Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: General soccer discussion thread

vCash

General soccer discussion thread

I haven't seen much soccer discussion on here lately, which surprised me considering that we have the Copa and Euro tourneys. Figured I'd see if anyone else has been following it.

My thoughts:

So after losing the Copa America in PK's, Lionel Messi says he's retiring from international play. Thoughts? I think it's the frustration talking, and I'm hoping he gives it another go. That game was something else, what with the 2 reds in the first half.

Who do you have in the Euro's? I'm digging the Iceland Cinderella story. I've been amused by the diva actions from Ronaldo, but dang that heel-flick goal was something else. I guess if you can do that, you get to throw microphones into lakes.

I've watched some MLS action, but after seeing how crazy good the international games are, the games just weren't as entrancing.

vCash
    I have watched some of the Euro and some of the Copa. I think it is frustration talking with Messi. It seems like I heard he had never won a tournament for Argentina. I think they said Maradonna gives Messi shit because he is supposedly the best player ever for Argentina but they haven't won any tournament. I guess it shows you how far behind the USA is when we didn't even look competitive with Argentina but then they didn't even win it.

I am excited about MLS since Atlanta is getting a team next year so I plan on going to check it out. I have never been to a soccer game but it looks fun on tv.

vCash
    Messi- LOLOLOLOLOLOL. I'd feel For him, if he didn't miss. Instead, he shits the bed and quits. I laughed out loud when I saw that (Real madrid fan, very much biased Haha). Wild Copa final, and even tho the event was a bit of a money grab it went well and provided some good soccer. Just hope we can see the US take that next step in Russia.

As for the Euros, they've been great. Wish I could see more, but the games have been exciting.

MLS- it's growing. It's gonna take time. But comparing today to a few years ago, it's vastly improved. Keep pumping in money and it'll keep getting better. Soon the money needs to stop being spent on aging guys and more middle tier young talents like Giovinco who can grow the league for years and not just fill seats like a Pirlo

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    I am excited about MLS since Atlanta is getting a team next year so I plan on going to check it out. I have never been to a soccer game but it looks fun on tv.
    If you want to get hooked and find a new found respect for the game, splurge (not gonna be that expensive in mls) one game and sit as close as possible. I worked in MLS and saw games from the sideline, and being that closes gives you a new found respect for both the physicality that looks soft on tv and the talent that cameras don't do justice. Sitting close and seeing how amazing their ball control is will have you gawking at even the simple stuff.

vCash
    DudyDawg, how did you like that Ronaldo flick the other day? I saved a gif of it on my phone because I was that impressed with it. Slow-mo makes it look so easy... I played HS & select soccer, so I know how they make the crazy stuff look easy.

Tbone, we played Argentina with (I think) 3 of our big names out, but I expected that to be an L for us. We just aren't top-tier yet. Sucks, but I think we're getting there.

I didn't know Atlanta was getting a team- I may be planning a family trip for a game!

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DawgHouseUnited View Post
    DudyDawg, how did you like that Ronaldo flick the other day? I saved a gif of it on my phone because I was that impressed with it. Slow-mo makes it look so easy... I played HS & select soccer, so I know how they make the crazy stuff look easy.

Tbone, we played Argentina with (I think) 3 of our big names out, but I expected that to be an L for us. We just aren't top-tier yet. Sucks, but I think we're getting there.

I didn't know Atlanta was getting a team- I may be planning a family trip for a game!
    It was sexy. I love to watch Ronaldo score goals. Also, two big upsets today. Didn't see Italy beating Spain and for sure didn't see Iceland knocking out England. How very England of them

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by DudyDawg View Post
    It was sexy. I love to watch Ronaldo score goals. Also, two big upsets today. Didn't see Italy beating Spain and for sure didn't see Iceland knocking out England. How very England of them
    #Brexit part 2...

yeah I went there...

vCash
    ICELAND? Really England? Iceland 2 England 1. Hodgson quit after the game, as he should. He better move to Iceland. ICELAND, unreal.

vCash
    #Brexit part 2...

yeah I went there...
    Don't say that to a Scot, a Welshman, or a Northern Irelander.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    ICELAND? Really England? Iceland 2 England 1. Hodgson quit after the game, as he should. He better move to Iceland. ICELAND, unreal.
    They sure seem to be the Cinderella story of the tournament.

vCash
    I just saw something to put this in perspective: Hodgson made 4.6 mil a year. Iceland's manager is a part time dentist.

vCash

Atlanta United starts next year in the new Georgia dome. Owner of the Falcons also owns the MLS team in Atlanta.
    Last edited by Tbonewannabe; 06-27-2016 at 09:54 PM.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Liverpooldawg View Post
    I just saw something to put this in perspective: Hodgson made 4.6 mil a year. Iceland's manager is a part time dentist.
    And Iceland's population is roughly = that of Leicester city...

vCash
    And Iceland's population is roughly = that of Leicester city...
    Any chance they can win against France?

vCash
    I'd say no, but I'd have guessed that England would have won today too. Heard an interesting Stat this weekend re: France. An announcer said something like "France hasn't lost a major tournament that it's hosted."

]

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Tbonewannabe View Post
    As an Atlanta refugee on the coast, I'm trying to decide if I should support my "home" with ATL or go with proximity and start supporting Orlando. Orlando is an easier trip and closer. I do like the organization A U is building with Carlos Bocanegra, but Something about Arthur Blank makes me lean to O City.

Official Elitedawg Weather Forecaster TheRef's Avatar
    vCash
    World Cup Qualifying is upon us. The Hex draw will be made July 8 for CONCACAF Qualifying. Will be interested in how our draw comes out.
    B.S. Geosciences, Professional Meteorology Concentration, Operational Emphasis
    c/o 2015
    Mississippi State University
    @Norwoodwx
    Leicester City FC Owner

vCash
    I'm just hoping Southampton can lure Klinsmann away right now. We've got to get younger and faster on the pitch, and Klinsmann proved beyond all doubt with his Copa selections he isn't going for the youth movement.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Anyone watching France-Iceland? I think France will win, but it'd be great to see Iceland continue this run. Worth noting, Kante is out for yellow card suspension today for France. Umtiti, the recent Barca signing, getting his Euro debut for France because of a yellow card suspension in the French back 4.
    It's the roller coaster of hope that this program keeps us on that makes it hell being a State fan. - CadaverDawg, 10/15/22

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by War Machine Dawg View Post
    Anyone watching France-Iceland? I think France will win, but it'd be great to see Iceland continue this run. Worth noting, Kante is out for yellow card suspension today for France. Umtiti, the recent Barca signing, getting his Euro debut for France because of a yellow card suspension in the French back 4.
    Watched parts of it. Looked like the French had it figured out. Iceland had a nice run but the frogs got some pretty goals.

Not sure how Southampton could pull Klinsmann over, but anyway we got a French manager, Puel I think.

I hate for these big tourneys to wind down, I've loved seeing all this world-class soccer. Has made me want to drag my 6 year old outside and play some with her!