Thread: Future P5 non-conference opponents

vCash

Future P5 non-conference opponents

With Auburn announcing a home and home w/ Penn State today, it got me thinking about who would be next for MSU? We have BYU, Kansas State, NC State, and Arizona already scheduled. I'm thinking Washington State may be on deck. They recently hired Kirk Schulz as their President from Kansas State and he has MSU ties. They've already announced a home and home with Kansas State.

Banned
    vCash
    I'd like to see a traditional B1G school (not Rutgers, Nebraska or Maryland). I'd probably even make that road trip. Maybe Indiana or Purdue.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Taog Redloh View Post
    I'd like to see a traditional B1G school (not Rutgers, Nebraska or Maryland). I'd probably even make that road trip. Maybe Indiana or Purdue.
    We need one marque OOC game. Nebraska would be great. I want three patsies and one real game that we can get great exposure nationally.

That is what LSU, Bama, AU, A&M and the bears are doing and it is the right move. A non confernce game against Purdue? I like the KSU and Zona games.

vCash
    That way Mullen can knock out the game + job interviews all in one trip.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    We need one marque OOC game. Nebraska would be great. I want three patsies and one real game that we can get great exposure nationally.

That is what LSU, Bama, AU, A&M and the bears are doing and it is the right move. A non confernce game against Purdue? I like the KSU and Zona games.
    When aTm, AU, and OM all get skull drug opening weekend, you will rethink your "right move" statement.

vCash
    I'm surprised we haven't tried something with Ohio State. Not sure they would want to play us since it's not a 100% win-win scenario for them, but with the urben/Mullen tie it would be a big TV game.

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinto View Post
    I'm surprised we haven't tried something with Ohio State. Not sure they would want to play us since it's not a 100% win-win scenario for them, but with the urben/Mullen tie it would be a big TV game.
    They would never come to Starkville. Would require us to play in Atlanta or some other metropolitan area they want to recruit.

vCash
    This is a handy site to keep around - http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/sec/...e-bulldogs.php

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by missouridawg View Post
    When aTm, AU, and OM all get skull drug opening weekend, you will rethink your "right move" statement.
    When A&M beat a top 20 ASU team last year by 20, they received tons of exposure. They are the 2:30 CBS game this year against UCLA. Its great for their brand. Even though their results are worst than ours, they are branding themselves as a national brand. National brands play 1 big OOC game a year - now on Labor day weekend.

Its not just the game, its the weeks of hype leading up to the game.

Shit, I expect AU to get rolled by Clemson, but if they are competitive, its a win for AU. As for the bears, I don't know what to expect in that game. I expect them to lose, but they are the only game being played on Labor Day night. That is a ton of exposure.

If you want to be a national program, you have to act like it. These teams are acting like it, we should too. Scheduling a OOC game against Purdue is a freaking LT move.

Banned
    vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by HancockCountyDog View Post
    When A&M beat a top 20 ASU team last year by 20, they received tons of exposure. They are the 2:30 CBS game this year against UCLA. Its great for their brand. Even though their results are worst than ours, they are branding themselves as a national brand. National brands play 1 big OOC game a year - now on Labor day weekend.

Its not just the game, its the weeks of hype leading up to the game.

Shit, I expect AU to get rolled by Clemson, but if they are competitive, its a win for AU. As for the bears, I don't know what to expect in that game. I expect them to lose, but they are the only game being played on Labor Day night. That is a ton of exposure.

If you want to be a national program, you have to act like it. These teams are acting like it, we should too. Scheduling a OOC game against Purdue is a freaking LT move.
    Acting like you are a national program when you aren't is even worse.

You do realize that those neutral site games are chosen, right? I don't think teams get to dictate where they go, outside the elite, who can call the shots. You essentially have to be invited.

vCash
    Have been wanting a game with Purdue for a long time....another great land grant institution that has a known name and would be a good candidate home and away

vCash
    Quote Originally Posted by was21 View Post
    Have been wanting a game with Purdue for a long time....another great land grant institution that has a known name and would be a good candidate home and away
    These are the kind of games we should be playing. Power 5, known name, but still an easy win on the schedule. The problem is that everybody worth a damn is trying to get teams like this on their schedule.

vCash
    Same here. Someone like Iowa or Illinois, maybe a Michigan State (can't see Michigan or Nebraska agreeing to come to Starkville yet, even if scheduled years in advance).
    The Liberation will not be televised--- when it arrives like lightning in the skies!