Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: July 4th Edition

vCash

Weekend Cooking & Drinking Thread: July 4th Edition

After work today it's on. Heading to the coast for a few days of fishing. Stay tuned...

vCash
    Mom and Dad, my brother, sister in law, and niece and nephew are coming down from Arkansas today. Got a couple butts and put them on my big easy oil less turkey fryer. 3 hours later we were chopping pork. Used sassy jones bbq made close to where I grew up in Arkansas. Got mom and dad to bring me a few bottles.

Looks like we are going to have a few more great meals. I will try to remember to get some pics and post them.

vCash
    Dude, sassy jones is an awesome sauce. Last time I saw it in Madison, I bought 3 bottles.

vCash
    A coworker had an old Char-broil offset smoker in her yard rotting, so my nephew and I took it on as a special project this weekend. We have completed all the modifications required to make it more stable: fire basket, deflector from firebox to cooking chamber, diffusing plates, stack extension, new temp gauges.

We have three racks of spare ribs, beef short ribs, pork butt and a whole packer brisket. Going all out this weekend.

vCash
    Caught 13 bass in the kayak this morning and got some practice fishing while standing. Can't wait to hit the redfish ponds in the cuda. Redfish & shrimp on the grill now.

vCash
    Before they went bankrupt a few years ago, Winn-Dixie was a great place to get steaks. Now, not so much. Have one near my house that I only use for quick needs like milk. But, they had huge porterhouse steaks on sale. This puppy was $12, and fed me and the W Girl tonight. Paired with a cheap Pinot Noir. Nice evening to start my vacation.

vCash
    Fried fish, hush puppies, and cock of the walk slaw. Sorry I didn't get any pics. Was also trying to play a little bag-o and drink a few white cans.

vCash
    What cock of the walk did you go to? That place was a fixture of my childhood.

vCash
    Got a recipe and make it myself. It may not be exact but it's really close.

vCash
    Celebrating the 4th today. Everyone has to head home tomorrow so we went ahead and started a day early. Ribs, chickens, brisket and all the fixings.

vCash
    Looks sick WeWillScrewItUp. I have terrible phone service at the place and I'm having trouble uploading pics

vCash
    Shrimp, corn, potatos and onions in the boil. I forgot to take a picture when they came out. We got on them pretty quick.

vCash
    From the re-tooled char broil smoker:

Four ribs (beef short, pork country style, St. Louis and whole spares) and boudin balls. Got a whole baby wild hog about 5 lbs on now with some chicken thighs. Fished the flint river today and yesterday with the ultralight flyrod a and wore out some redbellies and bluegill. Caught what I think is a buffalo today.

Great weekend thus far.

A nice rendered pork fat shot.

My 14 yo nephew is here with me. This is my week every year to teach him man things. His old man is a TSUN grad that has spent the better part of my nephews life in jail or otherwise seperated from him. Asshole.

We got a whole brisket for tomorrow.

vCash
    Sapper, that all looks awesome. I believe that is a freshwater drum. Also, good on you for teaching that youngster some important things.

vCash
    Had a solid 3 day fishing run. We ran to the Biloxi Marsh Saturday in our boat. Sunday we had an offshore charter. Monday I took out the kayak.

Starting with Saturday. I left the metro early in the morning. We headed got to the marsh 10ish. The plan was to fish the ponds on the last hour for redfish. Eat lunch and scout in the down time. Then when the tide starts falling, fish for big trout at the platforms in the Chandy Sound with Croakers. Caught 10 reds, lost 2 real good ones, & 6 made the cut. Added one flounder. The Chandy Sound was absolutely beautiful. Caught one big Ray and that was it. No trout. I think I'm done fishing like this for trout. Not my favorite.

When I got in I was absolutely beat so I bellied up to the Marina bar for a poboy and a beer to cap off day 1

Day 2 we had an offshore charter out of Biloxi. Newly redone 41 ft Hatteras that was sick. Very nice AC'd cabin. The deck hand was a kid who went to OM and came home to work charters all summer. Talk about the life... Kid worked his ass off too. Great trip. 6 person snapper limit with some hogs in there, a trigger fish (out of season), I got a king, a Spanish, a huge Jack, & 2 big bulls. We trolled our way in from offshore and the 2 bulls came at the same time. My brother and dad's friend had to dodge each other getting them in.

Monday I wanted to target reds from my kayak for the ultimate coastal fishing trifecta. Only problem, reds didn't cooperate. Caught 5 undersized trout but was still a good day on the yak. I fished a small bayou to escape boat traffic and hit deeper in many of the crevices, drains, and ponds that id ever been.

Another great weekend on the MS gulf coast.

vCash
    Lazy day watching Wimbledon and my Weber. Smoked 2 racks for about 3 1/2 hours.

vCash
    Crew I have to pat everyone on the back this weekend. Looks like the Outdoor Dawgs did it up big for the 4th.

vCash
    The king daddy of BBQ, and I finally nailed it perfectly. Gentlemen, the whole brisket:

This deserves some fine whiskey a bit later.

vCash
    Happy 4th from the Marshes of Glynn!

vCash
    Happy 4th gents. Beautiful brisket btw Sapper & those ribs looks great Brunswick