Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Malik Newman to Kansas

vCash
    The thing that really make me think a lot about this situation was that Horatio said Malik told him that "He didn't trust Coach Howland." Well without trust you are definitely not going to get 100% out of a player. I have no clue why Malik didn't trust Howland. I'm not around coach H everyday but that raised my eyebrows a bit on the whole situation. I agree with most of you in that Malik and Horatio are just looking for the easiest excuse they can find to blame Howland on why Malik didn't perform like he was supposed to. I believe the turf-toe injury definitely switched gears on what could have happened this year but like y'all said if Malik would just get that one and done bs out of his head he and Q could have lead this team to something special. I for one think Malik is a damn good player and very well could be a top round pick but he just was overrated in high school and played in a weak basketball state as far as competition goes. He just needed another year or two of improvement and really buying into what Howland was trying to tell him but the big head of him and Horatio got in the way. I hate this in the fact that we now have a pissed alum and previous player going to down our university and probably spread to kids all over the Jackson area that Howland didn't keep his promise or whatever. On the flip side of that I'm glad we decided to make a decision to part ways because Horatio and Malik were a cancer to this team and what Coach H is trying to instill in this program. If you aren't willing to work hard regardless if you are a 3 or 5 star then you can hit the road jack cause nobody is too good for hard work. At the end of the day when Malik's college career is over I truly believe he will realize that what Howland was trying to tell him was right and that his pride got in the way but he will never be a big enough man to admit it and always have a bitter taste in his mouth to Mississippi State. It is what it is though.

vCash
    I think the turf toe injury set the tone for Malik's experience here and he never could recover mentally from it. It happened right before the season and had lingering effects even into the SEC season. I think that more then anything was the reason he didn't have that smile or wasn't himself as far as what Horatio was saying. If they had just left it at we needed new scenery and he had bad memories from his injury there and that is why he transferred I could take that. But to say crap like we don't trust Howland and we don't fit into his system is just bullshit and trying to blame Howland for everything. I dislike Horatio a lot for how he handled this situation. Hope he learns from the immaturity in how he handled this because Self is cut from similar cloth as Howland and doesn't take any shit from anyone.

vCash
    The truth about all of this, Howland never wanted Malik back, Malik and Agent Newman have been a headache from the beginning. Injuries or not Malik sat several games during the 4th quarter, that says a lot right there. His lack of ability to handle the rock and finish shots while driving to the baskets was easy in high school, as we all saw this was a weakness in college.

There plan now, sit a year re-enter the draft and hope they get a guarantee spot next year in the Nba. If not play and see how it works out at a 5 star school of athletes.

Howland knows what's best for Msu and it wasn't Malik. Howland is going all out on Spoon II.

Good luck to the Newman's, I hope it works out for them, no use to bitter about a Ms kid when things don't work out.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by basedog View Post
    The truth about all of this, Howland never wanted Malik back, Malik and Agent Newman have been a headache from the beginning. Injuries or not Malik sat several games during the 4th quarter, that says a lot right there. His lack of ability to handle the rock and finish shots while driving to the baskets was easy in high school, as we all saw this was a weakness in college.

There plan now, sit a year re-enter the draft and hope they get a guarantee spot next year in the Nba. If not play and see how it works out at a 5 star school of athletes.

Howland knows what's best for Msu and it wasn't Malik. Howland is going all out on Spoon II.

Good luck to the Newman's, I hope it works out for them, no use to bitter about a Ms kid when things don't work out.
    I get it but I hate the way they did it. Blaming Howland for everything is not the way to go especially when the reason they were in their situation was 80% their fault.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    I get it but I hate the way they did it. Blaming Howland for everything is not the way to go especially when the reason they were in their situation was 80% their fault.
    Kinda like this, when someone doesn't think as much about the ability of your kid playing a sport, parents will defend their kids. Horatio is his own worse enemy, his dreams are much bigger than they should have been.

Believe me Howland isn't offended by what the Newman's think, I'm sure he has been down this path a few times.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by CadaverDawg View Post
    I heard that Horatio & Malik reached out to Howland the other day, saying maybe they would stick around after all if Howland still wanted Malik. If true, I guess we see what Howland said. Good job Coach. We are MSU, not the Malik Newman development program. He will never be as good as he and his Daddy think he is. They have Lebron expectations, but Ravern Johnson skills. (But that may be an insult to Ravern, bc he could shoot)
    Plus Steve (I think Steve) just reported yesterday that Howland said team chemistry this summer is already better than at any point last year. I wouldn't not be surprised at all if Howland told Malik, "thanks, but no thanks. See ya!"

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by louisvilledawg View Post
    According to Jon Rothstein's twitter, he committed and will sit out next year.
    Who? Newman?
    Whistleblower exposes: (FISA), Supreme Court Chief Justice John Roberts, 156 other judges, members of Congress, and Donald J. Trump were targeted by the HAMMER.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by MarketingBully View Post
    I think the turf toe injury set the tone for Malik's experience here and he never could recover mentally from it. It happened right before the season and had lingering effects even into the SEC season. I think that more then anything was the reason he didn't have that smile or wasn't himself as far as what Horatio was saying. If they had just left it at we needed new scenery and he had bad memories from his injury there and that is why he transferred I could take that. But to say crap like we don't trust Howland and we don't fit into his system is just bullshit and trying to blame Howland for everything. I dislike Horatio a lot for how he handled this situation. Hope he learns from the immaturity in how he handled this because Self is cut from similar cloth as Howland and doesn't take any shit from anyone.
    The turf toe didn't keep him from the NBA, he was 100% at his workout'd. His skill set kept him out of the 1st round. He needs to work on his defense, finishing at the basket and being the best #2 guard he can be.

Bennie Brown Know-It-All
    vCash
    The truth is that Malik is not as good as he thinks he is and he can't look in the mirror and accept that so he has to blame it on someone else. His daddy is his Biggest issue because his Daddy thinks his son is better than he really is as well. This entire situation is a result of an entitled bitch not being able to accept that they simply aren't as good as they thought they were. We are bringing in top recruits at a pace never seen before at our university. Good riddance To you and your family. Have fun being mad at the next coach for not being able to turn an overrated 2 guard that can't shoot into a lottery pick.
    Last edited by Jarius; 07-01-2016 at 02:41 PM.

vCash
    With what has happened to Malik and others, it highlights one of the many problems with sites that rank and evaluate players at a young age.

Sites like Perfect Game etc often times unfairly rank the kid that's a bad athlete but more skilled or the kid that is more physically mature than other kids his own age, and, by doing that, that often artificially create expectations and hype that the kid doesn't deserve or need. Then that kid falls off because others catch up, but the expectations have already been set in place.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by starkvegasdawg View Post
    Screw him either way.
    I agree. If it's one thing we don't need, it's a prima donna who thinks he is the only good player on the team.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by ShotgunDawg View Post
    With what has happened to Malik and others, it highlights one of the many problems with sites that rank and evaluate players at a young age.

Sites like Perfect Game etc often times unfairly rank the kid that's a bad athlete but more skilled or the kid that is more physically mature than other kids his own age, and, by doing that, that often artificially create expectations and hype that the kid doesn't deserve or need. Then that kid falls off because others catch up, but the expectations have already been set in place.
    I guess we were all as guilty as the recruiting sites. We all were on the Newman bandwagon before the season started, thought he was the best thing since white bread. But, it didn't work out the way we all hoped, wish the kid luck. Time to move on.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Johnson85 View Post
    That makes absolutely zero sense. If he's going to play at a school where he has to win the starting PG position or play the 2, then he should just stay at MSU and not sit out a year. He (or I guess Horatio) is either just bitter at Howland for telling him something that he realizes is the truth, or he's already ineligible for next year so that sitting out doesn't play into his decision.
    I agree with your logic. I think though that it was one of those situations in which a young man feels that he has to make a change, and that idea gets bigger and bigger.