will be in the Ross Barnett Rez, I'm scared of a fiberglass boat due to stumps, trees, etc, at least until I learn my way around.

Any advice or tips are appreciated.

One question, can I run a boat like this on open water on the Rez?

vCash
    See if you can find a used tracker from Bass Pro Shop

vCash
    It will be fine on relatively calm days on Barnett. Those 5-10 mph wind days at most. Don't put a 16' out there on the main lake when it gets brisk.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by State82 View Post
    It will be fine on relatively calm days on Barnett. Those 5-10 mph wind days at most. Don't put a 16' out there on the main lake when it gets brisk.
    This. The Rez is relatively shallow and gets rough very very quick.

vCash
    Check craigslist or bassboatcentral.com

Make sure to have the engine checked before buying.

Stumps and rebar can do a number.

vCash
    Thanks to all.

Bass Chaser, I'm obviously going to need your secret spots....I'm on the Rankin side.

vCash
    Bass Chaser is dead on. If you watch Craigslist regularly, you see some deals. You just have to check consistently. I was on the Rez today. 2 weeks bites on a snipper bait. Couldn't get bit doing anything else. Saw a nice gar cruising on top and pitched in front of him. Pulled it on his nose and he turned. Wouldn't eat. Woulda been cool to sight fish a gar. Didn't catch anything.

vCash
    There's a reason they call it the dead sea this time of year. There's no secrets out there. It may be 33,000 acres but there's only about 10,000 fishable water.

vCash
    Well I ended up getting a ski boat